is it too late to start revision for alevels Watch

benwhite13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I know it's never to late but first exam in may. and I need 3 A's. I just quit my job to focus on these now. any success stories? tips.
Charl_Lou
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It sort of depends on how much revision you've done prior to this. I can only assume that you have had mock exams, and if your college is anything like mine, your exam results determine whether you can enter Y13 or not. Therefore, I would say that you are doing okay (providing that you are happy and on target). However, don't get complacent! Keep pushing yourself and do extra revision to reach those As! Maybe a revision timetable will work to keep you on track? If you don't mind me asking, what are you applying for? If you are after a super competitive course at a super competitive university, I'd definitely start my revision now because of the type of applicants applying for these courses. Remember, you want to stand out - so put your best foot forward with revision now!Good luck! x
thekidwhogames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's not impossible to revise in the time you have left off and pull of 3As. It is just less likely assuming you need to revise both AS and A2 content but it's still very feasible (and equally possible to completely ace them).

What subjects do you do?
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by benwhite13)
I know it's never to late but first exam in may. and I need 3 A's. I just quit my job to focus on these now. any success stories? tips.
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
It's not impossible to revise in the time you have left off and pull of 3As. It is just less likely assuming you need to revise both AS and A2 content but it's still very feasible (and equally possible to completely ace them).

What subjects do you do?
I’m doing A levels this year and haven’t started, neither have most people (if not all) in my year. I thought the normal was to revise from January, 5 months is quite a lot in itself, starting earlier seems pointless
thekidwhogames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
I’m doing A levels this year and haven’t started, neither have most people (if not all) in my year. I thought the normal was to revise from January, 5 months is quite a lot in itself, starting earlier seems pointless
I wouldn't say it's pointless but you're correct that generally, there is no point to revise "properly" earlier than that since background knowledge and all the work completed within the school system (i.e. homework, etc.) compensate for that. I'm assuming that the OP hasn't taken good opportunity of that (given he was previously working) hence my reasoning but you're right that generally, there is no need since all the previous experience makes up for it.
Aleks<3
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Same here, I have 5 months to revise everything.

I know someone who started their revision in Jan and ended up with an A*AA and an A* in their EPQ. But that's an individual.

I'm assuming you understand the content of your subjects? If yes, it's good enough. Just do practice papers and learn everything. If you still have areas you're unsure of, tackle them asap to not leave them last minute.
JMM4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I got AAA in Maths, Bio and Chem last year.

Maths was comfortable as we was forced to do lots of papers months in advance + I had an A in AS Maths. Did 2/3 papers a few days before each Maths exam and got As in 2 and a high B in 1. Didn’t revise Maths otherwise from my study leave starting at the beginning of May. I could have definitely pushed an A* but I needed to focus on my other 2 subjects.

Chem and Bio were a whole different story.

I was predicted a C in Chem as consistently got C/D in every mock I sat - including a D/E in the Easter Mocks before my A2 Exams! I realised the severity of the task in front of me just as I started study leave. I spent a good 5+ hours a day throughout May and the start of June revising every module of AS and A Level Chem. I prioritised Paper 1 and ended up spending much more time revising the content of that exam, leaving me rushed for time revising for 2 and 3 in the two following weeks. I ended up getting 91/105 on the Paper 1 followed by lower scores on the other 2 exams. My Chemistry teacher was shocked on results day, and I ended up winning Chemist of the Year LOL.

Now onto Bio. Over the course of the 2 years I’d consistently scored Bs and a few As on stronger topics. With Bio, we went back over topics done in AS throughout A2 as revision. When it came to study leave, I pretty much squeezed revision in anywhere I could when I was sick of doing Chemistry. It was a grind, past papers and practice papers helped a lot, and I ended up scraping an A by 1 mark.

I worked 2-3 shifts a week at work through 6th Form and didn’t have the energy most of the time to revise after school - so you quitting your job was a good move!

If I’m being completely honest, I wish I’d have realised how much work I needed to put in earlier on. Even 3-4 weeks revision for Paper 1 chemistry turned my grade from an E to an A*. If I’d have started revising this time last year I could’ve spent more time on P2 and P3 and maybe even got an A* in Chem! And wouldve spent more time on Bio and Maths and pushed for an A* in those 2. Funniest part is, once I started understanding Chem, it went from my most hated subject to my favourite and I enjoyed doing it - nerdy I know.

To add to the above, I was rejected from every uni for the course I wanted to do by April which demotivated me a lot. I turned it around however and am now on a gap year reapplying for uni!

My advice, start now and not in May. Spend more time doing subjects you find hardest as there’s no point revising things you know and are good at in other subjects. Past papers/question banks are such a good way to revise imo. When you see a topic you’re not doing well on, spend time on it.

Excuse the essay, please. GL in May/June.
Last edited by JMM4; 10 months ago
StrangeLilBean
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
How much you need to revise to get AAA depends on what grades you're already working at. If you're currently getting DUU, you're going to have to do a lot of work to get AAA. If you're basically already getting AAA in mocks, you won't need to do as much work.

Fwiw, I started revising when study leave started, so maybe a week before my first exam. I got A*BB, my Jan mock results had been something like ABC.
Aleks<3
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by James_M4)

Maths was comfortable as we was forced to do lots of papers months in advance + I had an A in AS Maths. Did 2/3 papers a few days before each Maths exam and got As in 2 and a high B in 1. Didn’t revise Maths otherwise from my study leave starting at the beginning of May. I could have definitely pushed an A* but I needed to focus on my other 2 subjects.

I was predicted a C in Chem as consistently got C/D in every mock I sat - including a D/E in the Easter Mocks before my A2 Exams! I realised the severity of the task in front of me just as I started study leave. I spent a good 5+ hours a day throughout May and the start of June revising every module of AS and A Level Chem. I prioritised Paper 1 and ended up spending much more time revising the content of that exam, leaving me rushed for time revising for 2 and 3 in the two following weeks. I ended up getting 91/105 on the Paper 1 followed by lower scores on the other 2 exams. My Chemistry teacher was shocked on results day, and I ended up winning Chemist of the Year LOL.

Now onto Bio. Over the course of the 2 years I’d consistently scored Bs and a few As on stronger topics. With Bio, we went back over topics done in AS throughout A2 as revision. When it came to study leave, I pretty much squeezed revision in anywhere I could when I was sick of doing Chemistry. It was a grind, past papers and practice papers helped a lot, and I ended up scraping an A by 1 mark.

I worked 2-3 shifts a week at work through 6th Form and didn’t have the energy most of the time to revise after school - so you quitting your job was a good move!

If I’m being completely honest, I wish I’d have realised how much work I needed to put in earlier on. Even 3-4 weeks revision for Paper 1 chemistry turned my grade from an E to an A*. If I’d have started revising this time last year I could’ve spent more time on P2 and P3 and maybe even got an A* in Chem! And wouldve spent more time on Bio and Maths and pushed for an A* in those 2. Funniest part is, once I started understanding Chem, it went from my most hated subject to my favourite and I enjoyed doing it - nerdy I know.

To add to the above, I was rejected from every uni for the course I wanted to do by April which demotivated me a lot. I turned it around however and am now on a gap year reapplying for uni!

My advice, start now and not in May. Spend more time doing subjects you find hardest as there’s no point revising things you know and are good at in other subjects. Past papers/question banks are such a good way to revise imo. When you see a topic you’re not doing well on, spend time on it.

I'm not the OP but this was really motivating! I got Ds in my christmas mocks, and I felt a bit stressed about not having enough time to get AAA (which I need). Thanks!
benwhite13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by James_M4)

thanks so much for taking the time to write this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (81)
19.38%
Labour (204)
48.8%
Liberal Democrats (57)
13.64%
Green Party (26)
6.22%
Brexit Party (5)
1.2%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.72%
SNP (8)
1.91%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.72%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.44%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)