The Student Room Group

Why bother going to a university outside top 30 UK rank?

I was doing research into a top university, the workload is a lot harder, they do more modules and are marked more harshly. While a bottom tier university, do half the modules, easier content and can pretty much party all year and attain a first. Which why a university like oxford attains the same number of firsts from a University like London Southbank or London Met for the same degree!

In other words a university outside the top tier, are pretty much worthless.

Scroll to see replies

That's some original "research" you've done there...
mods should close this thread
Yawwwwnnnnnnn!
Things like this make me want to quit TSR forever :facepalm:
A first is given to a certain percentile of the cohort. Also, the exams are written by the Universities and not an external exam board, so I assume the 'lower' universities have easier exams lol. What you should really be asking is; why bother doing a degree other then a STEM one, unless it's at oxbridge.
Reply 6
Sorry to break it but your state of the art very exquisite research doesn’t add up, I know someone who went to a ‘top 10’ but still works in retail and someone who went to a ‘below average’ uni who now earns 40k+ a year in their field of study 2 years after graduating. Truth is it’s all down to who you are and what your real capability is because real life is different than the life you know in books.
Well, the reason people do is that they can use their degrees from other non top 30 universities to compete for largely the same jobs when they graduate.

Generally, the subject of a degree matters more than the place where you studied it.
Oh gosh
Reply 9
Conversely... Going to all that effort and hard work to get in to and then succeed at a top uni is massively wasting your time and energy when you can get the same result ("First in English") from a uni where you can relax.
Because some people want to go to university but perhaps:

a) They don't necessarily like the top ones
b) They want to stay at home and the top 30 don't allow that
c) They don't have the grades to go to a top uni

There's no need to judge people
Other than anything else, the number of modules is completely irrelevant. Everybody does the same number of credits a year, they're just split differently. I'm doing 9 modules this year (8 which are worth 10 credits, and 1 which is worth 40 credits). My flatmate - same uni, different subject - is doing 12 modules this year, each 10 credits.

I would be surprised if it's true that top 30 unis do more modules than other unis, but even if it is true, that doesn't mean that they're doing any more credits. It just means that the work is being divided into smaller chunks at top 30s.
'Worthless' - without worth; of no use, importance, or value; good-for-nothing. - https://www.dictionary.com/browse/worthless

Could you explain how it's the case that many graduates are accepted onto Masters degree programmes and Graduate schemes despite having a 'worthless' degree?
I went to a University outside the top 30 doing a non stem subject with bad A-levels (BCD), but I supplemented myself with relevant work experience whilst studying to get a graduate position over the £30k mark at a top Aerospace company. If you work hard and differentiate yourself from others going to University you can make up the difference and university is worthwhile, I know 3 years ago I thought the exact same as this title and thought I would be lucky to get a job, but a lot of companies do not even care about what university you went to as long as you have work experience.

Sure going to a top notch university is great but the difference can be made up through extra curricular activities and work experience to a certain extent.
What do you think a "module" is?
So you can do less work at a lower ranked university, get the same degree/classification, and you're questioning why people would do that? The real question is why bother going to a top ranked uni.
That isn't how the real world works. Employers are in business to make money and they will hire whoever is best able to assist them in that endeavour regardless of academic background. Employers are not there simply to reward someone because they happened to work hard in academia. Indeed many people have extremely successful high-paid careers without going to university at all.
That would make a better opening post than the crap you spouted before.

The bolded aren't true. There are many factors that play a role- it's correlation, not causation.
Original post by Themysticalegg
I went to a University outside the top 30 doing a non stem subject with bad A-levels (BCD), but I supplemented myself with relevant work experience whilst studying to get a graduate position over the £30k mark at a top Aerospace company. If you work hard and differentiate yourself from others going to University you can make up the difference and university is worthwhile, I know 3 years ago I thought the exact same as this title and thought I would be lucky to get a job, but a lot of companies do not even care about what university you went to as long as you have work experience.

Sure going to a top notch university is great but the difference can be made up through extra curricular activities and work experience to a certain extent.

Ooh what do you do? :smile:
Each degree was earned. Just earned differently.

Troll harder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending