The Student Room Group

Why are men an controlling in relationships?

I’m bi so I’ve had experiences with men and women. Women are softer, gentler and more caring, they take they time to please you.

But men like to be domineering and controlling. This is true for all types of men- it doesn’t matter if they westernised and very liberal educated men, they still like to be controlling!!
Reply 1
Because men tend to be more dominant and women tend to be more submissive (in general). Call it culture or differences between the genders but that would be why you are likely to notice the difference. It is a dominant thing to do, to take control of a situation and to choose options.

That's not to say all men won't take the time to please you or be caring, but they are usually not brought up with much focus on these qualities whereas women are. It can be harder for men to act this way, especially if they grew up in a tough environment to begin with.
Reply 2
Personally it's fairly simple for me. I enjoy being in control and making decisions, unless my girlfriend objects then i take the lead.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m bi so I’ve had experiences with men and women. Women are softer, gentler and more caring, they take they time to please you.

But men like to be domineering and controlling. This is true for all types of men- it doesn’t matter if they westernised and very liberal educated men, they still like to be controlling!!

Except it’s not true for all kinds of men so shut up with your generalisations
Original post by Anonymous

I am very soft with my hubby
OP when you find a man that is not controlling and is soft, gentle, caring, when appropriate, do you think he will be a keeper - assuming a reasonable level of compatibilty?

For all the men reading this, please take a note of what the OP is saying in this thread. Dial down the control and dial up the "fluffiness" when you are with your loved one.

My theory is that on top of the social conditining and role models, there's a lot of insecurity going about. When men lack a true sense of inner security and self worth and internal balance or when they are too focused on themselves and not enough on other people, they tend to be domineering and controlling in relationships. The controlling behaviour indicates a lack of inner beauty.

For sure, these issues aren't confined to men alone. But as a sweeping generalisation, there is something in what the OP said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending