The Student Room Group

Spanish verbs - hacer?

When using hacer in a question is it for example
‘Te gusta hacer la gimnasia’
Or
‘Te gusta hacer gimnasia’
Please help!!
Reply 1
Hi, I don't think 'hacer' actually has anything to do with whether you need to use la/el, because 'la' is 'the' in English right? So it depends on the noun you're using, because you're either saying "Do you like to do the gymnastics?" (top option) or "Do you like to do gymastics?". To me, the second one sounds better. So in my opinion, you don't need to use 'la' for that sentence. If you would use 'the' in English, it's likely you'll use it in Spanish too. Although, Spanish does use it more than English. I've been learning Spanish for just over 8 years now, but a lot of things, I just know what is right, but struggle to explain why. I have a good friend from Colombia though, who has been helping me for 2 years to learn Spanish and I help them learn English. It's an interesting question and I want to make sure I'm right. So I'm going to ask your question to my Colombian friend and then get back to you with the answer if you want. Providing no one else has the answer on here first :smile:

If you want any other help with Spanish, feel free to PM me. Learning Spanish is one of my favourite hobbies, so I'll be happy to help!
Original post by Beth5510
Or
Please help!!

I’m a native Spanish speaker so... Yo hago gimnasia. Yo practico gimnasia. Te gusta hacer gimnasia. Those 3 are correct. However “Te gusta hacer la gimnasia” sounds weird. Maybe it can fit on the following conversation:
-¿Te gusta hacer gimnasia?
-Si. Me gusta
-¿Qué clase de gimnasia?
-La gimnasia rítmica.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Beth5510
Or
Please help!!

Both are correct, but the second option sounds more natural and is what most native speakers would choose, in Spain at least.

Quick Reply