RT98Law
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Firstly - if any of the moderators want to move this to a more relevant section then feel free (new to TSR so unsure of where to put it)

My question is I want to go into law (which sector is still up for debate - although I am inclined to go into commercial). HOWEVER, I am quite open minded and I have not crossed off any other potential career paths such as finance, consultancy etc.

I am on track for a 2:1 but I am really trying to get a first, although, my first year grades were not ideal I got 3 2:2s and 1 2:1 and 1 first - not shambolic but far from ideal for what law firms require.

Secondly year first semester was pretty much a continuity of first year (half arsed effort couldnt be bothered, half wanted to drop out, struggled etc you get the picture). Grades in first semester were 58, 44 and 63. Second semester and from here on out I have sorted my self out. During the first three semesters I really was only doing law because I thought I would like it - but I ended up hating the uni, the city and in all honestly just struggled to make any friends because I was constantly just in uni accommodation waiting for the holidays (I live like 4 hours from home so commuting was not an option.

Regardless, second semester I got 69, 66, 68 and now in my final year I am trying to get a first in every module which should give me a first overall, although a 2:1 is more realistic.

Will getting a 2:1 with bad first year and half of second year grades stop me from getting a TC? I am aiming for the city but I am not one of those its magic circle or nothing - I am open minded and would be more than happy to take a TC at somewhere like Pinsents etc.

I want to know if there is any point in applying or whether I am best advised to look at another career - if so what suggestions do people have?

TL;DR: Got bad marks in first year and half of second year - but have improved since on track for highish 2:1 or a first if every goes to plan - can I get a TC or shall I look at other careers? Ill add that the degree will be from a "top RG university" if that is of any use
Last edited by RT98Law; 2 years ago
Lawstudent3432
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They ask for a 2:1 when you graduate and break down of your grades to show this is an achieveable outcome of your degree so I think you can hit the requirement.

Lots of other factors come into play too though for a TC, the grades are just the way in
RT98Law
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lawstudent3432)
They ask for a 2:1 when you graduate and break down of your grades to show this is an achieveable outcome of your degree so I think you can hit the requirement.

Lots of other factors come into play too though for a TC, the grades are just the way in
I mean I will have my full degree classification by this upcoming cycle - so I am hoping this wont be looking too deeply at the individual grades.

I get the different factors such as interview etc but these are all kind of useless if you get a PFO on application - my biggest issue currently lies in do I self-fund the LPC or is the risk just too big
RT98Law
Rep:
?
I went to the law fair with the sole intention of asking these questions - also had White & Case do a firm presentation with GRT but really could not bring myself to go and ask them this - although they were obviously the best people.

To be honest - I am fairly content with regional firms and firms outside of London. So will those be more realistic?

P.S: GLAD ITS NOT JUST ME SAT INSIDE ON NYE
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You might wanna learn concise writing going ahead.
TrotskyiteRebel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2.1 is good enough. Maybe sometimes not for PG study but mostly good for employment.
I don't think most employers ask for your transcript.
RT98Law
Rep:
?
(Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)
2.1 is good enough. Maybe sometimes not for PG study but mostly good for employment.
I don't think most employers ask for your transcript.
Law firms ask for full breakdowns from birth to graduation Suprised they dont ask for year 6 SATS results - although dont want to speak too soon.
RT98Law
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
You might wanna learn concise writing going ahead.
I realised I went off topic but laziness stopped me from removing the waffle. Probably why I got a 2:2 in my assignment.
username4412650
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Which uni do you go to if you don’t mind me asking? Or could you say if it’s Russel group or none RG? Some of the bigger firms are rather elitist and care about the reputation of the uni you’ve been to. For example I’m not sure you’d get very far in big firms with a 2:1 from Leeds Beckett unless it was a regional firm
RT98Law
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonONE1)
Which uni do you go to if you don’t mind me asking? Or could you say if it’s Russel group or none RG? Some of the bigger firms are rather elitist and care about the reputation of the uni you’ve been to. For example I’m not sure you’d get very far in big firms with a 2:1 from Leeds Beckett unless it was a regional firm
University of Nottingham.
username4412650
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RT98Law)
University of Nottingham.
Oh you’re fine then! Even with a 2:1 you could get into a magic circle firm
RT98Law
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonONE1)
Oh you’re fine then! Even with a 2:1 you could get into a magic circle firm
Thanks for the belief

Its more the bad grades in first year which are putting me off but hopefully they will look beyond them.
Baranak
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username4412650)
I want to do my GDL at Leeds Beckett. I just saw your post. I’m an international student, so don’t know the university much. What’s wrong with it? Is it considered a bad uni?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.1%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.88%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.75%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.72%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.7%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads