The Student Room Group

Thinning hairline at 18ys old?

Recently i've noticed the corners of my hair have thinned quite abit to be honest it's never always been full of hair in those two corners. I'm not sure how I feel to be frank I feel like my dating prospects are finished. I have no problem going bald when i'm in my mid 20s it's inevitable but now at 18 that's a problem. In terms of genetics unfortunately my Dad did have a receding hairline like it looked like an Island in his mid 20s it just looks like i'm the unlucky one, my two brothers who are younger have a full head of hair and at 18 I don't understand how hair can start thinning. Let me also say that my diet is pretty good especially when i'm at uni i've come home now so ive eaten quite abit has that maybe had an effect? My stress levels aren't that bad I do have exams in January I do think about them but i'm not stressing out. So i'm not sure what's caused this. What are my options?
get bloodwork tested it could be TE. If it's MPB get on medication. Dont let it damage your confidence in the dating pool, women really only care about money, a decent lookong face would suffice.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
get bloodwork tested it could be TE. If it's MPB get on medication. Dont let it damage your confidence in the dating pool, women really only care about money, a decent lookong face would suffice.

I don't think it's either of those i'm going to be honest I read up on them. The corners of my hair have less hair than everywhere else I have to comb to cover those corners with less hair. Also i'm black carribean.
I don't think it's either of those i'm going to be honest I read up on them. The corners of my hair have less hair than everywhere else I have to comb to cover those corners with less hair. Also i'm black carribean.

Get bloodwork tested just in case. If it's not TE, then it's MPB(male pattern baldness). It likely is MPB as you did say your dad had it tho. Try get on Minoxidil, Finnasteride if you can afford it to try and stop the thinning. It does suck but you got to move on, and focus on bettering your life in other areas.
Recently i've noticed the corners of my hair have thinned quite abit to be honest it's never always been full of hair in those two corners. I'm not sure how I feel to be frank I feel like my dating prospects are finished. I have no problem going bald when i'm in my mid 20s it's inevitable but now at 18 that's a problem. In terms of genetics unfortunately my Dad did have a receding hairline like it looked like an Island in his mid 20s it just looks like i'm the unlucky one, my two brothers who are younger have a full head of hair and at 18 I don't understand how hair can start thinning. Let me also say that my diet is pretty good especially when i'm at uni i've come home now so ive eaten quite abit has that maybe had an effect? My stress levels aren't that bad I do have exams in January I do think about them but i'm not stressing out. So i'm not sure what's caused this. What are my options?

i'm going to be blunt with you. it's downhill all the way. if you have £1500 a year to burn when you're older you can get a modern hair-piece that uses an ultra-thin, transparent 'skin' with hair attached but they require washing & re-bonding every 2 weeks, and changing every 6-8 weeks hence the cost.

if you are tall you can pull off the bald look. if you're short then toupee all the way.

Before that you could try the topical treatment, Regaine (buy the generic minoxidil) as a first step, but i don't recommend the oral medication finasteride to halt the hair loss, due to the poorly understood risks regarding things like erectile dysfunction. not worth it imo.
Reply 5
That’s very bad luck and I really feel for you .
But what you need to do is to use this bad break to be more determined in other endeavours.
Use the pain to work harder at uni ,work harder in the gym ,work harder on your personality.And learn to dance🙂 .
Oh and get used to having your hair very short ASAP.

Good luck.
Original post by moggis
But what you need to do is to use this bad break to be more determined in other endeavours.
Use the pain to work harder at uni ,work harder in the gym ,work harder on your personality.And learn to dance🙂 .

Good luck.

this is genuinely very good advice.
Reply 7
Original post by moggis

Good luck.

Yup I think that's the best thing for right now maybe in the future I can look at the other options like surgery.
Yup I think that's the best thing for right now maybe in the future I can look at the other options like surgery.

no surgery doesn't work as i should have mentioned in my previous post.
Don't let hair loss get you down or make you believe that you'll have problems dating.
Many girls prefer to focus on a guys attitude, personality and hobbies- rather than hairline.
A lot of girls like bald guys, specially those into sports or weight lifting.

If you want to try out artificial hairpieces like wigs or toupee hair, there is plenty of choice.
A hair transplant may be an option for you too.
I wonder if my genetics knowledge is up to scratch, but male pattern baldness is associated with the X chromosome. So you didn't inherit MPB from your dad. Do you know if any of your mother's brothers went bald early? That would be a better indicator for MPB.
Original post by Gabzinc
I wonder if my genetics knowledge is up to scratch, but male pattern baldness is associated with the X chromosome. So you didn't inherit MPB from your dad. Do you know if any of your mother's brothers went bald early? That would be a better indicator for MPB.

My mum's side of the family seem to have good hair genes so my grandad from that side had a full head of hair.
Reply 12
I think the only two things you can do
-Avoid stress at all costs
-Ensure decent blood flow around your head (Can be helped by sport, massage, combing your hair)

Both these can be helped by doing sport - and from what I seem to have noticed sportier / more active guys have kept their hair, guys who aren't it's less common (And what do you know, sport reduces stress and helps blood flow). I mention blood flow because I can't help but notice the majority of hair loss is around the temples - IE where you are heavily affected by stress and get tense, and therefore likely restricting blood flow (ever seen someone rub their temples when they're stressed?). Although it's probably genetics, definitely keep those two in mind for the sake of it.
(edited 5 years ago)
have you seen jake and logan pauls?!?!

besides bald/short hair looks hot. no homo
(edited 5 years ago)
DHT
i'm going to be blunt with you. it's downhill all the way. if you have £1500 a year to burn when you're older you can get a modern hair-piece that uses an ultra-thin, transparent 'skin' with hair attached but they require washing & re-bonding every 2 weeks, and changing every 6-8 weeks hence the cost.

if you are tall you can pull off the bald look. if you're short then toupee all the way.

Before that you could try the topical treatment, Regaine (buy the generic minoxidil) as a first step, but i don't recommend the oral medication finasteride to halt the hair loss, due to the poorly understood risks regarding things like erectile dysfunction. not worth it imo.

Why not just get a hair transplant from Turkey for roughly £2k-£5k?

Quick Reply

Latest