The Slade Applications 2019 Watch

ffimadlen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Starting a thread to chat about applying this year for The Slade School of Fine Art, UCL.

I’m doing a Foundation year right now in my hometown, and I’m planning to apply to The Slade (and other places), as I want to study Fine Art - with a specific interest in painting.
I went to an open day and it was the best place I’ve ever been; I can only describe it as the Hogwarts of painting, so now I’m determined to give getting in a go but I’m slightly terrified because I’ve been trying to find info on other applicants on here but everyone seems to have already sent an application.
The deadline is Jan 15th, and my tutor told me not to send my application too soon because we were doing work for our portfolios, but now I’m really concerned that I’ll be too late despite planning to send it on the 10th of Jan 😭 HELP!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It’s not too late at all. Don’t worry. Because of the high grade requirements for UCL a lot of people applying there also apply to Ruskin at Oxford which has the earlier deadline in October.

Your tutor is right to recommend waiting - most people will be applying after Christmas.
ffimadlen
Rep:
?
Thank you, that’s reassuring!
ppphas
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi. I’m applying, and just sent UCAS apps last week! It’s not too late at all, and they won’t judge you because of that.
Btw May I ask you question of how the studio looked like when you went to the open day?? I’ve visited too but did not get the chance to see

Is the studio spaces. I wonder it’s quite big comparing to other art unis in London...???
ffimadlen
Rep:
?
Hello! I’ve sent my UCAS and I’m taking my portfolio on the 28th, I’m excited but nervous. I’ve also applied to Camberwell, Chelsea and Kingston and out of those I’ve seen the Camberwell and Kingston Studios. In comparison The Slade is superior in my opinion although Camberwell studios are very nice too. The Slade has nice high ceilings in most of the studios, which mean it feels spacious, and there are lots of studios so everyone gets a good space (including first years). I walked round the place with my mouth hanging open I was so impressed 😂 Additionally there’s plenty of light in the Slade studios, which is always a great thing.
ppphas
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ffimadlen)
Hello! I’ve sent my UCAS and I’m taking my portfolio on the 28th, I’m excited but nervous. I’ve also applied to Camberwell, Chelsea and Kingston and out of those I’ve seen the Camberwell and Kingston Studios. In comparison The Slade is superior in my opinion although Camberwell studios are very nice too. The Slade has nice high ceilings in most of the studios, which mean it feels spacious, and there are lots of studios so everyone gets a good space (including first years). I walked round the place with my mouth hanging open I was so impressed 😂 Additionally there’s plenty of light in the Slade studios, which is always a great thing.
Thank you for your replies! Sounds very nice, as I am currently doing a foundation year in UAL, and found the space very squeezing.( I know spaces given to foundation students are much smaller than BA, so don’t be bothered too much about my info. )

I booked for 1st of February, so I have more time to prepare....!! I’m mostly “nervous” as I don’t have so many “fine artistic” works although I still love to study Fine art...!!! But I can just try..! Challenging is always goood I guess???
ffimadlen
Rep:
?
I’m curious, what kind of art do you produce if not so much fine art? More illustrative work, or something else? Good luck anyway, let me know how you get on!
ppphas
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yea exactly, mine is more illustrative (e.g. original city drawn on huge paper/original characters and animations). But the foundation course I’m in now, is quite helping to create something new, so I am planning to show how I have developed and explored dramatically in one year,,,,, so hope they see potentials on me
m01158118
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That’s great. I’m also on foundation. In terms of media, do you guys work in various media?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ffimadlen
Rep:
?
I’m predominantly a painter and I like to use Oils and Acrylics, but I like ceramics, textiles and illustration too
m01158118
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m also primarily working with oil painting. Does it matter which media we mainly use and shown in the portfolio?
ffimadlen
Rep:
?
I’d assume they probably want a bit of other stuff too, but they’re likely not going to mind if you have a preferred medium that makes up the body of your work - at least I hope 😂
ppphas
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Metal etching/collages/illustration with pens or charcoals/oil/acrylic/water colors/clay works(sculptures)/mixed media/animations/photographies/deigital drawings....etc.... I pretty much work on everything....I love being messy to mix those...
NePb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Should I be expecting an instructional email from Slade at some point? International student, also sent my UCAS application on the 10th, but there has been no contact from them(while ECA sent me a confirmation email immediately). I've no idea how to access their Slideroom service and my UCAS ID "is not valid for selected academic year" when I tried to pay for the portfolio handling fee.
ffimadlen
Rep:
?
Yes, I had an email with instructions about how to set up a UCL account for application info, an email with instructions about taking my portfolio and then further emails after booking my slot and paying. Probably takes longer as your international, but I sent mine on the 7th and on the 10th they’d got back to me.
When you do (eventually) pay you need to use your UCAS ID number from UCAS Track, which is different to the one on emails.
Additionally, if they send you the email telling you to set up a UCL account the password setting system is notoriously hard but I rang them and they said it has to be exactly 8 characters long and you need to use password generator.net and keep trying them until one works.
meeb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I was just wondering what everyone else's website pages looked like after booking your slots for the portfolio inspection? Mine took me to a blank page and I'm worried that might have meant the booking didn't go through...
ffimadlen
Rep:
?
If it went through you should have a confirmation email.
meeb
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Okay, thank you. I haven't- or haven't yet- so I'll assume it didn't go through.
wretchedslummy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I asked this question on the open day and had a student answer it:
it doesn’t matter about variation in media or even the completeness, what matters is if the work is recent and if you feel like it’s a good representation of what you are about.

(Original post by m01158118)I’m also primarily working with oil painting. Does it matter which media we mainly use and shown in the portfolio?
m01158118
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you so much! That’s a very good answer. Have a friend who works in other media and doesn’t paint. Both of us were worried before😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (119)
17.66%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (71)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.66%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (100)
14.84%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (65)
9.64%
How can I be the best version of myself? (200)
29.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed