freyamoorex
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am in the final stages of choosing my A levels and I am 90% sure that it is going to end up being Biology,Psychology and French. I am very interested in careers like neuropsychology and psychopharmacology but it is apparent that I need chemistry for many of those careers. I am able to do chemistry GCSE and get good grades but not convinced i's do very well at A level. Any advice on what to do? or any career suggestions that don't need chem?
ella.n.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Look at a few university courses online and check their requirements - you may find that some don't actually require chemistry and while it would certainly be useful you can improve your chance of getting in in loads of other ways. (I doubt that would apply to pharmacology but potentially it would for other things.) Also more psychology focused degrees wouldn't require chemistry so definitely look into those.

If you don't think you'll do well at A level chemistry I would advise you to trust your gut feeling as it is known for being very difficult amd you'll probably hate it if you don't start off really liking it. However, if it really does limit your options not taking it then maybe consider trying it as plenty of people do get through it!

Good luck with your decision!
Ninomi
Badges: 11
Report 2 years ago
Those two sectors are exactly where my interests lie, and you don’t need chemistry at A Level (I didn’t take chem, and I’m in my 2nd year at uni now). Chemistry is hard, all the sciences are at A Level. If you don’t have a passion for it and you don’t need it, then go with your gut and don’t take it.
freyamoorex
Rep:
?
That's great thankyou!

(Original post by ella.n.)Look at a few university courses online and check their requirements - you may find that some don't actually require chemistry and while it would certainly be useful you can improve your chance of getting in in loads of other ways. (I doubt that would apply to pharmacology but potentially it would for other things.) Also more psychology focused degrees wouldn't require chemistry so definitely look into those.

If you don't think you'll do well at A level chemistry I would advise you to trust your gut feeling as it is known for being very difficult amd you'll probably hate it if you don't start off really liking it. However, if it really does limit your options not taking it then maybe consider trying it as plenty of people do get through it!

Good luck with your decision!
freyamoorex
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ninomi)
Those two sectors are exactly where my interests lie, and you don’t need chemistry at A Level (I didn’t take chem, and I’m in my 2nd year at uni now). Chemistry is hard, all the sciences are at A Level. If you don’t have a passion for it and you don’t need it, then go with your gut and don’t take it.
Yeah that is what I was thinking because I genuinley love biology and am really interested in the brain and effects of drugs and I really like biochem I just am not very strong within aspects of maths and mole ratios and all of that which I have heard A level is based upon. But yeah, thankyou i shall look into more options.
ella.n.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ninomi)
What do you study, out of interest?
freyamoorex
Rep:
?
(Original post by ella.n.)
At the moment I do all of the core subjects (including triple seperate science), French, music, R.S, and drama.
Ninomi
Badges: 11
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ella.n.)
Psychology. My interest is neuroscience and psychopharmacology though, so I’m wanting a career associated with that, probably neuropsychology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (22)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (23)
17.69%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (17)
13.08%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
30%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.46%

Watched Threads