Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

This year I want to get my driving licence however I don't know much about it as don't know anyone I could ask and the internet isn't helpful as every website asks me to register first ugh

1) learn on a manual or automatic car? some people say it's better to start off on a manual as its better to know both ways of driving. So is it better to learn how to drive on a manual or automatic? Also, is there a difference in prices

2) Is it better to buy CDs or the books for the theory test? And which book/CDs do you recommend?
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The DVSA section on the gov.uk website should have all of the information. You need to apply and wait for a provisional license on there before you can take driving lessons.
1) You might as well learn manual
2) There's a driving theory app from the DVSA for like £5 (i think) with all the theory and practice for the test
imalexpoole
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Best thing to do is download a theory app on your phone, costs £5-£10. I learnt from doing mock tests over and over again until I knew pretty much all the answers - passed first time.
username3295148
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I found The Highway Code to be very useful. I learnt it and practiced mock tests using the AA driving test cd. Passed first time. Highly recommend both.
julietlima3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely learn on a manual. If you pass your test on a manual, you can drive both manuals and automatics. But if you do your test in an automatic, you are only qualified to drive automatics.
Aaron702
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Learn in a manual, it might take you a few more lessons but you'll be grateful afterwards. I learnt the theory by reading the highway code a couple times. I've also heard good things about the theory test app.
Queentan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First you would need to apply for a provisional driving license on the DVSA gov website and it’s £35 I believe if you do it online and £45 if done through post. For theory test you can download the official app which cos £5, but there are free ones that have the exact same questions. Usually automatic cars are more expensive than manual and harder to find in a certain make and model you want it in, but you could find some for decent price if you look around well for example my uncle got an Toyota Yaris automatic for £670 and he still has it been almost a year now. Also automatic lessons cost slightly more than manual lessons but you might take less driving lessons than you would in a manual as you won’t need to worry about getting the hang of the clutch and gear changing which does usually take time to adapt to while driving
Merry Xmas 2k19
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
try manual if after 5-10 hours you feel you have not learnt anything switch to automatic.you probs will be fine. only really unable people won't manage.

and for theory I agree with others get official DVLA app. no useless cd needed
Bubblylibra
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

This year I want to get my driving licence however I don't know much about it as don't know anyone I could ask and the internet isn't helpful as every website asks me to register first ugh

1) learn on a manual or automatic car? some people say it's better to start off on a manual as its better to know both ways of driving. So is it better to learn how to drive on a manual or automatic? Also, is there a difference in prices

2) Is it better to buy CDs or the books for the theory test? And which book/CDs do you recommend?
Learn manual. It can be tricky at first, but with practise it will come naturally to you!

For theory test you can download the official DVSA app for your phone. I found this was the best way to learn all the possible questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (25)
18.25%
I'm not sure (3)
2.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
32.85%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.19%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.53%

Watched Threads