first car/motorcycle

Watch
GTRa8
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
any good idea about what to buy for your first car?

second hand or brand new?

and how to lower the insurance price if possible, as it is going to be my first year

and i want a motorcycle as well, should i wait til im 20 or later?

thanks in advanced
Arrius
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, it depends on your budget and your driving experience imho. If you are not an experienced or skilled driver, I think you should go for a second-hand car for your first car. If you have a big budget, you can go for a brand new car with a lot of automation that can help you with your driving.

As for the insurance, a GPS tracker might help you lower the price of your insurance. Insurance companies are known to lower their premiums for cars with a tracker onboard. Hope that helps.
Aaron702
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get a second hand car for your first, keep it for a year or two, then upgrade. Expect to pay between £1500-£2500 for your first year's insurance. Don't bother waiting, just start driving and rack up NCB. Avoid a black box if you can, but if it's absolutely out of your price range get one and suffer it for a year. Get rid of it when you hit 1 year NCB.

No idea about motorcycle insurance, never had one.
GTRa8
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aaron702)
Get a second hand car for your first, keep it for a year or two, then upgrade. Expect to pay between £1500-£2500 for your first year's insurance. Don't bother waiting, just start driving and rack up NCB. Avoid a black box if you can, but if it's absolutely out of your price range get one and suffer it for a year. Get rid of it when you hit 1 year NCB.

No idea about motorcycle insurance, never had one.
thanks for your advice, but why should i avoid a black box? i thought it really helps with your insurance price.
Aaron702
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GTRa8)
thanks for your advice, but why should i avoid a black box? i thought it really helps with your insurance price.
It will make it significantly cheaper, but they are often extremely strict or come with curfews or mileage limitations that will cost you in the long run. Unless you drive like a granny you'll often get threatened with cancellation, which will increase your premiums massively for the next few years.
GTRa8
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aaron702)
It will make it significantly cheaper, but they are often extremely strict or come with curfews or mileage limitations that will cost you in the long run. Unless you drive like a granny you'll often get threatened with cancellation, which will increase your premiums massively for the next few years.
i see, thank you so much. and any particular brand or model you will recommend?
Last edited by GTRa8; 1 year ago
Aaron702
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GTRa8)
i see, thank you so much. and any particular brand or model you will recommend?
If you mean car it depends. Anything cheap with a small engine is suitable. I had a 2012 Hyundai i10 which was reliable, fun to drive and spacious. Other common 1st cars include the Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa, Fiat Punto, Fiat 500, Vauxhall Adam, Ford Focus, Ford Ka, Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo, SEAT Ibiza, VW Polo/Golf or a Kia Picanto.
Last edited by Aaron702; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed