Which 2 of Leeds/Exeter/Lancaster PPE?

Watch this thread
RyanMarney
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I'm looking to apply to 2 of Leeds/Exeter/Lancaster PPE as safety options, and I'm not sure which to pick (I have done my due research but I'm still stuck).

For reference, my main choices are St Andrews (Econ/IR) and Warwick PPE, and I've already been rejected from a choice. While I initially wanted a city uni, I opted for the community feel of a smaller area. While Exeter/Lancaster are more campus-based, I've read that Leeds is a great student city.

The requirements are pretty similar across the 3, and while I don't rely on rankings, they seem pretty hard to separate academically. Course-wise, you do a dissertation in all three. Exeter and Lancaster seem to have interlinked modules (The economics of politics at Exeter), while Leeds doesn't.

Can anyone give me some insight? I keep reading contradictory things from different people from school and on the TSR forums. I only need to eliminate one for now, I can decide which one I'll choose after I hopefully get some offers.

Thanks
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RyanMarney)
So I'm looking to apply to 2 of Leeds/Exeter/Lancaster PPE as safety options, and I'm not sure which to pick (I have done my due research but I'm still stuck).

For reference, my main choices are St Andrews (Econ/IR) and Warwick PPE, and I've already been rejected from a choice. While I initially wanted a city uni, I opted for the community feel of a smaller area. While Exeter/Lancaster are more campus-based, I've read that Leeds is a great student city.

The requirements are pretty similar across the 3, and while I don't rely on rankings, they seem pretty hard to separate academically. Course-wise, you do a dissertation in all three. Exeter and Lancaster seem to have interlinked modules (The economics of politics at Exeter), while Leeds doesn't.

Can anyone give me some insight? I keep reading contradictory things from different people from school and on the TSR forums. I only need to eliminate one for now, I can decide which one I'll choose after I hopefully get some offers.

Thanks
You state you intitially wanted a city university you now opted for a smaller area. Exeter and Lancaster will give you whereas Leeds will give you the city feel. Most of your university choices are northern while Exeter is very far south western and is a 5/6 hour train journey from Leeds/ Lancaster and further from St Andrews. That might also be a consideration.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I would think that Exeter and Leeds would have better connections with employers, being bigger Universities, and Russell Group. But that is an assumption, which you could ask about at the Applicant Days you will get invited to if they make you an offer. All 3 are likely to be "safe" options for applicants with excellent A level predictions.

The quality of the course would probably be equally good at all 3, however, and Swanseajack makes a good point about location.
PQ
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It sounds like you want to drop Leeds but you’re feeling pressured into including it by peers.

Go with your gut. Leeds is a great city but that doesn’t mean it suits you.
RyanMarney
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
It sounds like you want to drop Leeds but you’re feeling pressured into including it by peers.

Go with your gut. Leeds is a great city but that doesn’t mean it suits you.
I was considering Leeds because it seems like it retains the student community feeling within a city environment, and is a good contrast to the other campus uni I'm applying to as my safety. In that case I would have to drop one of Lancaster/Exeter, but I don't know enough about the two to decide on one.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I was considering Leeds because it seems like it retains the student community feeling within a city environment, and is a good contrast to the other campus uni I'm applying to as my safety. In that case I would have to drop one of Lancaster/Exeter, but I don't know enough about the two to decide on one.
Given all your choices are up North I would drop Exeter and go for Lancaster. However I am very doubtful that Leeds is going to give you what you want.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Exeter in my view is ahead of Lancaster and, although it s a campus it's a short walk into town. I find Leeds a bit big and impersonal myself ..
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I agree that Exeter is ahead of Lancaster in terms of prestige, if that is important to you, and as already stated, probably has a bigger careers department. Actually, my daughter went to Lancaster and my son goes to Exeter, and it does seem as though the careers department are more proactive at Exeter. However, you shouldn't take my word for it as that is just my impression, you should visit both and ask questions about student destinations and support. Also, the two cities have a very different feel - I personally liked Lancaster but it is very small and not that good for shopping compared to Exeter. On the other hand, Exeter University attracts many more people from private schools and has a more middle class feel to it, (some would even say snobbish) whereas Lancaster attracts more state educated pupils and is more down to earth. Exeter is more southern wheresas Lancaster is very northern (my daughter got teased for her Southern accent, but only in a friendly way). Accomodation is relatively cheap in Lancaster and of a good standard, whereas Exeter student accomodation is more expensive.
Last edited by harrysbar; 3 years ago
Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Thanks
Hi RyanMarney,

It is great you are interested in studying at Lancaster University. I am current Marketing Management student and whilst I may not be on your course I do know of others studying PPE and I can hopefully provide an insight into life at Lancaster.

I am really enjoying my time at Lancaster, from the college community, to the fantastic teaching and course. One thing I am really impressed with is the careers service and as you are studying in the Management School you get the best of both worlds as you can use the wider University careers team but also the LUMS Careers team. There are fantastic career prospects at Lancaster with the Times and Sunday Times ranking Lancaster in the UK top three for graduate employment.

It really does depend what you are after and whether you want a city/campus environment. Living on campus in my first year and then in the city in the second year as I have done gives you both! We are also situated perfectly with fantastic links to Edinburgh, Manchester and London to name a few.

Although a campus environment, it certainly is not quiet - there is always something happening with our hundreds of societies, markets or events in the city center too. We also have our own nightclub in the city center too if this is something of interest to you.

If you have any specific questions about Lancaster University then please get in touch and if it is course related then complete this online form and someone will get back to you https://asklums.typeform.com/to/RcoaiW.

I wish you the best of luck wherever you decide to go!

Rebecca
LUMS Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (138)
29.3%
It went fairly well (226)
47.98%
It didn't go too well (68)
14.44%
TERRIBLE! (39)
8.28%

Watched Threads