Chinski
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone! I'm a grad student from Argentina looking to study translation (literary translation, specifically) in the UK. My top choices as of right now are:
- Birmingham University (MA in Literary Translation)
- East Anglia (same)
- Warwick (MA in Literary translation studies)
- Essex (MA in Translation and Literature)
- University of Edinburgh

Has anyone applied/studied at/been to any of these universities? I think these are the programs available for literary translation in particular. My working language pair is English <> Spanish, but I'm hoping to expand to French in the coming years as well. I intend to specialize in poetry translation.
Any and every piece of advice on the application process, lifestyle, the level of the program(s), getting an offer, general recommendations, etc. would be extremely helpful. As I am not from the UK, I've not been able to predict at all whether I'd have the chance of getting in.
Current grad school average is in between a 1:1 and a 1:2 (8,8/10 in Argentina).
I'm planning on applying between March and April for the 2019 cohort, is that too late?
Chinski
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone! I'm a grad student from Argentina looking to study translation (literary translation, specifically) in the UK. My top choices as of right now are:
- East Anglia (same)

Has anyone applied/studied at/been to any of these universities? I think these are the programs available for literary translation in particular. My working language pair is English <> Spanish, but I'm hoping to expand to French in the coming years as well. I intend to specialize in poetry translation.
Any and every piece of advice on the application process, lifestyle, the level of the program(s), getting an offer, general recommendations, etc. would be extremely helpful. As I am not from the UK, I've not been able to predict at all whether I'd have the chance of getting in.
Current grad school average is in between a 1:1 and a 1:2 (8,8/10 in Argentina).
I'm planning on applying between March and April for the 2019 cohort, is that too late?
FionaMG
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chinski)
- East Anglia (same)

Hi.
As far as Essex is concerned I can tell you that my daughter is currently in her final year of Modern Languages there and she has been extremely satisfied with the course. She is taking both Spanish and French at final honours level and intends to stay on to do a Masters in Translation next year, although she is aiming for the Translation and Professional Practice one.
Essex has an extremely large percentage of non-UK students. My daughter has had students from Italy, Brazil and Eastern Europe in her classes.
I don't believe March to April will be too late to apply.
As an applicant from a country where English is not the first language, you will need to have some kind of English language qualification, so if you don't have that yet, it would be worth arranging this asap.
Good luck.
Fiona.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chinski)
- East Anglia (same)

No one can predict if you will get in. You need to check the entry requirements for your country and not try and convert your grades. All info about how to apply and what will be covered by the courses will be online.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.04%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.35%
I need help with my personal statement (86)
41.55%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
25.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.73%

Watched Threads