The Student Room Group

Do these two sentences make sense?

'Light poured through the other side eroding the boundaries of darkness.'

'The life-threatening trial billowing with hope and despair has begun.'

Just wondering as I found it on a translated video game and would like to include them in my descriptive writing.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kurapikachu

Just wondering as I found it on a translated video game and would like to include them in my descriptive writing.

The first one makes total sense. The second one has a juxtaposition (hope and despair) but it still makes sense (i think). I have English as my other tongue but I’m not a linguist though 😜
Yes, they both make sense. They should have commas though - "Light poured through the other side, eroding the boundaries of darkness.", and "The life-threatening trial, billowing with hope and despair, has begun.".

You're also using apostrophes (') instead of quotation marks ("), which is silly. This may be stylistic, in which case STOP IT.

Also I don't like the second sentence. The second sentence is stupid. May I proffer Lovecraft's: "It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of Earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be let alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.", instead of that sh!t?
"billowing with hope and despair" is a bit jarring for me as they mean opposite things. Be better if it was "billowing with hope then deflating with despair."
Original post by snugglebear
"billowing with hope and despair" is a bit jarring for me as they mean opposite things. Be better if it was "billowing with hope then deflating with despair."

I like how you've preserved the motion there. V cool.
Reply 5
Original post by Trust Orang
You're also using apostrophes (':wink: instead of quotation marks (":wink:, which is silly. This may be stylistic, in which case STOP IT!

In British English, inverted commas sometimes look like apostrophes. This style choice isn't incorrect (haven't really read a source that says it is either).
Original post by Tolgarda
In British English, inverted commas sometimes look like apostrophes. This style choice isn't incorrect (haven't really read a source that says it is either).

Sure, use apostrophes for quotes. It's not like we have designated "quotation marks", or something.
Reply 7
Sure, use apostrophes for quotes. It's not like we have designated "quotation marks", or something.

We have two different types of quotation mark: single and double. They are both correct (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/punctuation/inverted-commas-quotation-marks). They are a style choice.
Are you going to reference them properly as quotations, or plagiarise and use them as your own work?
We have two different types of quotation mark: single and double. They are both correct (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/punctuation/inverted-commas-quotation-marks). They are a style choice.

Correct! The styles are: 'complete garbage', and, "sensible".

Sure though, you do you...
Correct! The styles are: 'complete garbage', and, "sensible".

Sure though, you do you...

Well, is there any source that you can find which doesn't allow the single inverted commas? Your preference is not fact. This is a matter of style.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well, is there any source that you can find which doesn't allow the single inverted commas? Your preference is not fact. This is a matter of style.

IDK man it's kinda in the name "quotation marks".
IDK man it's kinda in the name "quotation marks".

They are also called 'inverted commas'. You probably can't find a source which disallows the use of single inverted commas. They are both permissible. Once again, if you can find a source to support your point, then I will concede. I would also be interested to know why no examiner in my GCSE history, English language or English literature examinations penalised me for this 'incorrect' use of punctuation.
They are also called 'inverted commas'. You probably can't find a source which disallows the use of single inverted commas. They are both permissible. Once again, if you can find a source to support your point, then I will concede. I would also be interested to know why no examiner in my GCSE history, English language or English literature examinations penalised me for this 'incorrect' use of punctuation.

I never said it was "incorrect", I said it was retard3d.

Which it is.
I never said it was "incorrect", I said it was retard3d.

Which it is.

So, would you care to explain why it is 'retard3d', despite it being perfectly valid? Why should anyone change to your preferred style? Are you the arbiter of style or something?
(edited 5 years ago)
So, would you care to explain why it is 'retard3d', despite it being perfectly valid?

Because you end up sticking apostrophes inside quotes, and often that means you end up with ' ''' ' where " ''' " is far more distinguishable. Not to mention any sentence ending in s'
Because you end up sticking apostrophes inside quotes, and often that means you end up with ' ''' ' where " ''' " is far more distinguishable. Not to mention any sentence ending in s'

Far more distinguishable for which audience? It never hindered or confused me, or anyone else, that read or marked my work. I'm sure that if it was such a nuisance, the style would have died out because of the way in which it mars clarity, yet it persists. This has practically never been an issue, and no one who uses this style should be told to stop using it (unless there is a house style or some other authority there).
(edited 5 years ago)
Far more distinguishable for which audience? It never hindered or confused me, or anyone else, that read or marked my work. I'm sure that if it was such a nuisance, the style would have died out because it would mar clarity, yet it persists. This has practically never been an issue, and no one who uses this style should be told to stop using it (unless there is a house style or some other authority there).

I'm sure you're right, as all the markers dealing with the single apostrophe-around-quotes style are told not to discriminate against the 'developmentally disabled'.
Original post by Kurapikachu

Is this game Danganronpa by any chance?
I'm sure you're right, as all the markers dealing with the single apostrophe-around-quotes style are told not to discriminate against the 'developmentally disabled'.

Oh, so you are the arbiter of style. Amazing! Yes, you are indeed right, and the pesky idiots that produce those stupid style guides are wrong. We should all bow down to you and accept your preference. You are the English master! Only your style should be used!

Anyway, where did you get this information about markers from? I'm pretty curious to know about some other secrets that I have never been told by my teacher!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending