The Student Room Group

Do you need help for mocks??

Hey everyone,
I made a thread a few months ago about A-level chemistry, so I thought I would do one again for mocks. I finished my A-levels in June 2018 and achieved 3 A*s in biology , chemistry and maths. Feel free to ask me any questions on any topic from these subjects, or just general revision tips!
Hope this thread helps you!!
Regards,
Fatemeh.
Hi Fatemeh,congrats on your amazing A-level results.
I am currently struggling when it comes to biology revision I have tried many methods such as flashcards and mindmaps but they dont seem to be working.what in your opinion is the best method to make sure the information actually sticks in my head.
Sue
Hi Did you do Edexcel Biology B exam board for biology? If so, could you tell me any topics that came up?
Reply 3
Hello,
So for biology, I would recommend doing old and new past papers because they are key. Just because past parrots are old doesn’t mean they’re not useful because questions are recycled. Also for many exam boards the mark scheme is so specific so I would write down the terminology from the mark schemes that seem to come up a lot. Use physics and maths tutors for questions by topic and for old and new past papers. There are also many valuable resources on the actual exam board website. Try to find data analysis questions because these are what seem to come up a lot in these new exams, just type that on google. Best method as I said is to do a lot of past papers after you understand the full topic. To understand the full topic make sure you make notes with as many sources as you can and writing them in your own words. Also because of the sheer amount of info in biology I would recommend liking concepts to everyday activities or making up a whole new story in your head which you can remember easily!!! Mind maps are great only if you make them without looking at your notes so you can know if you’ve mastered a topic or not. Hope this helps. Sorry I have no info about edexcel biology.
I pretty much haven't been to any chemistry lessons and have my A levels in summer, do you have any advice for learning the content quickly as opposed to revision tips because I am currently unable to answer pretty much every question.
Reply 5
Original post by crazyyear12
Hi Fatemeh,congrats on your amazing A-level results.
I am currently struggling when it comes to biology revision I have tried many methods such as flashcards and mindmaps but they dont seem to be working.what in your opinion is the best method to make sure the information actually sticks in my head.
Sue

Hello,
So for biology, I would recommend doing old and new past papers because they are key. Just because past parrots are old doesn’t mean they’re not useful because questions are recycled. Also for many exam boards the mark scheme is so specific so I would write down the terminology from the mark schemes that seem to come up a lot. Use physics and maths tutors for questions by topic and for old and new past papers. There are also many valuable resources on the actual exam board website. Try to find data analysis questions because these are what seem to come up a lot in these new exams, just type that on google. Best method as I said is to do a lot of past papers after you understand the full topic. To understand the full topic make sure you make notes with as many sources as you can and writing them in your own words. Also because of the sheer amount of info in biology I would recommend liking concepts to everyday activities or making up a whole new story in your head which you can remember easily!!! Mind maps are great only if you make them without looking at your notes so you can know if you’ve mastered a topic or not. Hope this helps. Sorry I have no info about edexcel biology.
Reply 6
Original post by sachinihimara
I pretty much haven't been to any chemistry lessons and have my A levels in summer, do you have any advice for learning the content quickly as opposed to revision tips because I am currently unable to answer pretty much every question.

Hello,
Just because you haven't started studying A-level chemistry yet, I would recommend that at first you create a rough plan on what you hope to achieve each month up to your exams. This plan could include the lessons you want to complete, when you will revise these, when you will complete past paper questions etc... After that, get textbooks or revision guides or both (whatever suits you). I would recommend both but everyone is different, and if you prefer video learning you can use youtube and tailored tutors. Also, it is important to use the specification in order to make sure you cover all the points require by the exam board. Because you are a bit short on time, i would recommend you write up very concise notes only on what you need like (mechanisms, equations, mathematical equations and definitions) or just use chemrevise notes and highlight them. Then at the end of each chapter try to draw very rough mind maps to link your ideas since this is key in chemistry. After that, i recommend using A-levelchemistry.com because they do many questions by topic and also physics and maths tutor for (old and new) past papers to consolidate your knowledge. There is a very efficient revision method called spaced repetition (look it up it is very useful) which will help you to prioritise your time on topics you struggle on.If you need more help or assistance please don't hesitate to contact me.
Hope this helps,
Fatemeh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending