Sherlocked01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm completely split between Nottingham Trent and Hertfordshire for animation at University... Both courses look so good but idk. I'm just worried about Hertfordshire because I've heard that the area is pretty bad but the course looks really good from the open day, although maybe they were just exaggerating? Nottingham Trent looks really good too, the open day was great and the area is amazing but still. But I just don't know if the course is as good as Hertfordshire... The student work at Hertfordshire was really amazing and inspirational but Nottingham Trent was really cool as well. Idk, what does anyone else think?
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
chelseadagg3r can you help with this
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
University of Hertfordshire
moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hatfield (where the University of Hertfordshire is based) is not the most beautiful town in the UK (although it does have some lovely parts - old Hafield for example) but in terms of crime it is a lot safer than Nottingham for example! You can view the crime statistics here:

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.c o.uk/crime-rates-in-university-cities-and-towns/

Thanks for your nice comments about our work. Regarding where to go to - apply to both and see which ones you get interviews for and then which one makes you an offer! You can worry about everything else after that, although I would recommend choosing the course whose work impressed you over one with a nice looking location... because its the work that gets you hired, not going somewhere with a pretty campus!
ClockworkPaws
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, let me know what you end up deciding on! I'm also stuck with a similar choice (more like Herts vs AUB vs Portsmouth vs BU) and the main thing holding me back from Herts is the area. I'm really looking for a place with a busy, exciting lifestyle and I know Hatfield isn't that, but it's whether anywhere else has a course as good as that that allows BOTH 2D and 3D work.
Sherlocked01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by moid)
Hatfield (where the University of Hertfordshire is based) is not the most beautiful town in the UK (although it does have some lovely parts - old Hafield for example) but in terms of crime it is a lot safer than Nottingham for example! You can view the crime statistics here:

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.c o.uk/crime-rates-in-university-cities-and-towns/

Thanks for your nice comments about our work. Regarding where to go to - apply to both and see which ones you get interviews for and then which one makes you an offer! You can worry about everything else after that, although I would recommend choosing the course whose work impressed you over one with a nice looking location... because its the work that gets you hired, not going somewhere with a pretty campus!
Thanks for the advice and yeah that's actually a very good point... The work is the most important thing, way more important than a nice looking location. Still I loved the work at both universities fairly equally, it was the only universities that really blew me away at the open days and got me super hyped to study the course. I've got an offer from Nottingham Trent and an invitation to an interview at Hertfordshire... But I'm kinda scared to go to the Hertfordshire interview because I'm so shy and getting through the Nottingham interview was a miracle in itself. I'm so tempted to firm Nottingham as my first choice just to get it over with with no more interviews, but something else in my mind is telling me Hertfordshire... I don't know! Plus I know somebody I get on really well with who is definitely going to Nottingham Trent for the course which would mean I would have a friend, and at Hertfordshire I would know nobody and I'm really shy. Then again, I guess everyone else will be by themselves too. Hertfordshire just looks really cool, but so does Nottingham Trent... Lol sorry for the rant I'm going on forever! I'm just a bit stressed, again thank you for the reply 😊
duckbark
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know that area very well and yeah some areas closer to london aren't nice but hatfield is pretty harmless. It's admittedly not the prettiest town in the world but from my experience it's very safe. St albans is 20 minutes away on the bus and is a gorgeous little historical town, if thats any useful info to you.
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Btsfangirl01)
Thanks for the advice and yeah that's actually a very good point... The work is the most important thing, way more important than a nice looking location. Still I loved the work at both universities fairly equally, it was the only universities that really blew me away at the open days and got me super hyped to study the course. I've got an offer from Nottingham Trent and an invitation to an interview at Hertfordshire... But I'm kinda scared to go to the Hertfordshire interview because I'm so shy and getting through the Nottingham interview was a miracle in itself. I'm so tempted to firm Nottingham as my first choice just to get it over with with no more interviews, but something else in my mind is telling me Hertfordshire... I don't know! Plus I know somebody I get on really well with who is definitely going to Nottingham Trent for the course which would mean I would have a friend, and at Hertfordshire I would know nobody and I'm really shy. Then again, I guess everyone else will be by themselves too. Hertfordshire just looks really cool, but so does Nottingham Trent... Lol sorry for the rant I'm going on forever! I'm just a bit stressed, again thank you for the reply 😊
Hi! I know Hertfordshire is a great uni with a great course, but if you have any questions about animation at NTU feel free to pm me! I'm a second year animation student there
mnnbv
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I live in a slightly nicer area of Hertfordshire near Watford.
A lot of the university of Hertfordshire students come to Watford to go clubbing and shopping etc.
The Watford Town Centre is actually quite nice with a very big shopping centre with nice shops (Superdry, Timberland, John Lewis, Apple store, etc to give you a feel) and the area surrounding it has an abundunce of restaurants and clubs. There is also a new Vue cinema that has opened in the shopping centre.
Also, from Watford Junction station (by the town centre) it is literally a 15 minute train journey into Central London (Euston station). So Hertfordshire is very well connected!- at least some parts anyway!
Just to make you aware though, I understand that Hertfordshire university is a 20minute car ride to Watford ( 1 hour on a bus!) so most students must drive or split a taxi.
I dont know much about the university itself though!
Last edited by mnnbv; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (157)
14.59%
I'm not sure (46)
4.28%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.74%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.79%
I'm not a current university student (523)
48.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise