The Student Room Group

Equation of a line

I've been using Mathsbot, and I've seen this question repeatedly come up. I know how to work out perpendicular gradients and how to substitute coordinates in to find c, but I don't understand how to use the ratio of the line segment to work out the coordinates of M.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Here's the question
can you post the question ?

:holmes:
Original post by Anthos
Here's the question

If you know about ratio theorem, you can use it

You can try a vector approach. Find AB vector

Represent A and B on a diagram

Find AM vector then find position vector of M

Find gradient of AB. Find gradient of perpendicular line to AB.

Find equation using the gradient and coordinates of M
Reply 4
The product of the two gradients make -1. Thus you have a point M and a gradient therefore the line.
Reply 5
Original post by golgiapparatus31
If you know about ratio theorem, you can use it

You can try a vector approach. Find AB vector

Represent A and B on a diagram

Find AM vector then find position vector of M

Find gradient of AB. Find gradient of perpendicular line to AB.

Find equation using the gradient and coordinates of M

I haven't learnt about vectors yet in class, so I'm probably going to have to teach myself this.
Original post by Anthos
I haven't learnt about vectors yet in class, so I'm probably going to have to teach myself this.

You can simplify the ratio 2:4 to 1:2.

You can try finding a general point on line AB.

You can try using distance formula and find coordinates of M
Reply 7
Original post by Anthos

You don't need vectors - you have a formula for the distance between two points - so find the point two sixths of the way towards that point.
I think I got the answer
@Anthos Basically I think this is right but not definitely.

1) I found the gradient of AB and using this I found the gradient of the perpendicular line by doing (-1/gradient)

2) I then multiplied the differences in y and x by (2/6) because that's he ratio of the line from A to M.

3) Using the figures from the previous step I added them to the x any coordinates of A, as you do to give the coordinates of point M

4) Then all I did was put the new coordinates and gradient into the equation y=mx+c to find C (y intercept) and there you go!

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by thestudent33
@Anthos Basically I think this is right but not definitely.

1) I found the gradient of AB and using this I found the gradient of the perpendicular line by doing (-1/gradient)

2) I then multiplied the differences in y and x by (2/6) because that's he ratio of the line from A to M.

3) Using the figures from the previous step I added them to the x any coordinates of A, as you do to give the coordinates of point M

4) Then all I did was put the new coordinates and gradient into the equation y=mx+c to find C (y intercept) and there you go!

Spoiler

You got the right answer but I'm still not sure how to do this :frown:
Original post by Anthos

PM me and I can giude you through it if you want
Original post by Anthos

This should help
Reply 13
Original post by thestudent33
This should help

Thank you so much. That screenshot helped me understand. I did another question like this and got it right.
Original post by Anthos
Thank you so much. That screenshot helped me understand. I did another question like this and got it right.

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest