kerrielisabeth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
apparently Hjalmar Schacht used them to finance rearmament secretly from 1933-1938 but i don't get them. can anyone explain them?! i'm having difficulty understanding

thanks.
xxx
g_star_raw_1989
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
Okay, mefo bills are credit notes used to pay the armants factories e.g Krupps to produce arms.

However, as Germnay were unable to openly rearm under the terms of The Treaty of Versailles, they had to do it secretly.

Mefo bills, were payed to the factories through a fictional "MEFO" institute. Hence, being able to discreetly rearm without leaving a paper trail.

What's more, the mefo bills allowed the govt. to run-up a deficit, that they otherwise would not have been able to do.

The mefo bills could be exchanged to Reichsmarks upon demand.

I hope tha helps x
superman19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Also, to keep companies from exchanging the bills back to Reichmarks, there were incentives for keeping the bills for longer periods of time, I think they earned interest of them, rising the longer they wern't claimed.
kerrielisabeth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
thank you so much
xxx
s.nighters
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Also, make sure you understand that this was only a short-term method of rearming Germany, and Schacht realized that it would eventually lead to inflationary pressures. Therefore the four-year plan was introduced in 1936.
jasmine_GCSE
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
Okay, mefo bills are credit notes used to pay the armants factories e.g Krupps to produce arms.

However, as Germnay were unable to openly rearm under the terms of The Treaty of Versailles, they had to do it secretly.

Mefo bills, were payed to the factories through a fictional "MEFO" institute. Hence, being able to discreetly rearm without leaving a paper trail.

What's more, the mefo bills allowed the govt. to run-up a deficit, that they otherwise would not have been able to do.

The mefo bills could be exchanged to Reichsmarks upon demand.

I hope tha helps x
I know you wrote this ages ago, but thanks so much! I was struggling to work these bills out during revision and this explained them perfectly! I would give you rep but I'm not sure how to, but Thank-you!
YUNG JL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dunknow
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?