History course with no A-Level? Watch

extra32145
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I am thinking about going to university to study history, however I have neither an A-Level or a GCSE in the subject. I have always had a passion for history, it has been a major hobby of mine for years. My question is, will unis consider my application with no history qualification? Also, would I struggle with a History degree having not formally studied it before?
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
History A-level is usually listed as a required subject on the entry requirements page. Only exceptions I found were Oxford and Cambridge - for some colleges.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by extra32145)
So I am thinking about going to university to study history, however I have neither an A-Level or a GCSE in the subject. I have always had a passion for history, it has been a major hobby of mine for years. My question is, will unis consider my application with no history qualification? Also, would I struggle with a History degree having not formally studied it before?
Are you a mature student?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
extra32145
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)Are you a mature student?
No, applying straight from year 13.
That'sGreat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You have a real passion for history yet chose not to study it for GCSE or A level. Right.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)Are you a mature student?
No, applying straight from year 13.
In that case you have very little chance of getting into a good uni for single honours History, I'm afraid.

Which A-levels are you studying? Have you applied already? If so, for what?
Liverpool Hope University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi extra32145

I studied History at both undergraduate and postgraduate level at Liverpool Hope University. In term of Entry Requirements for history, you may not need to have studied history at either GCSE or A Level, depending on the university you wish to study at. Liverpool Hope University is currently 31st in the Good University Guide 2019 for history. Most university lecturers are not just respected academics in their fields but great educators who will teach you the core skills of history if you work hard.

It is important that you have a good standard of English as history requires many hours of reading and writing essays. I've posted links to Liverpool Hope's university history course if you are interested and to the good university guide.

I hope this is useful for you and I hope that you are still considering joining the wonderful world of history.

Dominic :thumbsup:
harrysbar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can do History with Ancient History at lots of Unis without History A level. My son does that and doesn't struggle not having History A level (although he does have History GCSE).
mackers_ire
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I studied at Queens University of Belfast, and am now doing a History MA at Leeds, all without history A-Levels. Although a mature student, many other students on my history modules had no History A-level. If you are concerned you can always apply to a joint history degree as I have done, which still allows you a wide range of history module choices.in some unis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (37)
11.31%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.67%
No, but I want to start (116)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (73)
22.32%
No, I chose not to (89)
27.22%