£27k salary would you say that is low or high

Watch this thread
ineedtorevise127
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
In London (living with parents )

And rest of UK (living with parents)

That is about the average UK salary
cheesecakelove
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Depends on how far you are in your career and what your living budget is like.
unholysaint2022
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
way too low for me.
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ineedtorevise127)

It is what it is, and being "too low" or "too high" entirely depends on the circumstances.

Also https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/co...erage-borough/
TheYearNiner
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Low for living in London and average of you're elsewhere in uk
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Depends on your life situation. If you've got 2 GCSEs and you're 17 it's really good. If you've got an engineering degree from a top uni plus work exp it's not great. You can live on it either way.
Quady
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

As I was offered £28k on graduation a decade ago then I'll go 'low' out of those options. (that was in North West england)
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
As I was offered £28k on graduation a decade ago then I'll go 'low' out of those options. (that was in North West england)
That would be a great starting salary outside the SE today, even more so 10 years ago (early in the recession I'd guess).
Themysticalegg
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Depends on your career stage, however if you're living with your parents and spending is low its a great wage to have. Probably saving more money than most people if rent and food expenditure is minimal.
Sonicalireza
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If you just came out of Uni and got a job outside of London for starting salary 27k, I’d say that is high for that’s context
NX172
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Depends which part of London, might be ok for some of the worst boroughs. If that's your graduate salary you'd be doing 'ok' and likely on track for much better in a few years to come. Otherwise it's very low.
Generally on that salary you can expect to be renting a room and living an extremely frugal life - some people are ok with that, especially those living on their own. If you have any dependents you'll find life a daily struggle.
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Depends on personal circumstances: age, occupation, location, no of dependents, usual standard of living.
For graduates living in London with families to support, it would be low.
The average single graduate monthly rent for a room in outer London is around £700-750 plus a share of bills, inner London region closer to £1000.
FloralHybrid
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

If you’re not paying rent or utilities yeah that’s pretty good. As people have said above - If you’re at the bottom of a potential career ladder, it’s a much better salary than if you’re near the top, or in a career where there’s little room for movement.
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Well, what are you doing for that job? If you are stacking shelves in a supermarket it is about 3* as much as their lowest band employees. If you are an engineer that just designed a new engine for Ford then it is pretty low.
Quady
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NX172)
Depends which part of London, might be ok for some of the worst boroughs. If that's your graduate salary you'd be doing 'ok' and likely on track for much better in a few years to come. Otherwise it's very low.
Generally on that salary you can expect to be renting a room and living an extremely frugal life - some people are ok with that, especially those living on their own. If you have any dependents you'll find life a daily struggle.
Why on earth would you rent a room rather than just have your own place?
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Why on earth would you rent a room rather than just have your own place?
Your own place would likely have your bed and kitchen in the same room if it was central London xD
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yes, but contrary to popular belief being so frugal that you are eating baked beans every day for the rest of your life and have no savings is not a good thing.
Quady
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You can live alone and save over £500/month on that.
Quady
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
27k in hull is like 60k in london. Pretty decent.
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Mcworkers couldn't afford to live in London on their own : (

I mean avg rental price for 1 bed flat in London = 1.25k * 12 = £15,000 before bills, and council tax/income tax. = pretty much baked beans.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
28.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.7%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.7%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.43%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.13%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.35%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.17%

Watched Threads