The Student Room Group

How come i feel fairly ‘ok’ with how i look yet others think im unattractive?

Ive always been fairly satisfied with how i look yet going off past experiences it seems i shouldnt be.

When I was at college I got rated as the least attractive in the class. It was in psychology for a natural selection topic the (youngish/wanted to be cool type) teacher got us to write on a piece of paper a number out of 10 for each other and fold it and put it in a tub, so it was anonymous.

Before this he went round the class and asked us if we all agreed, i should have said no but i was curious so said yes. Anyway turns out i got a string of 4’s, 5’s and one 6. All our numbers were written on the board and averaged i got 4.7 average, this was the lowest even below the teacher. Iremember trying to smirk/laugh to hide the embarrasment and people just looking at me. At the time i was happy with my facial features etc and i did athletics so was physically in good shape.

I was very quiet and wernt friends with any of the class (i have poor social skills) so that might have had something to do with it. The teacher put on my report that i was ‘very withdrawn’. Or could have been because i was a tomboy and had no idea how to style my hair (i still dont). Or could be more likely im a genuine ugly **** lol, i am only 5ft which isvery short eventhough im a female.

I remember comments from parents when i was a teenager my mum would go on about my hair and said i was doing something wrong, once she even said she cringed sometimes when she was with me but i think this was during an argument. Then when out with family my mum noticed my dad looking at me, she said ‘what’ then trying to be funny he said i cant work out if its her hair thats a mess or her face’. He told me mum that he was nicer than me when he was a lad, when he said ‘you wernt that bloody nice’ he said ‘i didnt say i was nice but i was nicer than her’.

Eitherway 9 years on now i do worry what others think but i stilldont wear much makeip and still have no idea how to stylemy hair, its always a mess. Before i gonoht though i just look in the mirror and think ‘that’l do’. My family say short hair would suit me best as long hair makes me look like a ‘drag’ but most peoplesay that short it less attractive on women so i daren’t cut it short lol.

But yea how come ive always been ‘ok’ with how i look yet for some reason others arn’t?. Very occassionally ive been called pretty but only out of politeness.

Scroll to see replies

same
Reply 2
You fall outside the "social norm" I guess - people fear different - as long as you are happy with the way you appear then it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. I know that can have a knock on your confidence - overtime but you shouldn't let it.
I’m sorry but what the actual ****.

Your parents sound like ****heads and the teacher really shouldn’t have done that game.

I think you’ve been very unlucky in terms of who you’re around.

But idk maybe you don’t care about your looks because you’re simply just not bothered. I’m sure plenty of people feel like that, you see enough people who look it anyway.
your teacher must have been an unprofessional deek to behave like that.

smh
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Ive always been fairly satisfied with how i look yet going off past experiences it seems i shouldnt be.

When I was at college I got rated as the least attractive in the class. It was in psychology for a natural selection topic the (youngish/wanted to be cool type) teacher got us to write on a piece of paper a number out of 10 for each other and fold it and put it in a tub, so it was anonymous.

Before this he went round the class and asked us if we all agreed, i should have said no but i was curious so said yes. Anyway turns out i got a string of 4’s, 5’s and one 6. All our numbers were written on the board and averaged i got 4.7 average, this was the lowest even below the teacher. Iremember trying to smirk/laugh to hide the embarrasment and people just looking at me. At the time i was happy with my facial features etc and i did athletics so was physically in good shape.

I was very quiet and wernt friends with any of the class (i have poor social skills) so that might have had something to do with it. The teacher put on my report that i was ‘very withdrawn’. Or could have been because i was a tomboy and had no idea how to style my hair (i still dont). Or could be more likely im a genuine ugly **** lol, i am only 5ft which isvery short eventhough im a female.

I remember comments from parents when i was a teenager my mum would go on about my hair and said i was doing something wrong, once she even said she cringed sometimes when she was with me but i think this was during an argument. Then when out with family my mum noticed my dad looking at me, she said ‘what’ then trying to be funny he said i cant work out if its her hair thats a mess or her face’. He told me mum that he was nicer than me when he was a lad, when he said ‘you wernt that bloody nice’ he said ‘i didnt say i was nice but i was nicer than her’.

Eitherway 9 years on now i do worry what others think but i stilldont wear much makeip and still have no idea how to stylemy hair, its always a mess. Before i gonoht though i just look in the mirror and think ‘that’l do’. My family say short hair would suit me best as long hair makes me look like a ‘drag’ but most peoplesay that short it less attractive on women so i daren’t cut it short lol.

But yea how come ive always been ‘ok’ with how i look yet for some reason others arn’t?. Very occassionally ive been called pretty but only out of politeness.

your teacher was utterly thoughtless and insensitive. there are thousands of ways of teaching natural selection without making it personal to class members. Stop caring about other people's opinions of your looks especially when they are not even close friends of yours.And what does 'attractive " mean anyway? everyone has a different opinion of what this means. What is most important is what you think of yourself- that's the point- not the foolishness of a so called class teacher!
For most it will work like this (in my opinion):

- 10-15% of people will consider you attractive.
- 40-55% are neutral
- The rest don't find you attractive

Some people just happen to exposed to that 10-15% all the time, others exposed to 'the rest' most of the time, but in reality, these percentages apply to most people, so do't worry. And often times a small feature can make a big difference. For many people, changing their hairstyle can make a massive difference. E.g. Jon Snow from GoT > if he didn't have the long, King like hair and instead got a buzzcut, he definitely wouldn't be looked at the same way by many people
If you're happy with how you are then why question it?
Surely your own happiness is more important then how you look
Anyway, attractiveness doesn't matter on a day to day basis - I don't look at every person I see and make an informed decision about whether they are attractive enough, it's more to do with what they say and how they speak etc.
If you're content then you're content, don't let the shallow opinions of others take it away from you
Let me first start by saying beauty is a social construct.

What is the norm for beauty in one country will not be the same in others.

Then when we go deeper than that, beauty is differently defined by each being. Hence the saying ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’. Some people will think that your looks are of utter perfection, some will not. Realistically both peoples thoughts are completely irrelevant.

You say that you are happy with how you look, that’s all that matters. If you’re happy the radiance will shine through and people will see your happiness and confidence which people find an attractive quality.

And remember, the inside is a much more beautiful quality than any external factor. If you have a beautiful soul and a great personality, you are beautiful no matter what.

Sam
I am absolutely infuriated that your teacher did that? I would have made a formal complaint, what a horrible situation to put you in.

I’m disgusted that such thoughtless, insensitive morons are allowed in front of the class!
What a prick.

Don’t take it as gospel though, at all.
All the girls who were thought of as the least attractive in my school are now actually the most attractive post-uni! I think in school people measure attractiveness in terms of popularity and style. But after school people really see past that.
(edited 5 years ago)

I'd also rate you 4.7, having never met you.
Original post by SamM7531
Let me first start by saying beauty is a social construct.

What is the norm for beauty in one country will not be the same in others.

Then when we go deeper than that, beauty is differently defined by each being. Hence the saying ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’. Some people will think that your looks are of utter perfection, some will not. Realistically both peoples thoughts are completely irrelevant.

You say that you are happy with how you look, that’s all that matters. If you’re happy the radiance will shine through and people will see your happiness and confidence which people find an attractive quality.

And remember, the inside is a much more beautiful quality than any external factor. If you have a beautiful soul and a great personality, you are beautiful no matter what.

Sam

Beauty is not a social construct. Don't lie.

It doesn't really matter what others think about your looks as long as you are happy with it. You should be more focused on your education right now, or else, you will have wasted your time thinking about looks and then, in the future, worrying about making money or something.

Also, I don't like it when girls wear make-up. Why hide your face?
If I was going out with a girl, I would not want her to wear make up.
Original post by That'sGreat
I’m sorry but what the actual ****.

Your parents sound like ****heads and the teacher really shouldn’t have done that game.

I think you’ve been very unlucky in terms of who you’re around.

But idk maybe you don’t care about your looks because you’re simply just not bothered. I’m sure plenty of people feel like that, you see enough people who look it anyway.

Word.

Please, for the love of god, do NOT let those sh*tholes rob you off your confidence. You see yourself as attractive? Then f*ck yeah, you ARE attractive. All this bullsh*t about how we need to conform to stereotypes or societal norms are just that - bullsh*t. As an educator myself, I'm just livid at how your teacher went about asking every one to grade their looks. I'm sorry but in what universe is that even education? Stupid stupid teacher.

Heed what is being said here - it doesn't matter what others think of you; what matters is what you think of yourself.

Listen, I'm super proud of you. You're a confident woman and to me, confidence is sexy. Milk it for all its worth. Own your beauty. If you want to amp it up (e.g go for a haircut, dye your hair, style it a different way) do it only because YOU want to not because society dictates it to be so. Beauty really is a social construct so trying to appease others is a pointless endeavour.

Good luck and keep shining!
To me it's called confidence, which we all should have but we're to ****ing dependent on what others think.

Be proud of yourself, love yourself x
Original post by serendeepity
Word.

Please, for the love of god, do NOT let those sh*tholes rob you off your confidence. You see yourself as attractive? Then f*ck yeah, you ARE attractive. All this bullsh*t about how we need to conform to stereotypes or societal norms are just that - bullsh*t. As an educator myself, I'm just livid at how your teacher went about asking every one to grade their looks. I'm sorry but in what universe is that even education? Stupid stupid teacher.

Heed what is being said here - it doesn't matter what others think of you; what matters is what you think of yourself.

Listen, I'm super proud of you. You're a confident woman and to me, confidence is sexy. Milk it for all its worth. Own your beauty. If you want to amp it up (e.g go for a haircut, dye your hair, style it a different way) do it only because YOU want to not because society dictates it to be so. Beauty really is a social construct so trying to appease others is a pointless endeavour.

Good luck and keep shining!

I specifically only focused on the teacher and her parents being rude.

This “you are attractive” crap is not only wrong, but gives them false hope.

She is unattractive, she should accept that and move on.

Sorry but I disagree. There are different levels of attractiveness. How you and I view beauty may be different and for whatever it's worth, I applaud her confidence.

You telling me what is wrong, is rude. I take no offense that you think my views are crap. That's your right but don't ever tell people they're wrong for not seeing things the way you do. Let's agree to disagree.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
which teacher suggests playing such a game??
Everyone perceives you differently, just because you got the lowest score doesn’t mean you’re ugly, not at all.Ask other groups Of people and you’ll get totally different answers. But to be fair you shouldn’t base yourself on a silly number that means absolutley nothing. What others think of you really shouldn’t matter, but tbh thats one major reason why so many people have such low self esteems and it’s sad. If you’re happy with yourself than seriously don’t take into account what others say, at the end of the day you have to think and care for yourself as it’s your life you’re living not theirs so why allow them to affect you, and as for your parents, I’m sure they’d be the first to worry if you ever got depressed because of what them and others say and they’ll be the first to say they don’t know why. Not good at all... Take care.
(edited 5 years ago)

Oh shut the hell up. No body is unattractive to everybody, we all like different things. You can't just generalise like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending