Best books to learn french? Watch

Harry171
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Ok, I really like the language and wanted to take it as an a-level but my college don't let us take 4 unless you're doing further maths or did phenomenally at GCSE. So, I've decided that i still really want to learn the language so i'm wondering if anyone knows any good books (preferably containing both grammar and vocab) to use! thank you
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Harry171)
Ok, I really like the language and wanted to take it as an a-level but my college don't let us take 4 unless you're doing further maths or did phenomenally at GCSE. So, I've decided that i still really want to learn the language so i'm wondering if anyone knows any good books (preferably containing both grammar and vocab) to use! thank you
A good place to start is Essential French Grammar for the Sixth Form and Beyond ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Gram.../dp/095706120X ) which gives a thorough grounding of grammar. The exercises will develop your vocabulary as well although it is not specifically aimed at that.

For vocabulary development and general understanding of the language, there's nothing like sitting down with a short book and a good dictionary. What you do is religiously write down every single word you don't understand, with its translation - do this for the first 20 pages or so. By then the author will probably have used most of the words that (s)he is going to use in the book, and you can happily read on more confidently. You might like to start with an English book that you know, in French translation. Otherwise you could choose something fairly straightforward, like Le Petit Prince or Un Sac de Billes - not great literature as they are aimed at older children / teenagers but well-written and certainly accessible. Another good source of good quality easy-ish reading is the Tintin books - the illustrations help you understand quite a bit in the beginning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (27)
12.56%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (20)
9.3%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (47)
21.86%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (31)
14.42%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
12.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (63)
29.3%

Watched Threads