saad_01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
So i want to do an epq based on surgery and how it has advanced but need a title that asks a question that i should answer by the end of it. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
a-rose02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A ‘to what extent’ question can be good for research projects, it’d mean you can say how far it’s developed, or you could just go along the lines of asking how has surgery developed over x. number of years. Just look at what it is you’ll be researching and what your aims are, your question will essentially be answered in your conclusion so think about what you’re wanting to find out by the end of the project and your question should lie within that. Hope this helps!
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the more specific the better for an EPQ!

if I were you I'd do something along the lines of "to what extent".
consider the major factors of developments of surgery: pain, infection, blood loss, technology, etc. (pick 2 or 3)
apply these to a particular metric e.g. death rate, number of people undergoing surgery (could be very interesting with regards to the black period where people were more willing to undergo surgery but also more people died from infections)
then together: to what extent did factors A, B & C affect X metric in Y time frame.

but its completely individual and you have to enjoy doing it, its a big piece of work. i think what i have suggested could easily be carried out but involves a lot of just comparison and number crunching. for reference, my EPQ was about comparing the rates of heart disease in two countries to see why they're as extreme as they are.
saad_01
Rep:
?
Thanks alot guys this was really helpful, I think i'll go for a question along the lines of
"To what extent has the advancement of technology and the more widespread knowledge of disease and infection has affected peoples willingness to undergo surgery and the mortality rates associated with surgery."
Does that seem too broad or is it fine? I feel like researching surgery will be enjoyable for me but my lack of question was making my epq a bit of a pain.
Last edited by saad_01; 1 year ago
a-rose02
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by saad_01)
Thanks alot guys this was really helpful, I think i'll go for a question along the lines of
"To what extent has the advancement of technology and the more widespread knowledge of disease and infection has affected peoples willingness to undergo surgery and the mortality rates associated with surgery."
Does that seem too broad or is it fine? I feel like researching surgery will be enjoyable for me but my lack of question was making my epq a bit of a pain.
I’d say that’s a good question, but that’s essentially four things you’d be looking at, and it’s about your word count and how much detail you’d be wanting to include for each part. I would say possibly limit it to either advancement of technology or widespread knowledge of disease and infection, as both of those are quite big topics and you could get a lot of research done for just one of them. It’s entirely up to you though, and I completely understand your situation- it took me weeks to settle on a title for one of my projects!
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
that sounds good, are you comparing which factor has affected surgery more? that would make it easy to have a clear focus and conclusion.
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by a-rose02)
I’d say that’s a good question, but that’s essentially four things you’d be looking at, and it’s about your word count and how much detail you’d be wanting to include for each part. I would say possibly limit it to either advancement of technology or widespread knowledge of disease and infection, as both of those are quite big topics and you could get a lot of research done for just one of them. It’s entirely up to you though, and I completely understand your situation- it took me weeks to settle on a title for one of my projects!
Alternatively, start with that and then, in your learning log amend your title to one part or the other and say that as you researched it you realised that it was effectively two different topics and you decided to concentrate on ......whichever part you do - they love to see evidence of evolution of the EPQ from research.
a-rose02
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Simbasoul)
Alternatively, start with that and then, in your learning log amend your title to one part or the other and say that as you researched it you realised that it was effectively two different topics and you decided to concentrate on ......whichever part you do - they love to see evidence of evolution of the EPQ from research.
Definitely agree with this, you can get a lot of marks using this in your self evaluation. I ended up doing something similar after I went over my word count, and was able to talk about how I limited what I included and how I improved the project.
saad_01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simbasoul)
Thank you, this seems like what I will go with as my teacher also seemed to really like it when a fellow student changed her idea midway through to be more specific. I think i'll end up with the more widespread knowledge of disease and infection as I have already done a little research on that and it interested me more than technology currently is but then again further research could change my mind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads