The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Do you write a thesis?

Hello, I am interested in applying to St Andrews and have some questions about their system. Can take 2 subjects on Honours level? Do you write a thesis in the end (Bachelor) and if so, in which subject? Is it possible to finish in 3 years if you take more courses? Thank you!
Original post by cora6457
Hello, I am interested in applying to St Andrews and have some questions about their system. Can take 2 subjects on Honours level? Do you write a thesis in the end (Bachelor) and if so, in which subject? Is it possible to finish in 3 years if you take more courses? Thank you!

A lot of this depends on the course. But as far as I understand it, there's no course (except a general degree) where you can finish in 3 years, because they won't allow you to take extra courses. Yes, you are allowed to do joint degrees (2 'majors' at honours level), but there are certain combinations the Uni allows. I won't list them all - this is easy info to find on their website.

In History, you do a dissertation or combined research project. I believe most other subjects are the same (I know medicine, psychology, english, and theology do, I've no personal experience with other subject). Again, you could easily look this up on the website,.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Probably helps to know that in the UK you write a dissertation at Bachelors/Masters level, and a thesis at PhD level - I believe it's the opposite way around in the US?

There are certain subjects where you can do a Bachelor in 3 years, but you need to meet the "direct entry to second year" requirements in order to do that, and it means you skip the entire first year of modules, so it can be hard if your school didn't cover the right material for the course.
Reply 3

Hi Cora,

Yes, you can take two subjects at Honours level. It's called a Joint Degree! However, not all courses are compatible with others in Joints, so check the uni site.

If you are doing Single Honours (no joint), you will be required to write either a final dissertation or final project, depending on the subject you study and whether it is a MA or BSc. If you are doing a Joint, you are not required to write a final dissertation as it is optional (but plenty of people still choose to - do what works for you).

Finishing in 3 years is unlikely unless you do a direct entry or are in Medicine. However I've only seen direct entry in the science degrees, so if you're doing an arts degree you'll probably have to do the full 4.

Hope this helps!

UK universities don't really operate on the same "credits" system as US universities. You take a set number of modules per year and it's not possible to take extra ones, so you can't get through them more quickly and graduate a year early.

If you go to St. Andrews you will be there for four years.
Original post by LeapingLucy
UK universities don't really operate on the same "credits" system as US universities. You take a set number of modules per year and it's not possible to take extra ones, so you can't get through them more quickly and graduate a year early.

If you go to St. Andrews you will be there for four years.

A couple of posters have already pointed this out above, but it is technically possible to do some St Andrews degrees in less than 4 years. There's also one specific programme where you can overload credits and graduate a year early - the MMath programme is technically a 5 year degree here, but they offer a 'fast track' where you overload in 3rd and 4th year in order to do it in 4 years.

So what you say is true for most degrees here, there's definitely exceptions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending