The Student Room Group

Driving test -emergency stop?

Just wondering - do you still have to do the emergency stop on your driving test? Got it in a couple weeks and haven’t done it once but i know before you had to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If conditions are dry and you get taken onto some quieter streets then there's a good chance you will - that said, I had to do one on both my tests, and it had been raining on the day of the second one, so even that's not a sure thing! Emergency stops are not a problem at all, get your instructor to go over it with you a couple of times and you'll be fine. Keep both hands on the wheel, remember to hit the clutch as well as the brake so you don't stall, make sure you secure the car after you've stopped (neutral and handbrake), and then do full observations before pulling away - you'll be fine!
Also for an emergency stop, disregard your normal training and do not look at your mirrors before you begin to brake. It's an emergency situation, you have no time to check mirrors. Doing so is potentially a serious fault in the test. The examiner will make sure there are no cars around you when he asks you to carry out the stop.
One in three tests has an emergency stop. They will be done in any weather conditions, as it would if you had to do one once you’ve passed. Reaction, control and observations (when setting off again) are key. Good luck
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by megmas
If conditions are dry and you get taken onto some quieter streets then there's a good chance you will - that said, I had to do one on both my tests, and it had been raining on the day of the second one, so even that's not a sure thing! Emergency stops are not a problem at all, get your instructor to go over it with you a couple of times and you'll be fine. Keep both hands on the wheel, remember to hit the clutch as well as the brake so you don't stall, make sure you secure the car after you've stopped (neutral and handbrake), and then do full observations before pulling away - you'll be fine!

Thanks for the reply, it’s just my instructor hasn’t even mentioned it to me or gone over it I knew about it from watching videos so if I hadn’t even watched the videos and it came up on my test I would of defiently failed
Reply 5
Original post by suzysues
One in three tests has an emergency stop. They will be done in any weather conditions, as it would if you had to do one once you’ve passed. Reaction, control and observations (when setting off again) are key. Good luck

Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by julietlima3
Also for an emergency stop, disregard your normal training and do not look at your mirrors before you begin to brake. It's an emergency situation, you have no time to check mirrors. Doing so is potentially a serious fault in the test. The examiner will make sure there are no cars around you when he asks you to carry out the stop.

Okay thanks, but should I be pratising doing it on my lessons? I know In the real world it’s unexpected but I’ve never done it on any of my lessons and quite concerned I’m being ripped off my money as he’s not learning me what I need to know?
Original post by ellieRx
Okay thanks, but should I be pratising doing it on my lessons? I know In the real world it’s unexpected but I’ve never done it on any of my lessons and quite concerned I’m being ripped off my money as he’s not learning me what I need to know?

You're being ripped off in your English lessons, too. It's "he's not teaching" me. He does the teaching, you do the learning.. and it's would have not would of.

Anyway.

An emergency stop is something that can, and most likely will, be covered in about five minutes of one lesson. Mention it to him. But it's easy. You just stop as quickly and safely as possible (they won't ask you to do it if it's unsafe for you to stop suddenly, so you don't do mirror checks before you stop) and then secure the car. Make sure you do all of your normal starting observations before you move off again, and that's all there is to it.
Reply 8
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
You're being ripped off in your English lessons, too. It's "he's not teaching" me. He does the teaching, you do the learning.. and it's would have not would of.

Anyway.

An emergency stop is something that can, and most likely will, be covered in about five minutes of one lesson. Mention it to him. But it's easy. You just stop as quickly and safely as possible (they won't ask you to do it if it's unsafe for you to stop suddenly, so you don't do mirror checks before you stop) and then secure the car. Make sure you do all of your normal starting observations before you move off again, and that's all there is to it.

Did that make your life a little better correcting me? I’m not worrying about the correct terms when I’m just asking a simple question, it’s not like it’s an exam or something important. I’m quite sure if anyone read it they’d know exactly what I meant. I got a B in English so def didn’t get ripped off.
Original post by ellieRx
Did that make your life a little better correcting me? I’m not worrying about the correct terms when I’m just asking a simple question, it’s not like it’s an exam or something important. I’m quite sure if anyone read it they’d know exactly what I meant. I got a B in English so def didn’t get ripped off.

To be fair, I did also answer your simple question. And no, it didn't make my life better per se, but I just sort of thought I was doing you a favour, as you will use these terms a lot in your life, and it's something a lot of people mix up, that's all. No offence meant. It's the teacher in me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
To be fair, I did also answer your simple question. And no, it didn't make my life better per se, but I just sort of thought I was doing you a favour, as you will use these terms a lot in your life, and it's something a lot of people mix up, that's all. No offence meant. It's the teacher in me.

Okay fair enough, I took offence to that at first so I apologise for going a bit over the top.
Interestingly, mixing up 'teach' and 'learn' only seems to happen to people learning English as a second language.
Reply 12
Interestingly, mixing up 'teach' and 'learn' only seems to happen to people learning English as a second language.

couldn’t imagine being so concerned about another persons English, pathetic really.
Will the examiner inform you that they will be asking you to do the emergency stop, or would you just have to be aware that they might ask on quiet roads?
Reply 14
Original post by DedicatedWizard
Will the examiner inform you that they will be asking you to do the emergency stop, or would you just have to be aware that they might ask on quiet roads?

I believe they’ll tell you just before that they’re going to make you do an emergency stop, not too sure though.
Original post by DedicatedWizard

They will make you pull up by the side of the road as normal. Then they'll explain that they will shortly ask you to carry out an emergency stop, and will tell you the signal to look out for (generally it will just be them saying STOP). Then you move off and drive as normal on the road until they give the signal, you won't have to wait long. Make sure you are otherwise driving normally and are accelerating up to the speed limit of the road. Don't drive slower than you should because you're expecting an emergency stop.

Original post by ellieRx
couldn’t imagine being so concerned about another persons English, pathetic really.

No need to be so offended, was just an observation I made since somebody else brought it up.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ellieRx

If nobody was concerned about anybody else, the world would be a sad place. Do you never correct your friends if they say or do something that's wrong, just because you think it would help them in the future?

I was so tempted to make another correction then but I doubt you'd take it well.

Good luck on your driving test anyway.
Reply 17
If nobody was concerned about anybody else, the world would be a sad place. Do you never correct your friends if they say or do something that's wrong, just because you think it would help them in the future?

I was so tempted to make another correction then but I doubt you'd take it well.

Good luck on your driving test anyway.

You’re a 28 year old on a Internet forum correcting silly things. Like I said it doesn’t help me whatsoever. I’m writing informally as an Internet forum is informal, correct? If I was filling out an application for a job I’d ensure my terms are correct.
Original post by ellieRx
You’re a 28 year old on a Internet forum correcting silly things. Like I said it doesn’t help me whatsoever. I’m writing informally as an Internet forum is informal, correct? If I was filling out an application for a job I’d ensure my terms are correct.

Being informal is using things like slang and lingo. Not straight up using the wrong word for something.
Reply 19
Being informal is using things like slang and lingo. Not straight up using the wrong word for something.

But you understood exactly what I meant, I’m so sorry Juliet that me, saying learning instead of teaching is affecting your life soooo much that you keep quoting what I am saying when I’m not even talking to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending