Is it good to revise with music Watch

JaydenTC03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I've been trying to revise recently and I've been using music but i'm wondering whether that is good actually memorising information, Thanks
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I tried this myself, for me it doesnt work but it does kill the silence in the room though.

For some people it may work, for others it could hinder memorising when studying.
sqrt of 5
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
it does work for me. However, it depends on the type of music that you listen to
JaydenTC03
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by sqrt of 5)
it does work for me. However, it depends on the type of music that you listen to
Would you say only non vocal music? or do oyu think that matters
sqrt of 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by JaydenTC03)
It does matter especially if you know the song.
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
Do it for maths a level, works well I’d say cos I just enjoy doing maths when listening to music

I do economics too, I don’t listen to music though when I revise it cos it’s more information heavy
sqrt of 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Agree, I love listening to music while I do maths. https://youtu.be/IglakUPNmj0 try this one (I also use this one because it's Christmas time) and lemme know
queenofswords
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I used to listen to System of a Down during revision. The repetitive verses helped me remember stuff.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by JaydenTC03)
There have been studies which suggest that listening to music can affect the part of your working memory, more specifically the phonological loop. Instrumental music works better than music with vocals but both are still disruptive. However overall there have been mixed findings that suggest music doesn't make a difference.

Though obviously everyone is different so you should aim to experiment with yourself to see if lt works for you or not, we can't universally say whether it works or not.
XOR_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I mostly listen to music or watch a tv series whilst revising.
If you can revise for a long time w/o either then that's probably going to be best but I get too bored after 30mins.
Hammad(214508)
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If it has lyrics then don't listen to it, it definitely affects your performance as part of your brain will be dedicated to listen, understand, remember and even sing the song, many studies show that. Psycology students correct me if I am wrong.
C_Howland
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I find that listening to music makes me feel more motivated to revise, but I don’t know if there is any significant difference if I do or don’t. It depends what sort of work I’m doing (eg i wouldn’t listen to anything while writing an essay, but might put something on in the background if I was just drawing out mind maps.) I think it’s up to personal preference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (145)
24.37%
Pop (145)
24.37%
Jazz (26)
4.37%
Classical (34)
5.71%
Hip-Hop (104)
17.48%