The Student Room Group

Should I join the RAF?

At the moment, I’m currently thinking about applying for the RAF police or the Army.
Once I’ve completed training and join my squad, how likely will I be deployed abroad? For how long? And how many times could I be deployed abroad with the 3 years commitment?
Also, what’s the police role when deployed abroad? Cheers!
Original post by Yardeh
At the moment, I’m currently thinking about applying for the RAF police or the Army.
Once I’ve completed training and join my squad, how likely will I be deployed abroad? For how long? And how many times could I be deployed abroad with the 3 years commitment?

You can be deployed whenever needed.

A tour is (usually) around 6 months.

You could be deployed once, you could be deployed for the whole three years.

The military police role is to police the military.

If you don’t want to be deployed, why don’t you join the Police?
Original post by Yardeh

Original post by EconWarrior

You could be deployed once, you could be deployed for the whole three years.

There are generally limits on deployment, such that you can only be deployed for something like 6 months out of every 24. There are exceptions and the rules chance depending on the operational tempo and your role, but you certainly can't be deployed for 3 years continuously. You are highly unlikely to be posted overseas as a first tour in the Police.
Original post by Yardeh

Hi

From an RAF perspective:
The chances of being deployed abroad operationally are there in every role, but as has already been advised, it's unlikely that will happen straight after you've completed your training. You'll be posted somewhere on a UK station to gain experience in the role before you're deployed in an operational environment. But that can change depending on the operational need at the time and manpower requirements etc.

Which three years commitment are you talking about exactly? The return of service post training? You're offered a 12 year contract, that's the RAF commitment to you, 12 years guaranteed employment, but you can leave prior to that point if you wish. There is a minimum return of service post training though, as we've spent a lot of time and money training you...

Each posting during your career will be between 2-5 years (depending on whether you're an Officer or Airmen and which role you're in) and you'll move after each one. Operational deployment can be between a few weeks and 4-6 months and not for 3 years. You could get an overseas posting though, if that's what you mean? To a station elsewhere other than the UK? But you'd be doing the same role there as you will in the UK.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 4
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

From an RAF perspective:
The chances of being deployed abroad operationally are there in every role, but as has already been advised, it's unlikely that will happen straight after you've completed your training. You'll be posted somewhere on a UK station to gain experience in the role before you're deployed in an operational environment. But that can change depending on the operational need at the time and manpower requirements etc.

Which three years commitment are you talking about exactly? The return of service post training? You're offered a 12 year contract, that's the RAF commitment to you, 12 years guaranteed employment, but you can leave prior to that point if you wish. There is a minimum return of service post training though, as we've spent a lot of time and money training you...

Each posting during your career will be between 2-5 years (depending on whether you're an Officer or Airmen and which role you're in) and you'll move after each one. Operational deployment can be between a few weeks and 4-6 months and not for 3 years. You could get an overseas posting though, if that's what you mean? To a station elsewhere other than the UK? But you'd be doing the same role there as you will in the UK.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Cheers Adam!
On the RAF websites it says commit to 3 years minimum post phase 2 training.
I’m wanting to join the police as a airmen. Do you have any idea of what my role would consist of if I was deployed overseas.

Quick Reply

Latest