Why bother going to a university outside top 30 UK rank? Watch

Poooky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by King Arthur 284)
Its causation my friend, conduct a hypothesis test and see.
What a joke. No, it's not. Going to a top university does not get you a good job. The person, based on evidence of their experience/competencies/work ethic/values/blagging ability etc, gets the job. There are thousands of top uni grads doing nothing at all. You'll be one of them if you don't understand this
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Assuming that people don't end up at the top universities because they don't put in enough hard work is a very simplistic and naive view. Also some of us would rather study a subject we actually enjoy at a lower-ranked uni than go to a more ~prestigious~ one in the hope that it'll impress people. Going to a good uni is not a substitute for a personality.
King Arthur 284
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Poooky)
What a joke. No, it's not. Going to a top university does not get you a good job. The person, based on evidence of their experience/competencies/work ethic/values/blagging ability etc, gets the job. There are thousands of top uni grads doing nothing at all. You'll be one of them if you don't understand this
Thats called soft skills my friend. But it’s the ability that gets you the interview and the soft skills that get you the job.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Princepieman
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
- niche/technical subjects have a very different "top tier" than academic subjects; many of which fall out of the top academic usual suspects list
- lack of grades; potentially using the uni as a stop gap on the way back up to a top one (e.g. transferring, postgrad)
- significant care responsibilities that limit choice of university
- the career path they want to go down is agnostic to university reputation so other factors take precedence
- big fish, small pond. easier to get better grades and stand out at a not-so-top university
- maybe locked-in to some kind of degree apprenticeship scheme

probably more but i cba to think of them. i do generally agree that for someone doing an academic degree there's little value in going out of the top ~40-50 universities unless a university has specific strengths (e.g. Bournemouth's relationship with JPMorgan, etc) or you're going to upgrade institutions at some point. if it's niche, whatever list of good unis in that niche.
Princepieman
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Because it’s prestigious, it’s respected world wide, can land the top front office jobs - there’s a reason why they are all taken by top universities. There’s a reason why there’s a massive gap in salaries from top unis compared to bottom. So it all depends on what kind of life style you want really. Put in the hard work, get a top uni, get an excellent well paid job. Or don’t put in any work, get a bottom uni, get the top mark at the bottom uni and get an average to no job at the end.
you know that front office finance has tiny, tiny headcount right? most people outside of the folks that deal with them through their jobs have no idea it exists.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was doing research into a top university, the workload is a lot harder, they do more modules and are marked more harshly. While a bottom tier university, do half the modules, easier content and can pretty much party all year and attain a first. Which why a university like oxford attains the same number of firsts from a University like London Southbank or London Met for the same degree!

In other words a university outside the top tier, are pretty much worthless.
No one mentioned Medicine / Dentistry etc. yet. I am just going to copy myself and paste what I wrote yesterday for a similar question. Note some UK medical schools are officially ranked lower than top 30.

No one (not patients, not other doctors, not nurses) cares about which UK medical school you graduated from. As far as UK specialty training / selection is concerned, where you graduated from plays no part in the scoring system. Your degree certificate is merely asked to prove that you have graduated and are eligible to work in the UK as a doctor.

There are differences in post-grad exam pass rates, but that probably result from the sort of people who applied to Oxbridge / UCL in the first place rather than the med school.

The Cambridge competition ratio was 4.9 to 1; while some of the highest were Brighton Sussex - either Uni of Brighton or Uni of Sussex are ranked lower or around 50! (18.2 to 1), Keele (15.6 to 1), Aberdeen (14.5 to 1) and Dundee (12.5 to 1). For comparison Oxford's competition ratio was 9.5 to 1, and Leicester (ranked outside 30!) was 9.7 to 1.

There are only 30 odd medical schools in the UK, and all are GMC regulated. Post-graduation all UK medical graduates are treated the same with no discrimination in specialty training - hence the competition is even overall.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
King Arthur 284
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Assuming that people don't end up at the top universities because they don't put in enough hard work is a very simplistic and naive view. Also some of us would rather study a subject we actually enjoy at a lower-ranked uni than go to a more ~prestigious~ one in the hope that it'll impress people. Going to a good uni is not a substitute for a personality.
You can still study a subject you actually enjoy at a top uni. If anything it will be more enjoyable because it has more research and content knowledge. Nothing to do with personality.
King Arthur 284
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
No one mentioned Medicine / Dentistry etc. yet. I am just going to copy myself and paste what I wrote yesterday for a similar question. Note some UK medical schools are officially ranked lower than top 30.

No one (not patients, not other doctors, not nurses) cares about which UK medical school you graduated from. As far as UK specialty training / selection is concerned, where you graduated from plays no part in the scoring system. Your degree certificate is merely asked to prove that you have graduated and are eligible to work in the UK as a doctor.

There are differences in post-grad exam pass rates, but that probably result from the sort of people who applied to Oxbridge / UCL in the first place rather than the med school.

While we are on RG vs non RG med schools, read [/i][/color][/u]

The Cambridge competition ratio was 4.9 to 1; while some of the highest were Brighton Sussex (18.2 to 1), Keele (15.6 to 1), Aberdeen (14.5 to 1) and Dundee (12.5 to 1) -- all non-Russell Group. For comparison Oxford's competition ratio was 9.5 to 1, and Leicester (another non RG) was 9.7 to 1.

There are only 30 odd medical schools in the UK, and all are GMC regulated. Post-graduation all UK medical graduates are treated the same with no discrimination in specialty training - hence the competition is even overall.
I agree with you there in medicine and dentistry only. I was talking about subjects as a whole.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can still study a subject you actually enjoy at a top uni. If anything it will be more enjoyable because it has more research and content knowledge. Nothing to do with personality.
I'm not talking about that, no uni offers every single degree. Some people may have no choice to go to a lower-ranking uni in order to study what they want, yet you're saying they shouldn't bother.

It becomes a substitute for a personality when people think they're better than others because they go to Oxbridge or wherever. If you're basing your self-worth off what uni you go to then that's a problem. There's been numerous instances on here when members base their whole identity on going to Oxford. Sad.

And in the real world no one cares about research when picking a uni. It's just another stat they churn out in order to impress applicants.
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The real question here is why go to university at all. Why would you go get a 50k 3/4 year degree when you can go do an apprenticeship and become an engineer, accountant, coder, or in a trade. All with a salary and maybe with sponsorship. Even if you go get a STEM degree sure you have a 1st class degree in maths from a RG and thats awesome. But you could have alternatively become a fully qualifed accoutant now you could be on 30k a year with no debt. And whats more you'll probably never use your degree and go into a totally diffrent field. Go into a school leavers job desguised as a grad job. Perhaps finance and go do an accounting contract you could have done 4 years ago straight out of school. Go to uni go to uni go to uni they all say. But none of them have ever been a unemployed grad or talk from a general view and don't appreciate everyone is diffrent. Look at the GYG section full of ppl working hard to go study a micky mouse degree from a third rate uni. All backed up by big boy mods who think they know but have no qualifications or experience to provide any advice
Last edited by SJW-; 3 weeks ago
King Arthur 284
Rep:
?
I'm not talking about that, no uni offers every single degree. Some people may have no choice to go to a lower-ranking uni in order to study what they want, yet you're saying they shouldn't bother.

It becomes a substitute for a personality when people think they're better than others because they go to Oxbridge or wherever. If you're basing your self-worth off what uni you go to then that's a problem. There's been numerous instances on here when members base their whole identity on going to Oxford. Sad.

And in the real world no one cares about research when picking a uni. It's just another stat they churn out in order to impress applicants.
Those people that base their whole life and personality about going to oxford as you say are elitist pricks, I understand your point though. But if they want to do a subject that a top university doesn’t offer that a bottom university does like ‘animal care’ or ‘Harry Potter lessons’, they are worthless subjects anyway....

What would you class a top university? Which unis?
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Those people that base their whole life and personality about going to oxford as you say are elitist pricks
They’re the pricks??

And animal care is a problem?

By your logic we could save a fortune overall on this. Let’s get all pre fives to do an iq test. If they’re clearly not going to make top 30, let’s not send them to school at all.
We could have them put out to work. Let them earn their keep
Last edited by Sammylou40; 3 weeks ago
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Those people that base their whole life and personality about going to oxford as you say are elitist pricks, I understand your point though. But if they want to do a subject that a top university doesn’t offer that a bottom university does like ‘animal care’ or ‘Harry Potter lessons’, they are worthless subjects anyway....

What would you class a top university? Which unis?
I did Forensic Chemistry. An incredibly worthwhile (and difficult) subject yet not offered at any of the Russell Group unis as far as I'm aware.

I would class a uni based on its rankings for a particular subject and student satisfaction, not it's reputation.
King Arthur 284
Rep:
?
I did Forensic Chemistry. An incredibly worthwhile (and difficult) subject yet not offered at any of the Russell Group unis as far as I'm aware.

I would class a uni based on its rankings for a particular subject and student satisfaction, not it's reputation.
And what did you do with that degree once you graduated? Become a teacher?
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You really are an offensive little troll
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nope. I'm continuing my study to either become a forensic psychologist or probation officer.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sounds very interesting. Best of luck.

Don’t rise to it
Nope. I'm continuing my study to either become a forensic psychologist or probation officer.
username4212316
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For law, London south bank ranks 13th and asks for ABB so it’s hardly a bottom tier uni is it? It’s certainly not comparable to London met
Last edited by username4212316; 3 weeks ago
Themysticalegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
May I ask what is wrong with being a teacher?
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Sounds very interesting. Best of luck.

Don’t rise to it
Thanks I know, I can't help but bite!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?