The Student Room Group

Teeth- Retainers

This probably isn't the right website to use but...i'm out of options

So, i've had my braces off for a year now, kept my retainers on. On my last ever appointment i asked him how many times i should put them on he said it's a personal choice but one time a week will do? So the christmas holidays came up and i completely lost the normal routine. I haven't put my retainers on for a whole week and a bit, i had recently noticed that one of teeth have moved a bit (the one that was the worst when i had braces) so i got scared and put my retainers on straight away and...it flippin hurts!!!! it hurts so much that i thought i had to take my retainers off, me being me i tried to take them off, yeah they don't come off...well they do but i need to stand for a straight 1min trying to pull them out! I'm only keeping them in overnight cause i think the retainers will move the tooth back to the postion is was in...good idea or?

It hurts so much! i don't know if my tooth is moving or i'm damaging my teeth?

I need opinions! anything.
Original post by Anonymous
This probably isn't the right website to use but...i'm out of options

So, i've had my braces off for a year now, kept my retainers on. On my last ever appointment i asked him how many times i should put them on he said it's a personal choice but one time a week will do? So the christmas holidays came up and i completely lost the normal routine. I haven't put my retainers on for a whole week and a bit, i had recently noticed that one of teeth have moved a bit (the one that was the worst when i had braces) so i got scared and put my retainers on straight away and...it flippin hurts!!!! it hurts so much that i thought i had to take my retainers off, me being me i tried to take them off, yeah they don't come off...well they do but i need to stand for a straight 1min trying to pull them out! I'm only keeping them in overnight cause i think the retainers will move the tooth back to the postion is was in...good idea or?

It hurts so much! i don't know if my tooth is moving or i'm damaging my teeth?

I need opinions! anything.

I had a similar problem when I first got my retainers but its okay, your teeth have just moved a bit so your retainer will probably hurt for a little while as they correct it again.
when I first got my retainer it hurt putting it in and I thought I was ripping my teeth out when I took the retainer out! it took ages but I think your teeth just need to get used to the retainer again and then the paim should go away. Hope this is a little help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest