The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

UWE Bristol

Hi! I am currently in my last year of a levels and obviously need to apply to UCAS soon with my five uni options. I’ve had a look at a few already. I want to study graphic design for my course. I have always been interested in studying in Bristol but it is obviously renowned for being more academic so I came across UWE Bristol which actually does the course I want. I was wondering, how good is it for art and design courses like graphics?? What is it like ? Do students like it ??
Reply 1
I don't know much about this as I'm only in year 12 but I think the city of Bristol is known for arts so it's a good place to be if you want to go into a design area in future. Also I've seen this course in a top 10 list of graphics courses somewhere, can't remember exactly why or where it was, but I assume it's good! I'm interested to see what anyone else says as I might be looking at this course more in the future.
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Original post by evie08
Hi! I am currently in my last year of a levels and obviously need to apply to UCAS soon with my five uni options. I’ve had a look at a few already. I want to study graphic design for my course. I have always been interested in studying in Bristol but it is obviously renowned for being more academic so I came across UWE Bristol which actually does the course I want. I was wondering, how good is it for art and design courses like graphics?? What is it like ? Do students like it ??

Hi @evie08,

So great to hear that you're considering UWE Bristol!

We've had someone ask about this course recently on another thread, so I asked one of our Graphic Design students for a response - I will post what he came back with here :smile:

"If you are looking at studying Graphic Design at UWE Bristol, here are some experiences, hints, advice and general insights that will hopefully help your decision making.

As a third year, I have found this course very challenging but, it pushes you in directions you never thought you’d explore and allows for a vast expansion of your art style and portfolio everything that this course has offered; workshops, guest speakers, competitions, employer meet ups etc. has allowed myself and my peers to develop professionally. With its experience so far, thanks to the course’s structure, I was able to be part of multitude internships UWE Bristol has to offer and work for The Students’ Union in their marketing department as a Junior Graphic Designer in my first year, all by presenting the work I have produced in my course as part of my portfolio.

Campus you will be studying in the Arnolfini building, an art exhibition centre located in the heart of Bristol’s harbourside, the location couldn’t be more perfect for inspiring architecture, scenery and atmosphere which has a positive impact on your productivity.

Accommodation there are many places that offer student accommodation, they all vary in terms of popularity and condition so it’s best to do your research before you choose a place to live in for your first year. If you don’t mind livelier accommodation I would recommend ‘Marketgate’ and if you’re looking at something more quiet, I would look into Harbourcourt.

Hope this helps in your decision making,

Good Luck!

Dawid"

In terms of the city itself, @ella.n. is right - Bristol is a very cultural place with lots of different museums to visit and a multitude of arts events and festivals. If you're creative, the home of Banksy is a great place to be!

If you have any further questions then please don't hesitate to ask :h:

Best wishes,
Lois
Reply 3
Brilliant! Thank you! Also, i have two more questions. I know you need 112 UCAS points for a place but when I apply on the 15 Jan, do I have to submit a portfolio? And if so is this digitally or do I have to come for an interview? And my second q - I know you shouldn’t base your uni decision on night life obviously but, as it still plays a part in uni life, what is the night life like at UWE Bristol?
Evie
Original post by evie08
Brilliant! Thank you! Also, i have two more questions. I know you need 112 UCAS points for a place but when I apply on the 15 Jan, do I have to submit a portfolio? And if so is this digitally or do I have to come for an interview? And my second q - I know you shouldn’t base your uni decision on night life obviously but, as it still plays a part in uni life, what is the night life like at UWE Bristol?
Evie

Hi @evie08,

I just had a quick chat with Admissions and no, none of our Architecture courses require a portfolio, and you won't be asked to interview either - phew! Your whole application is based on your UCAS application.

There is lots to choose from in terms of nightlife like in Bristol, so it depends entirely on what you like. Stokes Croft is a more 'edgy' area, known for more electronic/techno music and related genres. If you prefer pop and/or chart music, there is a Pryzm and a Popworld, just to mention a few! There are also plenty of LGBT+ bars and clubs to choose from.

However, if you prefer a slightly quieter time in a cosy pub, King Street is best for this - lots of beautiful old pubs on a cobbled street. There are also plenty of cocktail bars and live music venues to choose from all over the city. Gloucester Road is also known as a popular area for restaurants and bars.

Those are just a few examples - Bristol is a lively cultural hub and I really believe that there is something for everyone here!

I hope that helps,

Lois
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you! I’m actually looking to do a graphic design BA hons course, is that portfolio entry ?
Original post by evie08
Thank you! I’m actually looking to do a graphic design BA hons course, is that portfolio entry ?

Hi @evie08,

My apologies, really sorry but I got mixed up with someone who asked a similar question on another thread.

The BA(Hons) Graphic Design course is portfolio entry. Once you submit your UCAS application, we will send you a confirmation of receipt and a login to your UWE Welcome website, where you can track the progress of your application. This is where we will submit a request to see your portfolio. You can see some advice from us on what to include in your portfolio here.

If your portfolio shows a commitment to and knowledge of Graphic Design, you will be invited to a selection session where you will have the opportunity to present a collection of your creative work to demonstrate a good practical ability.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer, and sorry about the mix-up!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,

Lois
Original post by evie08

Did you apply in the end? I firmed UWE a few months back for UWE 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending