The Student Room Group

Which Cambridge College for Law?

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by lara-student
Hey,

So i want to apply to study Law at cambridge but Im not sure which one to apply for.

These options and slightly based on gender equality, state school exceptance and disadvantaged/ ethnicity acceptance

Ive read about the pros and cons for each and have narrowed it down to:
(in no particular order)

Downing College
Emmanuel College
Homerton College
Jesus College
St Catherines College

as a Law applicant I expect you will be able to define 'gender equality' properly?
Go to the open day and look around, if possible. Then you can get a feel for them.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
as a Law applicant I expect you will be able to define 'gender equality' properly?

sorry I should have been clearer.

I meant male to female acceptance ratio
Original post by auolique
Go to the open day and look around, if possible. Then you can get a feel for them.

Thank you :smile:
They will all be the same, education-wise, and you’ll get a great law degree at any of them. Research size, modernity, facilities etc to see which one best suits your preferences. Also visiting them is helpful to see which one feels best for you.

well, Catz is probs the closest to the Sidgwick site but i think Emmanuel is pretty close. I reckon that'd make both more competitive for Law so harder to get in? Emmanuel has a very academic reputation though
As you said, each College has its pros and cons. I was at Cambridge for 4 years (undergrad Law, then the LLM) and have been helping students apply for Law for quite a while. I thought I would highlight some points about each, including some that are specific to Law.

Downing College

Very good reputation for law, with an active Law Society as well. It often organises career events, and even trips to law firms in London.

Emmanuel College

This is known as 'the friendly College'. It has Prof Lionel Bently, who is one of the top academics for Intellectual Property.

Homerton College

Bear in mind that Homerton is quite far away (though not quite as far as Girton!). It's near the train station, which might be nice if you plan to go to London/out of Cambridge a lot. Homerton doesn't have a very academic reputation; that said, however, I know a number of people from Homerton who have done very well and achieved First Class in Law.

Jesus College

Dr Findlay Stark is at Jesus College. He does Criminal Law and is a very interesting, engaging person. I was supervised by him and really enjoyed our supervisions.

St Catherine's College

Prof Mark Elliott (the author of publiclawforeveryone.com) is there! He is an expert in both Constitutional Law (compulsory) and Administrative Law, and seen as a leader in his field. I was supervised by him and he is very knowledgeable.

Aside from Homerton, they are all situated quite nicely to the Law Faculty and the city centre. If you get a bike (which most students do), differences in distance aren't too noticeable.
Original post by gracewb_93
They will all be the same, education-wise, and you’ll get a great law degree at any of them. Research size, modernity, facilities etc to see which one best suits your preferences. Also visiting them is helpful to see which one feels best for you.

Yes!

Visit them if you can - each College has a different 'feel'. Emmanuel and St Catherine's, for example, are quite modern.
Reply 9
These options and slightly based on gender equality, state school exceptance and disadvantaged/ ethnicity acceptance

You'll get the raw stats here:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/ug_admissions_statistics_2017_cycle_4.pdf

But it's really not a good way to choose a college because it varies every year. Visit the colleges and see which one "feels" best for you, in the knowledge that about 20% of offers come from a different college anyway.

By the way, I'm moving this to the University of Cambridge forum :smile:
Reply 10
Downing has amazing accommodation and is very central

Emmanuel is near Nandos

Homerton is far and the cycle there actually scares the life out of me I can never figure out which part of the road im meant to be on

Jesus College- very good accommodation (almost all ensuite), near the clubs, second closest to mainsburys apart from sidney, very big and no tourists, generally very fun friendly and chill- not too much pressure but still academic

St Catherines College- small and touristy, but super central

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending