The Student Room Group

Tangents

If I’ve found the equation of the tangent to a curve at a point (2,-10) and got y=8x-26. How would I find the coordinates of another point that is parallel to that tangent?
all you need is the gradient, m=8, and change the y-intercept, c, to anything you want (e.g 4). then try a few x-values or simply put the y intercept as a coordinate (0, c)
(edited 5 years ago)
Any line that has the same gradient to that line (a gradient of 8) is parallel to that line. For example the line 8x-20 is parallel to that line. From the info you’ve given I think you could choose any value for the y-intercept and that would be on a line that is parallel to y=8x-26 as long as the gradient of the line is 8.
Reply 3
So would the coordinate (0,-26) be parallel?
Original post by tracey0
So would the coordinate (0,-26) be parallel?

That coordinate would actually be on the line you mentioned, y=8x-26, because if you substitute x=0 into the equation you get y=-26. To answer your question, it's not exactly on a parallel line because it's on the line itself.
Reply 5
Ohhh okay, I understand now, sorry. So would (4,6) be okay?
(0,26) wouldn’t work (for the reasons stated above) but (0,25) or any other y value would.
With regards to (4,6) it would depend on the equation you have given to the parallel line
Reply 7
So if I sub in x=5 for example
y=8(5)-26
y=14

Would (5,14) be parallel?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tracey0
So if I sub in x=5 for example
y=8(5)-26
y=14

Would (5,14) be parallel?

you're still subbing x=5 into the same line. You have to change the y-intercept of the line you're subbing an x value into, or you'll be finding a point on the line itself and not on a parallel line.
To change the y-intercept, just come up with any random number other than -26.
Example: -24
So then the equation of the line would be: y=8x-24
And a point on this line would be, subbing in x=5 like you did: y=8(5)-24
y=16
So the point (5,16) would be parallel and not on the same line.
Original post by tracey0
If I’ve found the equation of the tangent to a curve at a point (2,-10) and got y=8x-26. How would I find the coordinates of another point that is parallel to that tangent?

It doesn't make sense to ask if a point is parallel to a line (the responses to you have effectively been answering "is your point *on* a line parallel (but not equal to) to a line", and they are all, frankly, missing the point).

The question asks you to find a tangent (line) that is parallel to the line you've found.

Two lines of the form y = mx + c are parallel if they have the same gradient. And the tangent to a curve f(x) has gradient f'(x).

So, to sum it up, you are looking for (the other) point on the curve with the same gradient as the gradient at P.

Quick Reply

Latest