The Student Room Group

Depression, lack of control and academic disappointment

I am in my final year of a levels.I do biology, chemistry and maths.I am predicted ADD (A in biology).I have found that this half term has passed very quickly and I barely did any work and I know this is my fault.I sleep 11 hours everyday without fail I get up at 10-11.I find that a lot of my day is wasted cleaning as I can't stand mess as it makes me physically uncomfortable.A lot of time I also spent cooking.I can't seem to organise my time properly.I find that what I do is dictated by how I feel.Thus I find timetables and lists don't really work for me.

I don't have much stability in my life either.I am currently taking antidepressants and seeing a psychiatrist before anyone suggests seeing my GP.I did well in my GCSE's I received majority A*'s.I find it incredibly hard to believe how I ended up where I am.I was diagnosed with depression last September.I also recently was diagnosed with high functioning autism.

How can I get control of my life again?I had 14 CBT sessions but I didn't find it really helped me.I dream of achieving ABB how can I get into the right mindset and motivation to get there?I know that the only thing that can help me is hard work but I can't seem to be in the work and do just do it.
I do Maths Physics and Design, I'm in Y13, suffering with depression (diagnosed in October) and I'm also at a loose end. So I hear you mate :smile:

What do you want to do in later life, like career-wise?
Reply 2
Original post by Ecdysiastt
I do Maths Physics and Design, I'm in Y13, suffering with depression (diagnosed in October) and I'm also at a loose end. So I hear you mate :smile:

What do you want to do in later life, like career-wise?

I always wanted to become a doctor but at this rate this is not happening.How about you?
Original post by Anonymous
I always wanted to become a doctor but at this rate this is not happening.How about you?

I've applied for Aerospace Engineering, wanted to do it for a few years so its nice to know that it's close to being real now.

You say you've always wanted to be a doctor. Now, this works for me but everyone is different, think about how cool your life would be as a doctor, you'd be doing your dream job! That alone is usually motivation enough for me to get out of bed in a morning. Your grades are obviously suffering but you're predicted highly, so I wonder if something more could be done with your teachers to boost your grades a bit more.
Do you feel like you understand your subjects but you're just struggling mentally recently or do you not understand your subjects?
Original post by Anonymous
I am in my final year of a levels.I do biology, chemistry and maths.I am predicted ADD (A in biology).I have found that this half term has passed very quickly and I barely did any work and I know this is my fault.I sleep 11 hours everyday without fail I get up at 10-11.I find that a lot of my day is wasted cleaning as I can't stand mess as it makes me physically uncomfortable.A lot of time I also spent cooking.I can't seem to organise my time properly.I find that what I do is dictated by how I feel.Thus I find timetables and lists don't really work for me.

I don't have much stability in my life either.I am currently taking antidepressants and seeing a psychiatrist before anyone suggests seeing my GP.I did well in my GCSE's I received majority A*'s.I find it incredibly hard to believe how I ended up where I am.I was diagnosed with depression last September.I also recently was diagnosed with high functioning autism.

How can I get control of my life again?I had 14 CBT sessions but I didn't find it really helped me.I dream of achieving ABB how can I get into the right mindset and motivation to get there?I know that the only thing that can help me is hard work but I can't seem to be in the work and do just do it.

Bless you!!! I wish I could just come and hug you:smile:
I've been there, I had/have anxiety! But just keep at it! Grades are not everything, obviously try and work hard but don't let you it have a negative effect on your health, your health is so so important!

I got rejected from my 5 universities and i really lost motivation but my teachers really supported me and helped me to keep at it! (Here I am today, beginning the course of my dreams!)

As for time and organisation, I had a to do list on my phone and like little reminders. Just starting with like 1 task like getting through a past paper for the day, and then when I completed that task in the day i felt so happy so would then slowly add a few more things for the next days to do list.
I couldn't and still cannot stand mess!!! I try and keep everything clean beforehand so like before going to bed and in the morning And afternoon when I need something I make sure I put things back where I got them from that way i know i wont have to waste more time cleaning up all the mess later , so it's easier to clean things up as you go along rather than have a whole lot of stuff piled up for later!

Do you have a school counsellor whom you can speak to in regards to your depression and how it results in you lacking motivation?
Or speak to a trustworthy teacher, they will be able to help you! The worst thing to do is not tell anyone because then it can end up affecting your achievement.

You got this, you can do it! Noone else is going to do it for you, it's only you, your health is in your hands, you get the help you need, it's all out there you just have to take the first step and ask for it!

Thankfully for me, after speaking to a trustworthy teacher she referred me to the school counsellor and encouraged me to go! That was during March time, after I had been rejected, my biggest regret was not going to the counsellor and asking for help earlier:smile:

So don't make the mistake I did and leave it last minute, speak to someone at school. They'll guide you in the right direction:smile:

I wish you all the very best:smile:
If you want to chat more, my pm is always open!

Also, I did Chemistry Alevel too, wasn't my best subject, I have to say:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ecdysiastt
I've applied for Aerospace Engineering, wanted to do it for a few years so its nice to know that it's close to being real now.

You say you've always wanted to be a doctor. Now, this works for me but everyone is different, think about how cool your life would be as a doctor, you'd be doing your dream job! That alone is usually motivation enough for me to get out of bed in a morning. Your grades are obviously suffering but you're predicted highly, so I wonder if something more could be done with your teachers to boost your grades a bit more.
Do you feel like you understand your subjects but you're just struggling mentally recently or do you not understand your subjects?

I have been struggling mentally especially getting through UCAS (I felt forced into doing UCAS to be honest) now they aren't sure whether to send my application at all as all my universities are ABB and my predicted grades are ADD.My head of sixth form knows about my struggles as she had a meeting with my therapist and transition worker and my behaviour analyst.I find A2 maths incredibly hard and I am strugglin with the foundations and I am finding it hard to get through it on my own.I spoke to my maths teacher but she isn't too interested in helping me as there are 20 other people in the class and I am not the only person who she teaches.She has a lot of favourtism IMO and only gives attention to her brightest pupils who applied to Oxbridge.Chemistry at A2 is hard but I am trying to get through it.I have recently started chemistry tutoring hopefully it will help in the long term.

Despite the fact that being a doctor is my dream I don't find this that motivational because I don't see myself getting the grades.I don't really think it is possible maybe graduate entry medicine but that seems so far and if I get into a biological sciences degree then it would be a miracle.
Reply 6
Original post by Alisha999
Bless you!!! I wish I could just come and hug you:smile:
I've been there, I had/have anxiety! But just keep at it! Grades are not everything, obviously try and work hard but don't let you it have a negative effect on your health, your health is so so important!

I got rejected from my 5 universities and i really lost motivation but my teachers really supported me and helped me to keep at it! (Here I am today, beginning the course of my dreams!)

As for time and organisation, I had a to do list on my phone and like little reminders. Just starting with like 1 task like getting through a past paper for the day, and then when I completed that task in the day i felt so happy so would then slowly add a few more things for the next days to do list.
I couldn't and still cannot stand mess!!! I try and keep everything clean beforehand so like before going to bed and in the morning And afternoon when I need something I make sure I put things back where I got them from that way i know i wont have to waste more time cleaning up all the mess later , so it's easier to clean things up as you go along rather than have a whole lot of stuff piled up for later!

Do you have a school counsellor whom you can speak to in regards to your depression and how it results in you lacking motivation?
Or speak to a trustworthy teacher, they will be able to help you! The worst thing to do is not tell anyone because then it can end up affecting your achievement.

You got this, you can do it! Noone else is going to do it for you, it's only you, your health is in your hands, you get the help you need, it's all out there you just have to take the first step and ask for it!

Thankfully for me, after speaking to a trustworthy teacher she referred me to the school counsellor and encouraged me to go! That was during March time, after I had been rejected, my biggest regret was not going to the counsellor and asking for help earlier:smile:

So don't make the mistake I did and leave it last minute, speak to someone at school. They'll guide you in the right direction:smile:

I wish you all the very best:smile:
If you want to chat more, my pm is always open!

Also, I did Chemistry Alevel too, wasn't my best subject, I have to say:smile:

I try to clean the night before but with 3 pets it is a lot fo cleaning as I am the only one who actually cleans after them.My school is aware of my problems but they don't really know how to help me and they haven't really offered any help they listened but that was about it.We don't have pastoral care at my school let alone a school therapist.
I can really relate to this. I'm in year13 studying Maths, Physics and Economics A-levels predicted A*AA which sounds pretty good but i'm applying to quite a few competitive univeristies and also a retake student so there are a few odds against me. I've struggled with mental health for a few years now but have suffered in silence mostly and haven't been brave enough to speak to anyone about it. This holiday I thought it'd be a great chance for me to finally get back on track but my days have started at earliest 11am and all i do is clean and sleep pretty much to stop myself overthinking. I've also been too afraid to leave the house. The only thing that's kept me going is telling myself that i don't want my actions now to have a horrible knock on effect later on. So i know if i dont study, my mock grades won't be great and during my very intense class revision lessons i'll just look like a complete anxious idiot. So i try to minimise the possibility of those things happening by doing things differently now. Hope that helps and good luck with everything
Reply 8
Original post by AOA_
I can really relate to this. I'm in year13 studying Maths, Physics and Economics A-levels predicted A*AA which sounds pretty good but i'm applying to quite a few competitive univeristies and also a retake student so there are a few odds against me. I've struggled with mental health for a few years now but have suffered in silence mostly and haven't been brave enough to speak to anyone about it. This holiday I thought it'd be a great chance for me to finally get back on track but my days have started at earliest 11am and all i do is clean and sleep pretty much to stop myself overthinking. I've also been too afraid to leave the house. The only thing that's kept me going is telling myself that i don't want my actions now to have a horrible knock on effect later on. So i know if i dont study, my mock grades won't be great and during my very intense class revision lessons i'll just look like a complete anxious idiot. So i try to minimise the possibility of those things happening by doing things differently now. Hope that helps and good luck with everything

For me the consequences of my actions don't seem to really have much impact.
It sounds dumb AF, but do you exercise? I'm not 17/18, but I suffer from anxiety and depression and, although I can never be bothered with it, forcing myself of the house to go swimming and to the gym makes me feel better.

I can't offer any advice on time management, because the only thing that works for me is smashing the work out as soon as I get it and then I just do nothing for the rest of my time.

Quick Reply

Latest