The Student Room Group

What do I do in my gap year?

Hi there. I want to take a gap year and apply to Oxford for a physical science degree (havent decided which one yet).

What do I do in my gap year. I check IET and cant find an internship in London. will Oxford take me if I have a job at sports direct or something?
Reply 1
Original post by dryballzflyer
Hi there. I want to take a gap year and apply to Oxford for a physical science degree (havent decided which one yet).

What do I do in my gap year. I check IET and cant find an internship in London. will Oxford take me if I have a job at sports direct or something?

Oxford wont mind if you work at sports direct. May be worth checking if its helpful to show ongoing academic work (STEP maths for example? depending on course).
Get a job - any job - and then do some independent long-haul travel.

You will start Uni wiser, more mature, more confident and with excellent communication/coping skills.
And you will have had a wonderful, inspiring year-off from studying.

Unis do not expect 'relevant' Gap Years - they know that the above scenario will make you a 'better student', and a more interesting person.
Original post by returnmigrant
Get a job - any job - and then do some independent long-haul travel.

You will start Uni wiser, more mature, more confident and with excellent communication/coping skills.
And you will have had a wonderful, inspiring year-off from studying.

Unis do not expect 'relevant' Gap Years - they know that the above scenario will make you a 'better student', and a more interesting person.

thanks. But what job do I do. And I am not allowed to travel. Nor do I have enough money!
Reply 4
thanks. But what job do I do. And I am not allowed to travel. Nor do I have enough money!

Where do you live? This makes a lot of difference to the availability of work.

I'd suggest somewhere like Sports Direct, Carphone Warehouse, PC world, Pizza Hut, or to look for temporary work in an office environment. The reasons:

- working for a large chain gives an introduction to working within management systems. They tend to have a young workforce which is more fun and gives some opportunity to take on additional responsibilities. Dealing with people all day is a really valuable skill to learn - and hugely underrated.

- office work may give you some skills which you can discuss at future interviews for better paid jobs.

check YINI there engineering jobs but they have a range. Also IBM do a programme in London and so do Deloitte if I remember rightly (and possibly GSK but I can't really remember).
Original post by ajj2000
Where do you live? This makes a lot of difference to the availability of work.

I'd suggest somewhere like Sports Direct, Carphone Warehouse, PC world, Pizza Hut, or to look for temporary work in an office environment. The reasons:

- working for a large chain gives an introduction to working within management systems. They tend to have a young workforce which is more fun and gives some opportunity to take on additional responsibilities. Dealing with people all day is a really valuable skill to learn - and hugely underrated.

- office work may give you some skills which you can discuss at future interviews for better paid jobs.

I live in east London.
Reply 7
I live in east London.

Hey, no worries then. You have loads of opportunities available to you.
Original post by ajj2000
Hey, no worries then. You have loads of opportunities available to you.

OK thanks
"not allowed to travel"

If you earn/save enough money then you can go where you like. If parental pressure is against you, then ask them honestly 'Why dont you trust me' - surely they will have to let you out of their reach at some point. And you could suggest something like Camp America single-sex camp - ie. 'secure', looked after, no temptations etc. Do you really want to be this restricted in what you are 'allowed' to do with your own life?
Original post by returnmigrant
"not allowed to travel"

If you earn/save enough money then you can go where you like. If parental pressure is against you, then ask them honestly 'Why dont you trust me' - surely they will have to let you out of their reach at some point. And you could suggest something like Camp America single-sex camp - ie. 'secure', looked after, no temptations etc. Do you really want to be this restricted in what you are 'allowed' to do with your own life?

They say I can travel alone to other countries after I finish my degree. And I have travlled alone twice. And no camps or courses for me thanks. I would prefer staying in London for a job. and maybe tutor part time
They say I can travel alone to other countries after I finish my degree. And I have travlled alone twice. And no camps or courses for me thanks. I would prefer staying in London for a job. and maybe tutor part time

You don't need to travel - lots take gap years to do so but there is not normally any benefit. I have travelled a lot so am certainly not against it. Working and tutoring however are really valuable things to do. Plus there are loads of things to do in London at low or no cost as a young adult.
Original post by ajj2000
You don't need to travel - lots take gap years to do so but there is not normally any benefit. I have travelled a lot so am certainly not against it. Working and tutoring however are really valuable things to do. Plus there are loads of things to do in London at low or no cost as a young adult.

OK, thanks. But some people told me that people who do jobs that are not course related get rejected.
OK, thanks. But some people told me that people who do jobs that are not course related get rejected.

I think that may have some value for medical related courses but it doesnt really for others. There are Oxbridge tutors who write on here - perhaps post on those threads to get some direct advice, or in general under Oxbridge entry threads to see if current students can give feedback.
Original post by ajj2000
I think that may have some value for medical related courses but it doesnt really for others. There are Oxbridge tutors who write on here - perhaps post on those threads to get some direct advice, or in general under Oxbridge entry threads to see if current students can give feedback.

Can a tag a few student pls.
Can a tag a few student pls.

not sure i understand?
Original post by ajj2000
not sure i understand?

Can you tag students. As in can you name their usernames if you know any?
Can you tag students. As in can you name their usernames if you know any?

I dont know any I'm afraid. I would look through threads like:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4411262

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5381354

for example - and look in general through the Oxbridge boards to see which students are doing the courses you are applying for and if they can advise. I'm sure you can find a fair number within an hour or so. Also look on youtube and message anyone who looks interesting. Really you are looking for confirmation of what people who applied during a year out did during that year, and whether it mattered much.
Original post by ajj2000
I dont know any I'm afraid. I would look through threads like:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4411262

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5381354

for example - and look in general through the Oxbridge boards to see which students are doing the courses you are applying for and if they can advise. I'm sure you can find a fair number within an hour or so. Also look on youtube and message anyone who looks interesting. Really you are looking for confirmation of what people who applied during a year out did during that year, and whether it mattered much.

ok, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest