That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve researched and talked to those who did A levels last year and they were saying most people start revising about a month before the first exam? Is this true? I was planning on starting today (which I have) and working at a relaxing pace but still getting a good chunk done everyday. I’m predicted 2 A* and an A but A* AA is my highest entry requirement. Is this enough time to get the grades?
TSR Jessica
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
I’ve researched and talked to those who did A levels last year and they were saying most people start revising about a month before the first exam? Is this true? I was planning on starting today (which I have) and working at a relaxing pace but still getting a good chunk done everyday. I’m predicted 2 A* and an A but A* AA is my highest entry requirement. Is this enough time to get the grades?
Probably is, but no one knows for certain. .
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 year ago
xiaochen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends what subject you're doing and the pace you work at and how well you can retain that information in your head I guess...

For me, because I was very anxious about getting good grades, I taught myself a lot of the physics/maths syllabus I was due to learn later in the year in the summer before year 13. Then when I came to learn it in class, it became my revision. I then just did every single past paper there was and made flash cards and made massive posters and stuck post-its everywhere.

I think it'll be good for you to make a list of all your past papers and make a schedule leading up to your exam so that you can get through most of them. I think its a good idea to get going on them even if you feel that you haven't properly revised every topic yet (I was a bit like this, reluctant to do the papers but I realised by the time I finish all the revision without doing any past papers, there would be little time left, and anyway doing past papers defo speeds up your revision).

Good luck!!
Ecdysiastt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xiaochen)
Depends what subject you're doing and the pace you work at and how well you can retain that information in your head I guess...

For me, because I was very anxious about getting good grades, I taught myself a lot of the physics/maths syllabus I was due to learn later in the year in the summer before year 13. Then when I came to learn it in class, it became my revision. I then just did every single past paper there was and made flash cards and made massive posters and stuck post-its everywhere.

I think it'll be good for you to make a list of all your past papers and make a schedule leading up to your exam so that you can get through most of them. I think its a good idea to get going on them even if you feel that you haven't properly revised every topic yet (I was a bit like this, reluctant to do the papers but I realised by the time I finish all the revision without doing any past papers, there would be little time left, and anyway doing past papers defo speeds up your revision).

Good luck!!
And what did you get in the end?
xiaochen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ecdysiastt)
And what did you get in the end?
A*A*A*A*AB + A*
in maths, further maths, physics, electronics, music, chinese and EPQ
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1000000% enough, make sure you dont procrastinate, and in 4 months, here like is 1 month enough?
neroantonius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A*A*A*A*AB + A*
Holy hell good job xD
xiaochen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by neroantonius)
Holy hell good job xD
Thank you!!! A Levels were sooo stressful ngl just glad its over... (then uni will come along and it'll be the same thing all over again ugh)
xndria_12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
More than enough - you should find that period up to the exam date very easy! xx
Ecdysiastt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A*A*A*A*AB + A*
Bloody hell... What are you doing now?

Also, I do Maths Physics and Design, and I'm really struggling to keep my motivation up in it in Design. How did you manage all your coursework?
xiaochen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ecdysiastt)
Bloody hell... What are you doing now?

Also, I do Maths Physics and Design, and I'm really struggling to keep my motivation up in it in Design. How did you manage all your coursework?
Ahhhh good luck!! My friend did exactly the same...
I'm currently doing a year in industry and reapplying to Cambridge lol

I had coursework for maths, electronics and music. Since I have constantly been revising since September, I could work at a slower rate (didn't have to cram, wasn't rushed for time) so managing coursework was not too bad.

For maths, I just dedicated a week or so to completing it as it wasn't too difficult or large a project.

For electronics, I had an electronics project to do, which I thought about how to go about doing in the summer (it's one of those where you have to make up something vaguely original and create a problem which you solve using electronics), then started my research on how I was going to programme the microcontrollers Sep-Dec (doing a tiny bit at a time). When I finally got the components and stuff, I spent quite a lot of frees soldering components (this was instead of eating lunch and hanging out with friends lol :""D) but got the coding done in 4 days. It was nice that 4 weeks of electronics lessons were dedicated to working on coursework but I managed to finish it early Feb (deadline was April) so I used the remaining lessons to revise electronics.

For music, I spent legit all my frees in March/April composing composing and composing (takes me a while because ideas don't come that easily) and for the performing aspect of music, I just played piano in my spare time at home (this was my method of procrastinating my science/maths studies lol).

I think the biggest thing was time management for me tbh - knowing when I will get things done is a massive reassurance than just spontaneous decisions on what to do next. I spent a lot of time actually making study plans (dont go through with half of them - its another way of procrastination) but often it is a solid reminder of things I need to get done. Also good to set yourself time frames for completion for stages within your project so that you don't end up like me where I'd just waste hours undecided and thinking what to do next lol.
Last edited by xiaochen; 1 year ago
L_stMemories
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Although on the whole different people prefer to revise in different ways with different schedules, I think you can't go wrong with this plan. Spacing out your revision over time is a great way to avoid the pressure of cramming everything when there isn't much time left!
I would start with the topics that you are struggling the most or that you envision require the most time to work on. This way you can get all your topics up to a similar level of confidence some time before the exam, then start working on past papers.
As you said, do work at a relaxing pace and don't burn out in the months leading up to your A-Levels.

Excellent predictions - I've no doubt you'll do great on your exams. Good luck!
EyestriX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A*A*A*A*AB + A*
How is it possible to do that? :wtf:
You did 6 alevels and an EPQ :zomg:
Yr_11_MATHS
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A*A*A*A*AB + A*
Hey bro.. are you chinese? if so then I'm chinese too and I hope I achieve similar grades to you... What's the best resource for further and normal maths because I'm running out of questions.....
Lgannil
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could you two folks tell me how much you study in a day?
I think it is really admirable how many Asian have a very rigorous work ethic.
Would you mind sharing what your daily program is like? Thanks in advance!
(Original post by Yr_11_MATHS)
Hey bro.. are you chinese? if so then I'm chinese too and I hope I achieve similar grades to you... What's the best resource for further and normal maths because I'm running out of questions.....
A*A*A*A*AB + A*
Last edited by Lgannil; 1 year ago
xiaochen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EyestriX)
How is it possible to do that? :wtf:
You did 6 alevels and an EPQ :zomg:
Haha I did maths and Chinese 2 years early with a couple resits in maths
xiaochen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Yr_11_MATHS)
Yeah, also Singaporean but studying in the UK!
Aww good luck man 😀😀
I prepared actually by doing a lot of textbook questions as there will often be questions at the end of exercises that will be more difficult than typical a level maths questions. Redoing papers is also a good thing to do. I also got my teacher to compile the most difficult questions of the past papers and I would do them under timed conditions. And I found this super good website: https://madasmaths.com
It has loads of loads of super hard questions for various further maths and uni maths topics!
xiaochen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lgannil)
Could you two Chinese folks tell me how much you study in a day?
I think it is really admirable how many Asian have a very rigorous work ethic.
Would you mind sharing what your daily program is like? Thanks in advance!
In college I wasn't allowed a smartphone and I didn't own a TV. I'd wake up and go to college and spent all my frees on my own in the library even in lunch. I refrained from studying with friends because we'd just end up talking and not working. At home I'd only study or play piano/violin but tbh I spent 60% of the time playing piano and 20% procrastinating. But when I get into the study mood I can be at it for hours and hours lol
JessThomas6
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
5 months is more than enough. I probably started around March, revised for a couple of hours a day and ended up with AAB. While not the best I was predicted BBB, so I think I did okay. 5 months is plenty.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Course Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 2 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (91)
35.55%
I really love the subject (70)
27.34%
I don't know what else to do (30)
11.72%
I can't get a job (18)
7.03%
My parents want me to (7)
2.73%