LoukaGreen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've received an offer from a Uni I want to go to. They said if I make the offer my firm choice they'll upgrade it to an unconditional.

I have responded to the offer and made this Uni my first choice but now they are saying that there is a 14 day cooling off period in which my conditional offer can be made unconditional.

What is a 14 day cooling off period?

Thanks
Louka
Isinglass
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...te-application

Changed your mind about your replies?

Here’s what to do if you change your mind:

If you accepted your offers in the last 14 days, contact one of our advisers to make any changes to your replies.If it’s been more than 14 days since you replied to your offers, there is a more detailed process you need to follow. As you’ve agreed to a contract with your chosen unis, it may be possible, but we are unable to guarantee you can change them. You’ll need to speak to them about changing your replies, and then call us, to let us know what you want to do. No reply swaps are possible after 23 July 2019.

Not sure about the cooling off period itself being linked to the change in the status of your offer, but people often report that it tales about as long as that for the status to change on Track.
username4410316
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

I could be completely off of the mark here. So I’m happy to be corrected.

However, in consumer law, if a customer buys a contract over the phone or letter (ie not in person) with a company. Then by law they have a 14 day cooling off period. This is so that they can change their mind if they decide the product isn’t for them.

For example, you call a mobile phone provider and buy a new phone on a 2 year contract over the phone. You then have 14 days to think, actually this isn’t the deal I was getting. So you can call them and cancel it.

Taking that into consideration, I’d imagine that as you are ‘buying a product’ (I.E, a contract with the uni for them to provide you an education) then you fall under the consumer law part of that bill. So if within 14 days you think ‘actually I don’t fancy this course’ you can withdraw.

As I say, might be off of the mark, and if I am, you’ve got some new knowledge on consumer law!

Sam
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes that's right - the cooling off period is in case you change your mind about accepting the Uni (for example, because you get an offer from a Uni you would prefer to attend). Because once you have accepted an unconditional offer, you can't accept any other offers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (798)
42.09%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads