The Student Room Group

First Placement

I'm due to go on my first nursing placement in January, I'm quite excited but nervous at the same time. I'm mostly nervous about what to do when I get there like getting changed into my uniform. Do I report to the ward I'm on first?
Original post by Crazymofoemmax
I'm due to go on my first nursing placement in January, I'm quite excited but nervous at the same time. I'm mostly nervous about what to do when I get there like getting changed into my uniform. Do I report to the ward I'm on first?

Try not to worry too much - everyone will be in the same situation, but I understand it can be scary when you aren't sure how things work. Once you get your head around that particular hospital and how they like things done you'll be fine.

The best thing to do is to arrive a little early (bear in mind you need time to find the ward, and that you may need to go to security to get a badge/card/locker assigned and also get changed). The best thing to do is to go straight to the ward so they know you're there and can let you know where to go to get changed. The last thing you want to be doing is rushing around and getting stressed before you've even started.

As soon as you get there (early so you have time to change and ask questions) find a nurse or HCA and introduce yourself, they will tell you where to get changed and where handover will happen, after your changed and waiting for handover. It may be a good time to check your off duty to see if any more of your shifts have been released. Also, the ward (if you will be ward based) will usually have a student folder/student pack that will tell you all about the ward so ask a member of staff if you can have a look/have a copy. Lastly it's normal to be nervous especially on the first day, it's still the unkown. I still get nervous on my first day in each placement and i'm in my final year (midwifery). Good luck and have fun.
thank you! This has helped to know what I should do first. its good to know that you still get nervous on placements too. Good Luck in your final year! :smile:

Original post by lavender_rose
As soon as you get there (early so you have time to change and ask questions) find a nurse or HCA and introduce yourself, they will tell you where to get changed and where handover will happen, after your changed and waiting for handover. It may be a good time to check your off duty to see if any more of your shifts have been released. Also, the ward (if you will be ward based) will usually have a student folder/student pack that will tell you all about the ward so ask a member of staff if you can have a look/have a copy. Lastly it's normal to be nervous especially on the first day, it's still the unkown. I still get nervous on my first day in each placement and i'm in my final year (midwifery). Good luck and have fun.
thanks, I'm supposed to start at 7:30 like the other nurses would, my worry is if I went to the ward first there wouldn't be a day shift nurse/ my mentor there yet, would a night shift nurse be able to hep me too?

Original post by Charlotte's Web
Try not to worry too much - everyone will be in the same situation, but I understand it can be scary when you aren't sure how things work. Once you get your head around that particular hospital and how they like things done you'll be fine.

The best thing to do is to arrive a little early (bear in mind you need time to find the ward, and that you may need to go to security to get a badge/card/locker assigned and also get changed). The best thing to do is to go straight to the ward so they know you're there and can let you know where to go to get changed. The last thing you want to be doing is rushing around and getting stressed before you've even started.
thanks, I'm supposed to start at 7:30 like the other nurses would, my worry is if I went to the ward first there wouldn't be a day shift nurse/ my mentor there yet, would a night shift nurse be able to hep me too?

That's quite normal, they will also be able to help you so don't worry about that. You'll meet them in due course too so it's nice to get to know them. Some nurses will get onto the ward early so there may also be day shift there.
Thank you for reassuring me, I'm trying not to let my nerves get the best of me.

Original post by Charlotte's Web
That's quite normal, they will also be able to help you so don't worry about that. You'll meet them in due course too so it's nice to get to know them. Some nurses will get onto the ward early so there may also be day shift there.

Definitely, the beauty of the hospital is that the wards will be staffed with nurses 24/7 that will be happy to help. It's not only your mentor that will look out for you, feel free to ask any of the staff where to put your belongings etc. You may even have shifts where you work with another mentor because yours may be off sick etc, so it makes sense to mingle with the whole ward staff. Another tip I would suggest is to try and befriend the HCA because they usually know the inner workings of the ward and how to do the things your not taught in Uni (things like making the beds, and where the important phone numbers are kept). And also I would definitely not want to turn up late for my first shift (is this an assessed placement?) I would turn up 10 mins early so you have time to orientate yourself and there's often somewhere to make yourself a cup of tea to calm your nerves (at least there is in my trust).
I was wondering about placements, do we get to go with a friend from class or everyone go to different places? thanks
Original post by Andremasil
I was wondering about placements, do we get to go with a friend from class or everyone go to different places? thanks

I can't speak for every uni of course but at mine everybody goes on placements selected at random, there is no option to go with friends from class. It is likely you will see other students in the placement area, but they may not necessarily be the ones from your year and you may not see them everyday.
I can't speak for every uni of course but at mine everybody goes on placements selected at random, there is no option to go with friends from class. It is likely you will see other students in the placement area, but they may not necessarily be the ones from your year and you may not see them everyday.

I see, good to know. thanks
(Original post by Andremasil)I see, good to know. thanks

Are you a nursing student?
yeah, I didn't think of asking the other staff who are on. being friends with HCA good idea to help with things we don't get taught in uni. I don't want to be late either, so I was thinking of getting there 15 - 20 mins earlier so I'm not late and I can get the bearings of the hospital and know how to find the ward. Since this is my first placaement it isn't assessed.

Definitely, the beauty of the hospital is that the wards will be staffed with nurses 24/7 that will be happy to help. It's not only your mentor that will look out for you, feel free to ask any of the staff where to put your belongings etc. You may even have shifts where you work with another mentor because yours may be off sick etc, so it makes sense to mingle with the whole ward staff. Another tip I would suggest is to try and befriend the HCA because they usually know the inner workings of the ward and how to do the things your not taught in Uni (things like making the beds, and where the important phone numbers are kept). And also I would definitely not want to turn up late for my first shift (is this an assessed placement?) I would turn up 10 mins early so you have time to orientate yourself and there's often somewhere to make yourself a cup of tea to calm your nerves (at least there is in my trust).
(Original post by Andremasil)I see, good to know. thanks

Are you a nursing student?

Hi, lavender rose

I'm not a student, I did apply though, waiting to hear back. They only start calling for an interview after the 15th of January.
Original post by Andremasil
Hi, lavender rose

I'm not a student, I did apply though, waiting to hear back. They only start calling for an interview after the 15th of January.

Oh that great, good luck hope you get called for interview :smile:
Oh that great, good luck hope you get called for interview :smile:

yeah, I didn't think of asking the other staff who are on. being friends with HCA good idea to help with things we don't get taught in uni. I don't want to be late either, so I was thinking of getting there 15 - 20 mins earlier so I'm not late and I can get the bearings of the hospital and know how to find the ward. Since this is my first placaement it isn't assessed.

If you’re that anxious about getting there and finding the ward, why don’t you do a practice run and visit the hospital and find the ward?
Original post by moonkatt
If you’re that anxious about getting there and finding the ward, why don’t you do a practice run and visit the hospital and find the ward?

I can't do a practice run becasue I don't return back to the city my uni and placement are in with enough time to do a practice run or I would have. I think I'm just so nervous because I'm over thinking it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending