• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Happy New Year 2019!!

:party: :party: :party:

Last year we had a fabulous challenge, with many of you wonderful people getting involved. For those of you who haven’t come across this previously, Goodreads runs a Reading Challenge each year, and we follow along on TSR with the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge. You set a target for a number of books to read during the year and update here on your progress as you go along. You’re welcome to choose your own goal if 52 is too high or too low, however... just post here and let us know what you’re aiming for :woo:

A bonus task is to give every book a quick review and a rating out of 5 - spoiler anything that's a bit long and state clearly if your reviews contain spoilers, regardless of when the book was released. I like to post my reviews on Goodreads too, particularly for lesser known authors - one review can make a huge difference to them!

In the end, just have fun, read some books, feedback, and challenge yourself. Hopefully we get lots of you involved

Some of our past participants...

• TSR Support Team
    • Answer Heroes
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    To start us off, I’m aiming for 100 books this year, having reached 93 last year! I also have my yearly goal to beat minimarshmallow, of which I’ve yet to succeed
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I want to get back into reading so I'm going to set myself a challenge of 10

Maybe that target will increase during the year.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I read 62 books last year, but read absolutely nothing from mid-September onwards when third year of uni started. I just never got back into it. I'm not really feeling the urge to read right now (weird as I've been doing 52 books a year for a few years now and reading consistently for many more) so I think I'll start with a goal of 24 books just to try and get back into the swing of things and then increase later if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Happy New Year 2019

I'll try with 52, let's see how it goes

Book 1 - The Silence of the Girls, Pat Barker, which I'm currently reading

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to try and aim for 52 books.

That's probably very optimistic but oh well.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I've signed up for 100 (all manga, naturally), as last year's 50 didn't feel like much of a challenge. :nah:

(Original post by shadowdweller)
    TSR Goodreads Reading Challenge 2018: 52 Books in 52 Weeks!
    Fixed title.

ReputationRep:
    52 is too high for me because i'm more likely to read like dozens of books over summer but i would like to commit to this.

my plan is to get back into the routine of waking up early in the mornings. if i manage to do that then i'll definitely get through 52 this year. it's a little bit optimistic for me though because of exams so my target is around 30 books. oo this is so exciting

the first book is 1984. i stopped at some point because it was overdue from the library so i'll start from the beginning. utopia was way too difficult for me but i'll remind myself to read it over summer.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I've signed up for 100 (all manga, naturally), as last year's 50 didn't feel like much of a challenge. :nah:

Fixed title.
    Oh no, thank you :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm going to aim for 12...nowhere close to 52 but I want to start reading for pleasure again, rather than just texts I'm studying at alevel
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    might do this also Where do we update?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well I'll try :lol:
    Started Angels and Demons (by Dan Brown) yesterday

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

Pages = about 590? I'll check later
    Genre = Mystery/Adventure
    Age = Adult :mmm:

Review = Amazingly written, utterly captivating. Would recommend any of his works :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Going to do 11

ReputationRep:
    I'm aiming for 100 books this year
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I just about managed 30 last year, so think that is a sensible target for this year too
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Well, didn’t do so well last year but will go again for the 52 books this year. Finished 1 already ‘You Don’t Know Me’ about a guy on trial for a murder.

Surprisingly gripping book especially when at first look it seemed like it would be dry. Well worth a read!

Good luck all!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Aiming for 52 :yep: managed to read 30 last year but kinda got caught up with Heroes of Olympus - still reading the series but the books are kinda big, but fun 👍

Ps tip- audiobooks on youtube although not the best quality are available and pretty good to fall asleep to
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)

Fixed title.
    **Coughs.**
    whaaat. 100? Im almost impressed. But how?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Chronoscope)
    **Coughs.**
    whaaat. 100? Im almost impressed. But how?
    I used to go for 250, but haven't quite got the time now that I'm actually playing games instead of just buying them. :p:

https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/6877672
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Read curse of Challion

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.