Why bother going to a university outside top 30 UK rank? Watch

King Arthur 284
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I was doing research into a top university, the workload is a lot harder, they do more modules and are marked more harshly. While a bottom tier university, do half the modules, easier content and can pretty much party all year and attain a first. Which why a university like oxford attains the same number of firsts from a University like London Southbank or London Met for the same degree!

In other words a university outside the top tier, are pretty much worthless.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sigh... this has been done to death since the tsr domain was purchased years ago.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's some original "research" you've done there...
jambojim97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
mods should close this thread
King Arthur 284
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
That's some original "research" you've done there...
Just have a look at number of firsts from top tier unis to bottom. Pretty much identical. In some cases a bottom tier university has more firsts. https://www.timeshighereducation.com...irsts-revealed

Also I was doing course content research, a top university has a lot more content and far more modules then a bottom tier.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The premise may be true (there may be differences in workload depending on the subject and who's teaching it), but the conclusion is shet

I'm actually surprised that the OP isn't a one-gem troll.
Seamus123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yawwwwnnnnnnn!
MinaBee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Things like this make me want to quit TSR forever :facepalm:
Dentist2024
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A first is given to a certain percentile of the cohort. Also, the exams are written by the Universities and not an external exam board, so I assume the 'lower' universities have easier exams lol. What you should really be asking is; why bother doing a degree other then a STEM one, unless it's at oxbridge.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by King Arthur 284)

So you've picked top 30 as a representation of the top tier because why? Seems like an awfully arbitrary number.

You're happily ignoring that "top tier" unis have stronger students, which is reflected by harder content. If the distribution of Firsts is as uniform as you imply (which it isn't), that suggests a First is a totally objective measure when the university is taken into account.

And your evidence that students who graduate from non-top 30 unis have wasted their time on worthless degrees is what?

It's like you're not even trying.
storm95
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sorry to break it but your state of the art very exquisite research doesn’t add up, I know someone who went to a ‘top 10’ but still works in retail and someone who went to a ‘below average’ uni who now earns 40k+ a year in their field of study 2 years after graduating. Truth is it’s all down to who you are and what your real capability is because real life is different than the life you know in books.
···
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, the reason people do is that they can use their degrees from other non top 30 universities to compete for largely the same jobs when they graduate.

Generally, the subject of a degree matters more than the place where you studied it.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh gosh
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why study Dentistry at UCLan when you can study it at Cambridge innit
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by King Arthur 284)
Conversely... Going to all that effort and hard work to get in to and then succeed at a top uni is massively wasting your time and energy when you can get the same result ("First in English") from a uni where you can relax.
iseesparksfly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Because some people want to go to university but perhaps:

a) They don't necessarily like the top ones
b) They want to stay at home and the top 30 don't allow that
c) They don't have the grades to go to a top uni

There's no need to judge people
King Arthur 284
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dentist2024)
A first is given to a certain percentile of the cohort. Also, the exams are written by the Universities and not an external exam board, so I assume the 'lower' universities have easier exams lol. What you should really be asking is; why bother doing a degree other then a STEM one, unless it's at oxbridge.
Employers don’t look at STEM subjects, unless you want to specfically work in that film. Like people who want to be lawyers studying law. People with History degrees for example from top universities land jobs like top banking positions.
StrangeLilBean
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Other than anything else, the number of modules is completely irrelevant. Everybody does the same number of credits a year, they're just split differently. I'm doing 9 modules this year (8 which are worth 10 credits, and 1 which is worth 40 credits). My flatmate - same uni, different subject - is doing 12 modules this year, each 10 credits.

I would be surprised if it's true that top 30 unis do more modules than other unis, but even if it is true, that doesn't mean that they're doing any more credits. It just means that the work is being divided into smaller chunks at top 30s.
King Arthur 284
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
So you've picked top 30 as a representation of the top tier because why? Seems like an awfully arbitrary number.

You're happily ignoring that "top tier" unis have stronger students, which is reflected by harder content. If the distribution of Firsts is as uniform as you imply (which it isn't), that suggests a First is a totally objective measure when the university is taken into account.

And your evidence that students who graduate from non-top 30 unis have wasted their time on worthless degrees is what?

It's like you're not even trying.
30 is a subjective number, I meant those outside the standard classes as top that we all know.
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
'Worthless' - without worth; of no use, importance, or value; good-for-nothing. - https://www.dictionary.com/browse/worthless

Could you explain how it's the case that many graduates are accepted onto Masters degree programmes and Graduate schemes despite having a 'worthless' degree?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (264)
80.73%
Leave (63)
19.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise