Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have a bit of a mini-dilemma. I've got an essay question called: "Only God has the right to give and take life."

I've got to talk about my own opinion but I don't believe in God...

Do I write: -As a humanist/atheist...
-An omnibenevolent God...
-etc...
????
Last edited by Obolinda; 2 years ago
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Perhaps look at it from the point of view of "If there was a God what would I think?"
Or you can write it from a moral perspective of why should anyone have the right to take life, even if some people believe they are the creator of the world?
You could write, as an atheist...but I suspect it would be hard to be relevant to the question by going down that route, so watch out for that if you do

Moved to Religion and Theology Study Help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obolinda
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
Perhaps look at it from the point of view of "If there was a God what would I think?"
Or you can write it from a moral perspective of why should anyone have the right to take life, even if some people believe they are the creator of the world?
You could write, as an atheist...but I suspect it would be hard to be relevant to the question by going down that route, so watch out for that if you do

Moved to Religion and Theology Study Help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!
chelseagirl2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can do it in the point of an athiest. You can disprove God and use that to say why that statement is false. Unless they are asking you to prove that statement.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
(Original post by chelseagirl2002)
You can do it in the point of an athiest. You can disprove God and use that to say why that statement is false. Unless they are asking you to prove that statement.
Thanks but I think "disproving God" would make the essay off topic and a bit long-winded as I'm talking about other religious perspectives as well. The aim of the essay is to just "discuss" different attitudes towards the statement - incorporating abortion and euthanasia.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
I have a bit of a mini-dilemma. I've got an essay question called: "Only God has the right to give and take life."

I've got to talk about my own opinion but I don't believe in God...

Do I write: -As a humanist/atheist...
-An omnibenevolent God...
-etc...
????
Write from the point of view of a generic believer in a generic god, without being specific to any relgion, just covering the common ground that common religions share.

Then write from the point of view that, if God doesn't exist (as you believe), nobody has the right to give/take life. Use this to explain and justify your own views.
Fbari_27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m guessing this would relate to euthanasia and abortion.
As an atheist u could say that u shouldn’t just take ur life as it is, as it could get better wether there is a god or not. Unless they have a serious illness in which they would like to die without pain ( insert ur opinion).
For abortion, taking the life of an unborn child is not sensible however if the family can not provide for it or if it is a consequence of rape, abortion can happen ( whatever your opinion is)
And you have to talk about the views of the religion ur studying. For and against. I hope this helped somehow
Obolinda
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
Write from the point of view of a generic believer in a generic god, without being specific to any relgion, just covering the common ground that common religions share.

Then write from the point of view that, if God doesn't exist (as you believe), nobody has the right to give/take life. Use this to explain and justify your own views.
thank you.

(Original post by Fbari_27)
I’m guessing this would relate to euthanasia and abortion.
As an atheist u could say that u shouldn’t just take ur life as it is, as it could get better wether there is a god or not. Unless they have a serious illness in which they would like to die without pain ( insert ur opinion).
For abortion, taking the life of an unborn child is not sensible however if the family can not provide for it or if it is a consequence of rape, abortion can happen ( whatever your opinion is)
And you have to talk about the views of the religion ur studying. For and against. I hope this helped somehow
thank you!
begbie68
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=Obolinda;81227536]I have a bit of a mini-dilemma. I've got an essay question called: "Only God has the right to give and take life."

I'm confused. (but that happens too easily?!)

A person with faith believes in an eternal life. So God neither giveth nor taketh away.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Use the technical term.

Abrahamic God.
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, I would do this after giving an argument for and against and any counter arguments (to that particular section of the essay) because then you can explain why you feel whichever way.

Say as someone who does not believe in God, I think that. As an atheist/non-believer etc that is fine.
Last edited by ZombieTheWolf; 2 years ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need not declare a position. It reads in a really juvenile way when people write 'as an atheist.. ' because you are trying too hard. We care not about what you are or are not; the argument must stand on its own merits. You can put forth an opinion without laying out that you think thus because you are an atheist. A simple 'one atheistic argument is...' will do, followed by an assessment of why you find this position to be convincing in comparison to some other position. Obviously correctly attributed to its major proponent or whatever.
Last edited by gjd800; 2 years ago
thaliaevelyn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As an atheist who went to a Catholic high school I wrote about something similar but I argued that decisions on life and death should be left to the mortal people it directly affects and at the end of every paragraph I threw in something about how "God gave us free will to make these choices" and "it's all part of God's plan" so I basically wrote the essay about mortals that I wanted to write but then I chucked in a sentence every now and then to appease the religious school I went to. IDK if that helps but I think I did pretty well when I got graded.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
(Original post by begbie68)
(Original post by Obolinda)

I'm confused. (but that happens too easily?!)

A person with faith believes in an eternal life. So God neither giveth nor taketh away.

(Original post by Notoriety)
Use the technical term.

Abrahamic God.

(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
Yes, I would do this after giving an argument for and against and any counter arguments (to that particular section of the essay) because then you can explain why you feel whichever way.

Say as someone who does not believe in God, I think that. As an atheist/non-believer etc that is fine.

(Original post by gjd800)
You need not declare a position. It reads in a really juvenile way when people write 'as an atheist.. ' because you are trying too hard. We care not about what you are or are not; the argument must stand on its own merits. You can put forth an opinion without laying out that you think thus because you are an atheist. A simple 'one atheistic argument is...' will do, followed by an assessment of why you find this position to be convincing in comparison to some other position. Obviously correctly attributed to its major proponent or whatever.
(Original post by thaliaevelyn)
As an atheist who went to a Catholic high school I wrote about something similar but I argued that decisions on life and death should be left to the mortal people it directly affects and at the end of every paragraph I threw in something about how "God gave us free will to make these choices" and "it's all part of God's plan" so I basically wrote the essay about mortals that I wanted to write but then I chucked in a sentence every now and then to appease the religious school I went to. IDK if that helps but I think I did pretty well when I got graded.
Thank you, real helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (254)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.79%

Watched Threads