Changing degree after firming and insuring Watch

filearns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi there,

before applying to university i wasn't sure whether i wanted to apply for a law degree or a biomed degree, but considering i had work experience for biomed i figured i should apply for that, despite always having a passion for law. Now i have my firm and insurance place for biomed at Lancaster and Lincoln and i was wondering if it is too late for me to switch? Whilst i still love biomedicine and i find it so fascinating, i have a gut feeling that i made the wrong choice.
Ecdysiastt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It's definitely too late for you to do it through UCAS.

I think your best bit if you're definitely set on law, is to contact Lancaster and Lincoln and tell them you'd like to withdraw your application (unless you can do this on Track) and then wait until clearing starts.

Double check on the UCAS FAQ because it's probably on there, as I'm not entirely sure, but I think that's what you need to do now
ibtihaalfarah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by filearns)
Hi there,

before applying to university i wasn't sure whether i wanted to apply for a law degree or a biomed degree, but considering i had work experience for biomed i figured i should apply for that, despite always having a passion for law. Now i have my firm and insurance place for biomed at Lancaster and Lincoln and i was wondering if it is too late for me to switch? Whilst i still love biomedicine and i find it so fascinating, i have a gut feeling that i made the wrong choice.
I was in a similar position last year. Just wait until results day, call up your firm (or insurance) and tell them you want to change your course.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by filearns)
Hi there,

Because you have chosen a firm and insurance your options are limited. This is why we always recommend waiting to pick a firm on Track until April at the earliest.

You need to contact your firm and insurance (and the universities that you declined) to ask them whether they would amend your offer to law.

If any of them are willing to do that and they’re universities that you would want as your firm for law you then need to negotiate to get your firm and insurance swapped to those universities (assuming that lancaster or Lincoln aren’t willing to swap your application or you aren’t interested in them for law).

Do NOT wait until August. The sooner you start the process the more likely you are to find the right course for you.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
[QUOTE=PQ;81251422]
You need to contact your firm and insurance (and the universities that you declined) to ask them whether they would amend your offer to law.

As above...it's possible that Lancaster or Lincoln might change your offer to Law IF you meet the A level entry requirements for Law. But if you are not predicted the highest grades at A level, think carefully about switching to Law because it's very hard to get a Training Contract without A/B grades at A level (or equivalent).
Ecdysiastt
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You definitely need to do something ASAP, because if you wait till results day then they might not be able to switch your course. If you talk to them now, then they might still have room on the law courses
Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Ecdysiastt)
It's definitely too late for you to do it through UCAS.

I think your best bit if you're definitely set on law, is to contact Lancaster and Lincoln and tell them you'd like to withdraw your application (unless you can do this on Track) and then wait until clearing starts.

Double check on the UCAS FAQ because it's probably on there, as I'm not entirely sure, but I think that's what you need to do now
Hi Ecdysiastt,
I'm a second year biological sciences with biomed student at Lancaster!
I would get in touch with Lancaster straight away as oppose to waiting until results day as there isn't a guarantee you can switch.
It would probably be best to contact admissions: [email protected]
Hope this helps and let me know if you have anymore questions!
Charlotte
Ecdysiastt
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hi Ecdysiastt,
I'm a second year biological sciences with biomed student at Lancaster!
I would get in touch with Lancaster straight away as oppose to waiting until results day as there isn't a guarantee you can switch.
It would probably be best to contact admissions: [email protected]
Hope this helps and let me know if you have anymore questions!
Charlotte
Don't you mean @filearns
Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Ecdysiastt)
Don't you mean @filearns
Oh yes thank you!
filearns, I meant to tag you in the post above
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

What are your favourite crisps?