Sotschi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm thinking about just taking a couple of weeks off work to go travelling in somewhere like Thailand or China. I'm currently on my gap year so I can go during the off-season when everything is unbelievably cheap compared to in the summer when my friends are available. Does anyone have any advice about travelling alone? Should I go trekking in an arranged group with a tour provider instead (although I feel this will be awkward)? Any help appreciated!!
RevisionNad
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i think it would be a nice experience although i would suggest it may be more fun with friends- and safer too
Sotschi
Rep:
?
(Original post by RevisionNad)
i think it would be a nice experience although i would suggest it may be more fun with friends- and safer too
Thanks for replying!! I agree that it would be more fun tbh, the problem I have is none of my friends can afford to go due to the cost of uni, and most of the best deals are when they are at uni. Maybe I should just save the money instead
RevisionNad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sotschi)
Thanks for replying!! I agree that it would be more fun tbh, the problem I have is none of my friends can afford to go due to the cost of uni, and most of the best deals are when they are at uni. Maybe I should just save the money instead
i suggest you do and go when you are really sure and feel the umph to go. But research online- like if you find a travel group to go with then maybe it won't be all that awkward as you think it may be and you can make new friends too!
StrangeLilBean
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go for it!

I've been on holiday alone a couple of times,
including to South Africa for a couple of weeks in my gap year. Half of that I was alone, half was with friends who live out there. The part where I was alone, I didn't go through a tour operator but I did use local tour operators for a couple of things like a city tour and a safari

If you're the kind of person that has to be around friends 24/7 then you might find it tricky, but if you're happy being alone or with strangers then you'll be fine. If you stay in a youth hostel, people tend to be really friendly anyway - but do look at the reviews first!!

You do need to be a bit more aware of your safety if you're travelling on your own. I texted my mum every morning when I was alone in South Africa, to tell her what my plans for the day were, and every evening to tell her I was back at the hostel safely. Hopefully that way if I'd got in trouble, she'd have worked it out within the day. I also got an Uber places within walking distance because it felt safer (and was ridiculously cheap anyway). Obviously some of this depends on the country - alone in UK/France/etc I wouldn't take the same precautions as in South Africa.

One advantage of being on holiday on your own is that you can do whatever you want. Go to a museum on a super-niche topic that none of your friends would want to go to - and avoid being dragged to a boring museum that your mate wants to go to. Have a lie in when you want, get up at 6am for a full day of sightseeing when you want.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
go by yourself. tour guides dont care. hotel receptionists wont judge you, they get all sorts of visitors. It might be a better experience because you'd have more freedom on your own like even when I do travel with people, I still have some me time and roam around on my own. You gotta. Just...be careful lol especially if you dont look Thai or Chinese, and dont speak thai or chinese. Dont be that stupid foreigner.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes, see? just what I said, safety and freedom:

(Original post by StrangeLilBean)
Go for it!

including to South Africa for a couple of weeks in my gap year. Half of that I was alone, half was with friends who live out there. The part where I was alone, I didn't go through a tour operator but I did use local tour operators for a couple of things like a city tour and a safari

If you're the kind of person that has to be around friends 24/7 then you might find it tricky, but if you're happy being alone or with strangers then you'll be fine. If you stay in a youth hostel, people tend to be really friendly anyway - but do look at the reviews first!!

You do need to be a bit more aware of your safety if you're travelling on your own. I texted my mum every morning when I was alone in South Africa, to tell her what my plans for the day were, and every evening to tell her I was back at the hostel safely. Hopefully that way if I'd got in trouble, she'd have worked it out within the day. I also got an Uber places within walking distance because it felt safer (and was ridiculously cheap anyway). Obviously some of this depends on the country - alone in UK/France/etc I wouldn't take the same precautions as in South Africa.

One advantage of being on holiday on your own is that you can do whatever you want. Go to a museum on a super-niche topic that none of your friends would want to go to - and avoid being dragged to a boring museum that your mate wants to go to. Have a lie in when you want, get up at 6am for a full day of sightseeing when you want.
Sotschi
Rep:
?
(Original post by StrangeLilBean)
Go for it!

That sounds cool. I'm quite introverted so I don't really mind being alone for a week or two. What did you do in the evenings? I'm planning to go for 10 days to Thailand (the flight also has a stop in Beijing for a day) so I'd probably go to Bangkok and Phuket A lot of tours are pretty expensive and I wouldn't really have as much freedom. I'm basically bored of working full-time so I fancy a break sometime soon haha, although my parents aren't too happy with the idea of me going alone.
Sotschi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
go by yourself. tour guides dont care. hotel receptionists wont judge you, they get all sorts of visitors. It might be a better experience because you'd have more freedom on your own like even when I do travel with people, I still have some me time and roam around on my own. You gotta. Just...be careful lol especially if you dont look Thai or Chinese, and dont speak thai or chinese. Dont be that stupid foreigner.
I've travelled plenty before around Europe and Africa, but I've been with other people. Where would you recommend I go? On the one hand, I'd really like to go somewhere I've never been to before such as Thailand/South East Asia, but on the other hand, maybe sticking to Europe would be safer. I was thinking of going to Moscow/St Petersburg instead
username4316350
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ive done organised trips when working abroad it was from STA travel site and yeah theyre pretty sick tbf the one i joined for a few days was a 30 day trip across canada. it was mainly solo travellers thats what those trips are designed for
Sotschi
Rep:
?
(Original post by SJW-)
ive done organised trips when working abroad it was from STA travel site and yeah theyre pretty sick tbf the one i joined for a few days was a 30 day trip across canada. it was mainly solo travellers thats what those trips are designed for
That’s sounds really good! I was looking at Asia or Africa initially but Canada is probably way safer for single travellers. I was about to book a trip trekking through the Atlas Mountains but two people were killed there in December so maybe not...
Sotschi
Rep:
?
(Original post by SJW-)
Is STA a good company to use? I'm thinking of booking something right now lol, I'm determined to go
StrangeLilBean
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That sounds cool. I'm quite introverted so I don't really mind being alone for a week or two. What did you do in the evenings? I'm planning to go for 10 days to Thailand (the flight also has a stop in Beijing for a day) so I'd probably go to Bangkok and Phuket A lot of tours are pretty expensive and I wouldn't really have as much freedom. I'm basically bored of working full-time so I fancy a break sometime soon haha, although my parents aren't too happy with the idea of me going alone.
I don't think I did much in the evenings. I think most days I came back to the hostel about 6 or 7pm, had dinner, then just went to bed to watch Netflix or whatever. But given how much I was doing during the daytime, that suited me quite well

This would probably be more difficult for Asian countries, because things for locals won't be in English, but I found that in South Africa tourism companies marketed at South Africans/Africans in general were cheaper than those marketed to international tourists. Tour websites with prices in SA Rand were consistently cheaper than those that let you pay in £/€/$. By going through a local tour operator, I got a safari daytrip for basically half what some of the big international companies were charging - yes, I was picked up in a regular car not the luxury cars that some of the other companies were using, but once we were at the safari park, everyone got exactly the same treatment.

My parents were also worried about me going alone. I explained to my mum what I was planning to do, how I'd budgeted, what my contingency plans were (e.g. I had enough money in my account to pay for a flight back to England if everything went completely wrong!), etc. She was still a bit worried, but she didn't try to talk me out of going!
username4316350
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is STA a good company to use? I'm thinking of booking something right now lol, I'm determined to go
yeah it worked for me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed