The Student Room Group

Animation or Architecture

Since I was about 14, I've wanted to be an animator (more specifically, a Disney animator). The notion, however, has slightly disappeared over the years with more academic subjects taking the spotlight (law, biology etc.).

I have applied for BA (Hons)/BArch in Architecture; however I'm not sure this is what I want to do; I've been unable to secure any placements and honestly, I only applied because I was struggling to find something I wanted to do and the pastoral team was breathing down my neck.

I love creating stories and drawing but I'm worried that if I swap courses, I won't find a job in animation because it's a difficult field to succeed in. If I went into architecture, I would be looking at completing 7+ years of study, and I would want to go into the film industry with it (i.e conceptual).

Also, can you make another UCAS or have I scuffed my chances this year?
Original post by Ellxe259
Since I was about 14, I've wanted to be an animator (more specifically, a Disney animator). The notion, however, has slightly disappeared over the years with more academic subjects taking the spotlight (law, biology etc.).

I have applied for BA (Hons)/BArch in Architecture; however I'm not sure this is what I want to do; I've been unable to secure any placements and honestly, I only applied because I was struggling to find something I wanted to do and the pastoral team was breathing down my neck.

I love creating stories and drawing but I'm worried that if I swap courses, I won't find a job in animation because it's a difficult field to succeed in. If I went into architecture, I would be looking at completing 7+ years of study, and I would want to go into the film industry with it (i.e conceptual).

Also, can you make another UCAS or have I scuffed my chances this year?

Are you studying A levels at the moment?

If so then I would strongly recommend looking into taking an art foundation diploma (either at a local university or college) as a stepping stone to university. It will give you a year to study art full time before you commit to a specific degree. And you can use the year to help work out what pathway is for you. Some people realise that a full time creative course isn’t right for them and switch to something more theoretical, while many carry on to a degree in a creative subject they didn’t know existed at A level.

Depending where you applied for architecture it might be possible to switch to animation now if they offer it. Or to decline your offers and apply through extra in February - but your choices will be more limited than if you took a year and applied again while doing a FAD.

There’s a sticky thread at the top of the art and design university courses forum about FAD courses that might help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending