Beginners books for economics and Psychology for fun?

Watch
Vertigo77
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm not planning to study Economics or Psychology at university at all (I want to study Sociology then a 2-year law degree), but I'd like to get a decent understanding of them as I'm just intrigued by Economics and find Psychology interesting. I covered some Psychological research in AS Sociology Unit 2 Sociological Methods and Education, as we used some of the studies in regards to how ethically they were carried out, but nothing in real detail. Does anyone have any suggestions on what books to read gain some basic understanding of these disciplines? I'm also open to watching documentaries on these topics, as I know there is a documentary on the Stanford Prison Experiment.
I'm God
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try edX or Coursera

There's a good microeconomics course on edX and you should be able to find a course that you like
Last edited by I'm God; 1 year ago
Vertigo77
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by I'm God)
Try edX or Coursera

There's a good microeconomics course on there and you should be able to find a course that you like
Thanks will make sure to look at it
Swissbro
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Undercover Economist and Freakonomics are both supposed to be fun, light-hearted introductions to economics and its relevance in everyday life. I haven't read either of them, so I can't tell if that claim is true, but maybe you want to check them out anyway If you are looking for something more academic, any principles textbook would do.
pixiek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Lucifer Effect - Zimbardo (researcher who conducted the stanford prison experiment) is very relevant, also Obedience to Authority - Milgram.

Also Oliver Sacks & Vilayanur Ramachandran are two excellent neuropsych authors, they talk about a huge range of stuff and it's pretty accessible to people without previous knowledge.
MQE99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vertigo77)
I'm not planning to study Economics or Psychology at university at all (I want to study Sociology then a 2-year law degree), but I'd like to get a decent understanding of them as I'm just intrigued by Economics and find Psychology interesting. I covered some Psychological research in AS Sociology Unit 2 Sociological Methods and Education, as we used some of the studies in regards to how ethically they were carried out, but nothing in real detail. Does anyone have any suggestions on what books to read gain some basic understanding of these disciplines? I'm also open to watching documentaries on these topics, as I know there is a documentary on the Stanford Prison Experiment.
The Social Animal - Elliot Aronson

You can't go wrong with this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (107)
61.14%
No (35)
20%
Not sure (33)
18.86%

Watched Threads