How long to get ready for a 10 mile race

Watch
MikePL
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've signed up to do a 10 mile race on 17th March. I was a decent runner up until about 12 months ago when I had a serious knee injury and have had my running interrupted over the last year. I've signed up to this race so that I've got something to aim for.

Is between now and race day enough time to get myself ready?
Aazaa_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on where you're at right now. When I had my last injury I had to stop running for months and it took me a while to get back to where I was at before as my V02 max and body performance had decreased (it took me about 1-3 weeks).
I would say that it's quite unlikely unless you plan to run everyday.
How many miles could you do before?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I think so - as long as your knee isn't still causing an issue. You'll improve faster since you did it already.
Holly00
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’d think as long as you’re at a reasonable fitness level now you should be fine. What’s more important than running every day is training your knee every day, I’d also be cautious of your hips and back as if things get out of line it can have a knock on effect.

I would disagree with aazaa and say the best way to tackle increasing your running abilities is varying things up- run 4 days a week then work in yoga, HIIT and plyometric and weights sessions depending on what suits you best.
Most importantly tho is that you listen to your body, don’t get injured from pushing to much to quick.
Aazaa_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Holly00)
I’d think as long as you’re at a reasonable fitness level now you should be fine. What’s more important than running every day is training your knee every day, I’d also be cautious of your hips and back as if things get out of line it can have a knock on effect.

I would disagree with aazaa and say the best way to tackle increasing your running abilities is varying things up- run 4 days a week then work in yoga, HIIT and plyometric and weights sessions depending on what suits you best.
Most importantly tho is that you listen to your body, don’t get injured from pushing to much to quick.
What I meant by 'everday' was around 5-6 times a week. Obviously with a variety such as one long distance run, running hills, doing a tempo run every now and then etc. Increasing the miles you do every week (but don't push your body too much)
and on the easy days doing hiit workouts and weights.

Sorry, I should've made it a bit clearer.
MikePL
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Aazaa_)
What I meant by 'everday' was around 5-6 times a week. Obviously with a variety such as one long distance run, running hills, doing a tempo run every now and then etc. Increasing the miles you do every week (but don't push your body too much)
and on the easy days doing hiit workouts and weights.

Sorry, I should've made it a bit clearer.
Before my injury I was quite a good runner. I was running 10K's at around 41/42 minutes on a regular basis and had done a few half marathons too. I have got back into running again over the past few months and now I'm more or less back to what level I was at before my injury when I'm running on the treadmill but when I run on the roads I still find myself struggling a little bit, although I think some of this may be psychological because I feel as though I don't have any confidence anymore when it comes to road running.

I am just trying to be sensible and build things up slowly. I was supposed to go back running with my running team tonight but the temperate is going to be minus 2 tonight so I thought it best to avoid it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (130)
59.09%
No (48)
21.82%
Not sure (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads