The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Sixth Form

I am in year 13 and currently studying maths, computing and physics A levels which I find really difficult and have no interest in. I have been suffering with severe anxiety and mild depression which cause panic attacks that sometimes prevent me from attending school. I have recently turned 18 so do have the option to leave but I don't know what to do. School says that if we fail, those grades are stuck with us forever and we will never succeed. If I leave without completing my A levels, will I be potentially throwing away good opportunities and is the school right about not succeeding and potentially loosing respect from employers? I am just completely stuck on what to do and on which decision is right!
Original post by beth31
I am in year 13 and currently studying maths, computing and physics A levels which I find really difficult and have no interest in. I have been suffering with severe anxiety and mild depression which cause panic attacks that sometimes prevent me from attending school. I have recently turned 18 so do have the option to leave but I don't know what to do. School says that if we fail, those grades are stuck with us forever and we will never succeed. If I leave without completing my A levels, will I be potentially throwing away good opportunities and is the school right about not succeeding and potentially loosing respect from employers? I am just completely stuck on what to do and on which decision is right!

Is there anyone at school or at home who knows your situation better that you can speak to? like a councellor or a form teacher or head of sixth form? Ultimately, there is no "right decision", only the one that is best for you; without knowing all the details, I would put your health before anything else. Mental health is so important and will have far greater impact on your life than exams taken at the age of 18. There are plenty of adult education courses should you wish to return to sixth form in the future, but there's only one you. I'm not going to lie- not having A Levels will probably be a large detriment to "high skilled work" and prevent you from going to higher education, but there are plenty of other jobs and things like apprenticeships that will enable you to live a content life if you dont want to go down the hyper-academic route. Again, please note that you can take A Levels again in your future. You don't have to do them this year. TL;DR, not doing your A Levels this year wont close the door to opportunitites to you, and your health ( and therefore your life) is way more important.
Reply 2
Thank you for the advice/information! My parents and school know about my situation. My parents have said they will support me whatever and the school don't really seem to care. They only seem to be bothered about my attendance.
Glad to have been of some help. I think that if it is getting as bad as you've said, you should drop out (or at least take time off). Get your parents to write the letter, or speak to an actual healthcare professional like a psychiatrist or councillor so that's your absence is official. I would suggest taking to healthcare official before you make any decisions anyway so that you get diagnosed or get help from ppl who actually know what they're talking about . There are loads of helplines and the NHS has a few programmes about mental health too. Best of luck for your future x
Reply 4
Thank you so much for the advice and support! My parents are going in to have a meeting with the schoo soon so that they will at least back off a bit however being a grammar school they care too much about my grades and not about my wellbeing. My plan is to just keep all my options open and if a better opportunity comes along, I will take it without question! x

Quick Reply

Latest