TonyMontana.
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
can I disagree on a how successfully question on English language?
And what is the structure you use for this type of question?

QUESTION IS WORTH 15 MARKS
hanlouh
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by in_jail_out_soon)

No, whether its successful or not . its succesful now so argue that its successful
TonyMontana.
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by hanlouh)
No, whether its successful or not . its succesful now so argue that its successful
thanks for taking your time to help me could you also tell me what structure you would use
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You can argue against the statement, but it is definitely not recommended. I was with Edexcel, and I assume you are too (with the fifteen-mark tariff being mentioned). I never argued against the statement because I was not penalised for doing so (and staunchly dissuaded from doing so by my teacher), despite the command word being 'evaluate' and AO4 being assessed here.

The structure that I always used was to write (or type in my case) an answer consisting of three paragraphs. In each of the three, I'd talk about why an element of SITE (settings, ideas, themes and events) made a certain theme or aspect of the excerpt successful. Obviously, I'd omit the element of SITE that I thought was irrelevant (this was usually the 'setting' element).

All of my paragraphs in this question (Q4 on Paper 1 and Q6 on Paper 2) would always begin with 'evaluative' language to show my focus on AO4 (e.g. 'masterfully manipulates', 'cleverly crafts', 'the writer's exemplary inclusion of...' etc.). After that, I'd include the element of SITE my paragraph would discuss and embed a quote. Then, I would delve deeper into this aspect of the excerpt and also explain its effect on the reader to end the paragraph. I would repeat this process until I had made produced three paragraphs.

Three in-depth paragraphs are as sufficient as four paragraphs (which is what was actually recommended).

Good luck!
Last edited by Tolgash; 2 years ago
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

4 advance marks for correcting the question... I know, good English is orrid.
username4412650
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It’s important to include counter arguments to show that you understand both sides, but they mainly want you to be able to argue whatever point they’ve given you
Tolgash
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anonONE1)
It’s important to include counter arguments to show that you understand both sides, but they mainly want you to be able to argue whatever point they’ve given you
The mark-scheme never asks for a balanced answer with arguments on both sides of the fence though. You can get full marks without arguing against the statement.
username4412650
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
The mark-scheme never asks for a balanced answer with arguments on both sides of the fence though. You can get full marks without arguing against the statement.
It does have you read the mark scheme? I didn’t say sit on on fence I mean include counter arguments such as “some might argue that.... however this is outweighed by....” this is only OCR though I’m not sure if you must do it for AQA
Tolgash
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It does have you read the mark scheme? I didn’t say sit on on fence I mean include counter arguments such as “some might argue that.... however this is outweighed by....” this is only OCR though I’m not sure if you must do it for AQA
For Edexcel, it does not.
username4412650
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
For Edexcel, it does not.
Okay? The question didn’t state which exam board and I never said it was integral it was just a piece of advice because for the top marks it says “Arguments and counter-arguments are stated in their strongest forms”
Anthos
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I do AQA, and this question is worth 16 marks on Paper 1 and 20 marks on Paper 2, I believe. My English teacher says to agree with the statement, unless you can really explain yourself and find quotes disagreeing with the statement.
Tolgash
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Okay? The question didn’t state which exam board and I never said it was integral it was just a piece of advice because for the top marks it says “Arguments and counter-arguments are stated in their strongest forms”
There is no fifteen-mark question that solely focuses on AO4 with OCR. I have just checked both of their papers and their mark-schemes. I don't know why you would assume it was them. The OP also mentions 'how successfully', which is phrasing that is used in Edexcel's AO4 questions.
username4412650
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
There is no fifteen-mark question that solely focuses on AO4 with OCR. I have just checked both of their papers and their mark-schemes. I don't know why you would assume it was them. The OP also mentions 'how successfully', which is phrasing that is used in Edexcel's AO4 questions.
I’m just going to send you a link to the mark scheme because you’re not understanding me 😂
Tolgash
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I’m just going to send you a link to the mark scheme because you’re not understanding me 😂
You do what you want, but anything relating to OCR (including the demands of their mark-scheme for AO4) is pretty much irrelevant here. A little bit of inference suggests that this is for Edexcel.
hanlouh
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
thanks for taking your time to help me could you also tell me what structure you would use
I’d love to help but I’m really not good at English, Ik all the questions and what you need to do for each of them but my structure isn’t a good example. I usually just do a paragraph for each success I find and then a conclusion, but I would take my advice I got 9/15 on it in my mock. Which is good for me but probably not for most people
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads