The Student Room Group

How easy/hard is it to transfer university to a COMPLETELY different course?

Hi,

I'm currently studying a language in my 1st year as an undergraduate, but I'm wondering about transferring to Maths/Computer Science or something similar at a Russel Group university.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about whether this kind of thing is possible? My personal guess is that I'm likely to be subject to pretty much the same requirements as someone applying to university first-time, i.e. I expect that:
a) If I apply to transfer after January 15th (UCAS deadline), it's less likely to succeed as places will be taken up, and
b) I'll need to have met the A-level requirements for the relevant course.

These are my impressions but I'd be very grateful if someone has any more concrete information, or has any ideas for where I could find out myself.

My A-levels are Maths (A), FM (A), French (A*) and Spanish (A*), so lots of maths courses aren't open to me as I don't have an A* in Maths, but some good ComSci ones (Warwick, Durham) seem to be.

The alternative, of course, is to actually just reapply through UCAS :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by archipelaglobule
Hi,

I'm currently studying a language in my 1st year as an undergraduate, but I'm wondering about transferring to Maths/Computer Science or something similar at a Russel Group university.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about whether this kind of thing is possible? My personal guess is that I'm likely to be subject to pretty much the same requirements as someone applying to university first-time, i.e. I expect that:
a) If I apply to transfer after January 15th (UCAS deadline), it's less likely to succeed as places will be taken up, and
b) I'll need to have met the A-level requirements for the relevant course.

These are my impressions but I'd be very grateful if someone has any more concrete information, or has any ideas for where I could find out myself.

My A-levels are Maths (A), FM (A), French (A*) and Spanish (A*), so lots of maths courses aren't open to me as I don't have an A* in Maths, but some good ComSci ones (Warwick, Durham) seem to be.

Read the FAQ here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

And this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5730344

But fundamentally you can only transfer into Y2 if you are essentially doing the same course. You will need to apply from scratch for Y1 entry, ideally by the standard 15th Jan deadline.
(edited 5 years ago)
As above (and whether you’re applying for year 1 or 2 entry you would still apply through ucas)
Original post by archipelaglobule
Hi,

Archipelaglobule - your impressions are correct. As you wish to take a completely different course, you would need to formally withdraw from your current course (once you are sure) and then reapply for Maths (or similar) via UCAS. You would be joining in Year 1 and could reapply to your current Uni as well as different Unis - it doesn't matter as long as you meet the A level requirements.

Realistically, you are unlikely to meet the 15th January deadline but there is no need to panic about that. Most Unis will still have vacancies for Maths after that date (even in Clearing in August, there will still be RG Unis with vacancies in Maths). Obviously, you should get your UCAS submitted as soon as possible, but it is very important to take the time to complete the form properly and do proper research into what exactly you want to do, and where. You would be applying as a private candidate as you are no longer at school/college, but you could phone your old school to check that they would be happy to write another UCAS reference for you (shouldn't be a problem).
Just to advise you that there are many RG universities that accept you for Maths without A*. Also non RG unis like Lancaster and East Anglia are also worth looking into.
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
Archipelaglobule - your impressions are correct. As you wish to take a completely different course, you would need to formally withdraw from your current course (once you are sure) and then reapply for Maths (or similar) via UCAS. You would be joining in Year 1 and could reapply to your current Uni as well as different Unis - it doesn't matter as long as you meet the A level requirements.

Realistically, you are unlikely to meet the 15th January deadline but there is no need to panic about that. Most Unis will still have vacancies for Maths after that date (even in Clearing in August, there will still be RG Unis with vacancies in Maths). Obviously, you should get your UCAS submitted as soon as possible, but it is very important to take the time to complete the form properly and do proper research into what exactly you want to do, and where. You would be applying as a private candidate as you are no longer at school/college, but you could phone your old school to check that they would be happy to write another UCAS reference for you (shouldn't be a problem).

They don't need to withdraw before applying (or even accepting a place) elsewhere.

They can withdraw at the end of the year, or just before starting the new course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
They don't need to withdraw before applying (or even accepting a place) elsewhere.

They can withdraw at the end of the year, or just before starting the new course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the correction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending