Flower2617
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I start sixthform in September of 2019, so still quite a few months to go, but I was wondering is popularity amongst students still such a prominent feature in sixthform as it was in the 5 years before that? People have told me that in sixthform everyone is just friends and no ones really “popular” anymore, but I was just wondering as I hate the social hierarchy in school😂 what’s all of your experience when it comes to this. Also, at sixthform do many people just come as friendship circles and not merge with other people? Or do people in general in sixthform just talk to everyone?
Sorry I’m just nervous for when I start😂😂
Harold Saxon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To an extent the social hierarchy falls apart with sixth form, people spend less time together in class and often don't share the same classes - therefore bonds between friends break and not everybody is even aware of eachothers existence. Honestly, just try to make as many new friends as possible, and don't be dragged down by previous social problems at your other school - aka you don't have to associate with people who you feel are holding you back from being happy.
username4405462
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nobody cares.

In lower school, the cliques were really prominent. You wouldn't dare try to make friends with anybody outside your circle.

In Sixth Form, now we're all in the common room at break, dinner, and in frees, and since pretty much every class has a group chat, you talk to people you normally wouldn't have, social barriers break down more, and groups tend to merge into larger, more diverse ones. It's a more enjoyable experience but it's also a double-edged sword if big groups aren't your thing.
Flower2617
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Harold Saxon)
To an extent the social hierarchy falls apart with sixth form, people spend less time together in class and often don't share the same classes - therefore bonds between friends break and not everybody is even aware of eachothers existence. Honestly, just try to make as many new friends as possible, and don't be dragged down by previous social problems at your other school - aka you don't have to associate with people who you feel are holding you back from being happy.
Thanks for this information . However i’m Not joining a different school, I’m just joining the sixthform leading from my current school. I was just worried that if people and their cliques/circles from year 11 stay on as well that it could potentially be quite hard to make new friends if you get me.
Harold Saxon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Flower2617)
Thanks for this information . However i’m Not joining a different school, I’m just joining the sixthform leading from my current school. I was just worried that if people and their cliques/circles from year 11 stay on as well that it could potentially be quite hard to make new friends if you get me.
I suppose the same applies, since you'll mostly be with the same people however it'll be difficult to meet anybody new I suppose.
username4405462
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to the sixth form at my current school. People stay in the circles for a bit but eventually it'll break down. Since classes are smaller and everyone is more mature you end up being friendlier with people you normally wouldn't have spoken to
CraigBackner
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I start sixthform in September of 2019, so still quite a few months to go, but I was wondering is popularity amongst students still such a prominent feature in sixthform as it was in the 5 years before that? People have told me that in sixthform everyone is just friends and no ones really “popular” anymore, but I was just wondering as I hate the social hierarchy in school😂 what’s all of your experience when it comes to this. Also, at sixthform do many people just come as friendship circles and not merge with other people? Or do people in general in sixthform just talk to everyone?
depends how big ur sixthform is, if its quite small then the popularity of others can be quite evident. but u shouln't worry about whos popular or how to be popular, but rather find a good group of friends.
alevels2020
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m in sixth form now and I wasn’t that popular in high school; like I had friends who were popular and most people liked me (apart from chavs but you know can’t please everyone). In my sixth-form, there’s no popularity thing. like obviously the popular people who went my high school hang out together but only I know they were the popular ones. Also theres no like specific areas were popular and non popular people sit like there was in high school. But honestly, I think it’s a lot better than high school and I’m defo happier because I’ve got new friends who aren’t toxic. Find a good group of mates and you’ll be fine.
AnharM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my experience, the "bad boys" of secondary school are finally gone. Depending on what A-Levels you pick, the "bad boys" won't succeed in getting the grades needed to sit A-Level Maths or Chemistry for example. So that's one thing I absolutely loved about sixth form.

Secondly, your class will be full of students who actually love studying their subjects. Not all of them, but a lot of them. I went to a state sixth form, so my class may not have as many A grades students as other sixth forms might do, but we all got along just as fine.

Finally, the smarter and more hard working you are, the more popular you get. From my experience as well, I realised I made more friends because I was known as one of the clever students in the class, and my teachers used to love me. I still talk to my old Chemistry teacher on Facebook.
mjk27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ecdysiastt)
I went to the sixth form at my current school. People stay in the circles for a bit but eventually it'll break down. Since classes are smaller and everyone is more mature you end up being friendlier with people you normally wouldn't have spoken to
When would you say that groups break down? I’m a few days in and already feel very impatient for that to happen because everyone’s in their old friendship groups and I was hoping for a fresh start so feel a bit lonely (I’ve stayed on at my old school).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (21)
18.1%
I'm not sure (2)
1.72%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (34)
29.31%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (56)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed