The Student Room Group

What do you need (9-1 grades) to get into Henrietta Barnett Sixth form?

So, II am in the process of applying for Henrietta Barnett Sixth form and I was wondering what the minimum requirements would be (realistically) in order to have the possibility of securing a place at the school. How many 9’s, 8’s ,7’s would they be looking for , realistically ??
Original post by Lrl456
So, II am in the process of applying for Henrietta Barnett Sixth form and I was wondering what the minimum requirements would be (realistically) in order to have the possibility of securing a place at the school. How many 9’s, 8’s ,7’s would they be looking for , realistically ??

Admissions criteria are published on their website:

https://www.hbschool.org.uk/375/admissions/policies-and-documents

Six grade 7’s minimum, (there are minimum subject requirements as well).

You would have to contact them to find out if realistically you would have to exceed that to be admitted, or whether they consider everyone with those grades and then interview/consider personal statements. Best of luck with your application.
Reply 2
Thank youu, yes im hoping it goes well! Yeh ive seen their requirements online but I went to their open day and they said that you need at least 6 grade 8/9's, realistically. I was just wondering if you were to be predicted a 7 in 1 or 2 subjects, could they still consider you? Thanks for your help!
Impossible for me to say I’m afraid. Sometimes the staff on the open days aren’t involved in the admissions process so they’re not always correct. Other times they could be the ones reviewing applications so they could be spot on with what they told you. You’ll only find out if you apply :smile:
Keep in mind they’ll also make a decision based on your subject choices eg if it’s oversubscribed, doesn’t fit with the timetable etc
Reply 5
Original post by Purplebottle
Keep in mind they’ll also make a decision based on your subject choices eg if it’s oversubscribed, doesn’t fit with the timetable etc
G

Good point, thanks for your help!
Original post by Lrl456

You need to look at the over-subscription criteria. They will have far more applicants than places so they can take who they want from the rules. No-one can tell you how well other applicants will do this year ,...
hey, i'm currently in the school and most internal students end up getting 8/9s in most of their subjects, and some 7s. you should take a look at past years' gcse results if you want to see specifics. if you're applying for things like sciences or maths those are super popular with current students so those combinations might be a bit more competitive (a LOT of girls want to do medicine lol.) good luck with your application!! if you have any questions about the school let me know x
Reply 8
Original post by fangers
hey, i'm currently in the school and most internal students end up getting 8/9s in most of their subjects, and some 7s. you should take a look at past years' gcse results if you want to see specifics. if you're applying for things like sciences or maths those are super popular with current students so those combinations might be a bit more competitive (a LOT of girls want to do medicine lol.) good luck with your application!! if you have any questions about the school let me know x

Thank you so much! Do you think i would have a chance of getting in possibly? With regards to predicted grades, im predicted:

English language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths -7
Biology -8
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Art - 7
History -9
French - 9
Geography - 8

I’m just really worried about whether i will get in or not!?
your grades look pretty good to me!! we just came out of our mocks and been told our predicted grades and some girls aren't doing as well as you - but then again you aren't competing with us, you're competing with external applicants who might have really good predicted grades (although i can't say to be sure obviously.) your grades look really impressive!! which subjects are you applying for? and when are you hearing back?
Reply 10
Original post by fangers
your grades look pretty good to me!! we just came out of our mocks and been told our predicted grades and some girls aren't doing as well as you - but then again you aren't competing with us, you're competing with external applicants who might have really good predicted grades (although i can't say to be sure obviously.) your grades look really impressive!! which subjects are you applying for? and when are you hearing back?

i applied to do : Biology , Chemistry , French and History . Ahh thanks so much x I think we are going to hear back at the beginning of march? 2 ppl from my school got in last year and one if them ended up going to hbs. She loves it and so like i really wanna go there too! Obviously like its so competitive for the sciences so im happy that im predocted 9’s in all my a level subjects i wanna study. Do you know how they determine their applicants? do they look at predocted grades in the subjects u wanna study first or everything? Xx thank you so muchh!
i've got to be honest and say that i really don't know much about the external admissions process except that more of it is to do with luck than you think because so many capable applicants apply for so few places, so not getting in definitely doesn't equal not being good enough. i'd say logically they probably would immediately rule out anybody without top grades (7-9s across the board, maybe 8-9s if they're going for harder subjects) just to whittle the applicants down. (even though some of us don't get great mock grades we almost all come out with straight 8s and 9s) there might even be more girls with straight 8-9s that apply than we have places (we offer ~50 and places may pop up after the start of term if old hbs girls decide to come back/new girls leave.) to be completely blunt basically i can't be sure at all!! the best you can do is wait and try not to worry seeing as nothing can be done now!

what school are you at currently? also, the french and history departments here are fantastic especially at a level!! probably the best in the school imo. let me know how your application goes!! if you have any more questions about the school itself then feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by fangers
i've got to be honest and say that i really don't know much about the external admissions process except that more of it is to do with luck than you think because so many capable applicants apply for so few places, so not getting in definitely doesn't equal not being good enough. i'd say logically they probably would immediately rule out anybody without top grades (7-9s across the board, maybe 8-9s if they're going for harder subjects) just to whittle the applicants down. (even though some of us don't get great mock grades we almost all come out with straight 8s and 9s) there might even be more girls with straight 8-9s that apply than we have places (we offer ~50 and places may pop up after the start of term if old hbs girls decide to come back/new girls leave.) to be completely blunt basically i can't be sure at all!! the best you can do is wait and try not to worry seeing as nothing can be done now!

what school are you at currently? also, the french and history departments here are fantastic especially at a level!! probably the best in the school imo. let me know how your application goes!! if you have any more questions about the school itself then feel free to message me :smile:

Aww thanks so much ! nah you’ve been so helpful and i totally agree with ehatbyou’ve said. I go to palmers green high school currently and i’ve heard that your school are becoming increasingly interested in girls from our school!! yeh ik what u mean - same with our school. We dont get very good mock grades but at gcse we end up with like 8’s and 9’s across the board. What do u wanna take fot gcse? Obviosuly, im aiming for all 9’s except for art where im hoping to get a 7 or an 8 cus the grade boundaries r soooo high! - ye so hopefully im prayinnngg that they accept but its just a waiting game now! Do u have like snapchat or instagram ?? we could chat on there too and get to know eachother?? Xx
ahh i do hope you get in!! although we won't be in the same year because i'm actually moving for sixth forms :frown: i take french spanish music history and geo for gcse and i want to do french spanish history and geo for a level. if you get in and come to the open day they have for girls with offers let me know and i might see you around!!
Reply 14
Original post by fangers
ahh i do hope you get in!! although we won't be in the same year because i'm actually moving for sixth forms :frown: i take french spanish music history and geo for gcse and i want to do french spanish history and geo for a level. if you get in and come to the open day they have for girls with offers let me know and i might see you around!!

ahh same !! ahh no really? it woulda been so good if u were staying for sixtj form we coulda really got to know eachother?? Xx its fine we can still chat tho! Where are u going for sixth form ?
yeah especially because we take 2 of the same subjects!! i'm moving to westminster, tbh i never expected to because i really do love hbs (it's a wonderful wonderful place) but it'll be really nice to have a fresh start... i pmed you my instagram so we could talk on there instead because it's easier? x
heya! did you end up getting in?
Original post by username3583250

Hey , I am hoping to go to Henrietta Barnet school this year and have received a conditional offer from them , and was wondering whether u would give me an insight on how well you did to get into that school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending