University of South Wales mature students

Watch
aircraftcharls
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello all,

I am starting university next year, September 2019 as a mature student, will be 24 when starting.

I thought I would create a thread for mature students like myself to connect with each other before to going to university.

Would love to hear your stories!!
Ryannn92
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im starting uni next year as well, ill be 27 when i start which im a bit worried about, thinking i might be too old to fit in.

what uni are you attending exactly? and what will you be studying?
aircraftcharls
Rep:
?
Hiya mate, I’m will be attending the university of South Wales, what about yourself?
Your not the only one, I’m a tad worried if I will fit in or not.
I’m studying aircraft engineering what about yourself??
Ryannn92
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ill be on the treforest side of uni of south wales (same as you), and ill be studying electrical and electronic engineering

when it comes to accomodation im thinking of staying at mountain halls premium, i know there is a mature student option for acomodation but i may just wing it for the 1st year and see what its like with anybody

you been to an open day yet? its quite good and i would definately recomend one
aircraftcharls
Rep:
?
Good stuff good choice of course! Why are thinking of going to uni as a mature student if you don’t mind me asking??

Was looking a mountain premium halls too, it has its own kitchen in with the room, ideal! Plus’s when the missis comes to visit can cook in peace!
I didn’t know there was an option for mature student accommodation??

Yes went to the open day in October thought it looked good and applied for it.

I’ve got an offer which I have accepted so will be starting in September 2019.
kateclark1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aircraftcharls)
Hello all,

I am starting university next year, September 2019 as a mature student, will be 24 when starting.

I thought I would create a thread for mature students like myself to connect with each other before to going to university.

Would love to hear your stories!!
Hi, I'm starting September 2019 as a mature student too, I'm 22, will be nearly 23 when starting. I'll be studying forensic accounting. I'm so nervous about making friends, would be great to get to know some people with similar interests! I have a 1 year old daughter too called Ivy-Rose x
Ryannn92
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
as stated above ill be 27 when i start, i also have a little one, little boy who is 5

Im sure we are all over thinking and will fit in perfectly at uni, from what i heard its a very friendly atmosphere there
aircraftcharls
Rep:
?
(Original post by kateclark1996)
Hi, I'm starting September 2019 as a mature student too, I'm 22, will be nearly 23 when starting. I'll be studying forensic accounting. I'm so nervous about making friends, would be great to get to know some people with similar interests! I have a 1 year old daughter too called Ivy-Rose x
Hiya! Good stuff!! I’m am too a bit nervous about making friends etc. There is a Facebook group which has loads other students you can chat too. Worth giving that a look . My biggest thing will be having worked full time for 7 years on a good wage then going to earning nothing!! Gotta save like mad!
Look forward to meeting you!
Ryannn92
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
do you have a link/name of the facebook group so i can join please
aircraftcharls
Rep:
?
If you type in University of South Wales freshers 2019
(Original post by Ryannn92)
do you have a link/name of the facebook group so i can join please
Quadraticfunctn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey guys I will be hopefully studying Aircarft Maintenance Engineering at treforest campus, I'm a mature sudent as well, just turned 31.The course website says that you would need to pay extra for 2 years of practical training after 3 years of this course and there's a figure of upto £3000 cost for this training which kinda worries me.
Quadraticfunctn
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Does anyone know how difficult it is to get the two years training experience after aircraft maintenance degree at the south wales university as I'm looking to start this degree in September this year. thanks
aircraftcharls
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hiya mate,

Good to hear your also studying aircraft maintenance engineering. There is a Facebook group which I can add you onto if you want so we can chat? Post something on the USW page and I will add you. In regards to you question, I believe these are estimations. The CAA like to make things very very expensive as I’ve found out through my flight training! On the website it doesn’t really explain what these cost are. Probably a question that needs to be asked. Thanks for the reply!!
(Original post by Quadraticfunctn)
Hey guys I will be hopefully studying Aircarft Maintenance Engineering at treforest campus, I'm a mature sudent as well, just turned 31.The course website says that you would need to pay extra for 2 years of practical training after 3 years of this course and there's a figure of upto £3000 cost for this training which kinda worries me.
BeardedDave
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey everyone,

I'm also starting University this September, at the University of South Wales, at the age of 23. University never appealed to me when I was at school as it was intimidating and I didn't know what I wanted to study but now is the right time . I'll be studying Professional Policing, including foundation year.

Can't wait to meet you all and it's great knowing I'm not the only non 18 year old starting Uni haha.
NikkinikkiJ2019
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by kateclark1996)
Hi, I'm also starting in September been offered a place for forensic accounting and business management haven't yet decided, love your daughters name im a mum of 3 and im 28 so defiantly feeling nervous but better late than never haha
leannemellisa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi I'm starting in september! I'm 25 and I'm gonna be studying BSc (Hons) Childhood Development at Treforrest campus! Cannot wait but very nervous about meeting people and feeling like an OAP haha!
Pipskweak
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
31 and just started at USW Treforrest. Not overly worried about age, as I know I wouldn't have stuck it out (and nor did I know what I wanted to do) at 18. Feel like it's a good place to be with a little bit of life experience, and having worked in a couple of different industries. Studying Automotive Engineering, and so far really enjoying it. Have a 9 year old boy too, single parent, but things seem to be clicking into place
Quadraticfunctn
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by aircraftcharls)
Hiya mate,

Good to hear your also studying aircraft maintenance engineering. There is a Facebook group which I can add you onto if you want so we can chat? Post something on the USW page and I will add you. In regards to you question, I believe these are estimations. The CAA like to make things very very expensive as I’ve found out through my flight training! On the website it doesn’t really explain what these cost are. Probably a question that needs to be asked. Thanks for the reply!!
How's your Aircraft Engineering course going? I decided not to pursue the course and instead continued cyber security course, which in terms of quality is kinda disappointing.
aircraftcharls
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quadraticfunctn)
How's your Aircraft Engineering course going? I decided not to pursue the course and instead continued cyber security course, which in terms of quality is kinda disappointing.
Heya, the course is very intense, and i mean very!! it is very interesting. How is your course??

Its a shame about whats going on at the moment, tbh I really not sure if we will come back after easter. I have so many exams to do.
KGB2020
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hiya! I am also a mature student (38), does anyone have offers already? some universities are changing offers from conditional to unconditional. I just applied last week and still waiting. How long do they reply to you once you send your application? Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (250)
34.06%
No (484)
65.94%

Watched Threads