How competitive are degree apprenticeships?

Watch
SpicyMemes69
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've just applied to the EDF Nuclear Engineering apprenticeship but was wondering how competitve they are in general?
JoeMaggs
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've got interviews coming up with Morrisons for their degree apprenticeship. According to the internet, there's 85 vacancies in total, which, when compared to getting a place on a university course (depending on the course, obviously), is probably fewer, but not by a mile. I can't speak for whether it's different with engineering but given EDF are expanding (particularly with Hinkley Point C being constructed just a stone's throw from where I live!) I expect it'd be a similar size of intake. At the end of the day, you've just gotta do your research, prepare for whatever tasks and questions you'll be asked, show your enthusiasm and hope for the best!
Fatcoin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's kind of an impossible question to be honest as the company is what will make it difficult - if you apply to a high profile company where they can pick and choose out of thousands you will obviously have a harder time than an 'easier' company to get into.

The actual getting the degree spot is basically free if you can pass the company interview and make the grades as the company says here is our candidate here is the grades and I have never heard of someone getting rejected from the degree part although it's not impossible.
PixyPlz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JoeMaggs)
I've got interviews coming up with Morrisons for their degree apprenticeship. According to the internet, there's 85 vacancies in total, which, when compared to getting a place on a university course (depending on the course, obviously), is probably fewer, but not by a mile. I can't speak for whether it's different with engineering but given EDF are expanding (particularly with Hinkley Point C being constructed just a stone's throw from where I live!) I expect it'd be a similar size of intake. At the end of the day, you've just gotta do your research, prepare for whatever tasks and questions you'll be asked, show your enthusiasm and hope for the best!
Hi, did you have the telephone interview with Morrisons? If so how was it, is it going to be tough?
JoeMaggs
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PixyPlz)
Hi, did you have the telephone interview with Morrisons? If so how was it, is it going to be tough?
Hey mate, I applied for their retail degree apprenticeship and so had a video interview rather than a traditional telephone one. It consisted of a few questions which you had a minute to read and take notes on and a further minute to record your answer. All of this is done via a web client, and the interview isn’t live - the clips are simply recorded and sent off to be reviewed at a later date.

In my opinion it was easier than a typical telephone interview, since you had a whole minute to think about your reply and there wasn’t the pressure of knowing someone was listening to you there and then. The questions themselves were orientated around possible scenarios you might encounter as a manager and ask how you would react. There was also one that asked why you wanted to work for Morrisons. They were all fairly simple and it didn’t take too long either.
Advertisement
Bigboy73
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've applied for the same apprenticeship with edf as you, feel like it will be quite competitive as it offers alot however they are expanding as a company so I can imagine there is afew places. Having done the SHL testing I'm less hopeful now😂
everything73
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bigboy73)
I've applied for the same apprenticeship with edf as you, feel like it will be quite competitive as it offers alot however they are expanding as a company so I can imagine there is afew places. Having done the SHL testing I'm less hopeful now😂
I know this was 2 years ago but how was the SHL testing and what subjects was it based on ?
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (646)
48.46%
No (687)
51.54%

Watched Threads